Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Are parents still teaching their daughters to be ladies? While I believe women achieving everything they may desire in their hearts, there is a certain way to carry yourself. Is that a lost art?

Things my mother taught me:
*A professional/educated women should never have to announce her background or achievement -it should be apparent by the way you dress and how you carry yourself.
*Don't be loud. Everyone in your vicinity should not clearly hear your conversation.
*The man that is a professional is looking for a woman that matches his presentation and appearance.

As a mother/father - do you teach your children to act like ladies?
These things aren't 'ladylike', just sexist.

My kids are naturally inclined to speak quietly when appropriate. In fact, they sometimes remind me to turn my volume down. They know when not to disturb others in public, that's just good manners. They've learned manners from the many adults who have had positive influence in their lives, and learned what not to do from watching jerks in action.

They also know that if you don't toot your own horn, you won't get the respect you deserve. Women are overlooked and underpaid in many (if not most professions). Have you ever heard of the glass ceiling? It still exists. And what do you consider a 'profession'? I'm a children's librarian. I'm an educator and I have a master's degree. I wear colorful clothes and comfortable sneakers some days and I make a complete fool of myself at storytime. So for me, that is how I announce my achievement, because I am DARN good at what I do. Whatever work my kids end up doing, I expect them to give 100% and present themselves with the most important clothing of all: confidence!

Regardless of my 'presentation and appearance', I expect the man I am looking for to think my profession is super cool, and I expect him to be equally engaged by what he is passionate about. If that means he wears a suit, or sneakers to work, fine with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I wasn't raised to be much of anything and I, too, joined the Corps. That's where I learned that I represented a superior institution and I would be looked at with interest and criticism. That's where I learned there was a right and a wrong way to carry myself. That people judged you on how you presented yourself. ladylike was an unspoken but highly encouraged idea. That good personal hygiene, makeup application, conservative attire and manners would get you much further in life AND in the Marine Corps. I've been in a male-dominated industry for 30 years and I'm as ladylike as possible. And I'm good at my job and have done well.

Of course, people are often surprised to learn I was once in the Marine Corps (for 9 yrs active duty) because I'm not the typical hose-beast they imagine we all are. Thanks Bake! j/k Semper Fi.

Not a ladylike phrase fyi.

As for the rest..everyone, male and female, benefits from dress and demeanor appropriate to the occasion.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:36 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
I sure hope I am. I'm proud of my girls.I want them to see what a man should be to a woman, in how I treat their mother, who is awesome.

This one has grown up on me fast....
Attached Thumbnails
Are you raising your daughters to be ladies?-img_4090.jpg  

Old 07-13-2015, 10:38 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
The one about the way you dress has me scratching my head in this day and age. I went to an Ivy League law school but work in a casual tech environment, so don't really dress like a "lady" - if that means proper business attire

Old 07-13-2015, 10:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
My daughter's personality is such that she's naturally quiet and polite and she dresses modestly of her own volition. I'm trying to teach her to stand up for herself and things she believes in, to be self-confident and to be a contributing member of society.

I have no idea where that falls on the spectrum of "ladylike" behavior and I don't care.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:12 AM

951 posts, read 1,452,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm raising my kids to be polite and considerate, but not defining it as being ladylike.

I was raised to be ladylike:

Don't ever raise your voice.
Always smile.
Don't make a fuss about anything, ever.

It didn't serve me well and I would not limit my kids that way.
That is why American women is not liked much

and American men tend to or prefer marrying Asian women.

I miss the days where women are like real women.

There is a reason why there is huge demand for Asian women.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

You make women sound like makes of cars. One doesn't "order" a partner. Perhaps that's why you have trouble finding women who've met you?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post

Have you ever met an actual "real" woman?
I am a real woman no matter how I am dressed, what I am doing or who I am with.
As far as being a lady, I don't carry a parasol, wear what is considered dress up clothes most of the time but I don't fart, belch or scratch my lady parts in public either so I guess I can still be a lady.

PS ~~ Real women come in all makes, models, and colors .............just like Real men and Pick Up Trucks....

Old 07-13-2015, 11:55 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
This reminds me of Candice Bergen's autobiography "A Fine Romance" in which she writes that the French disliked her show "Murphy Brown" because they like their women to be soft spoken and flirty (manipulative) and yes ladylike in dress and manner way and Murphy was anything but that.

Honesty should be used at all times. Consideration should be used at all times. Dignity should be used at all times.

But, there are times you have to be quiet and times you have to shout. So, when it comes down to it, if a woman has to be a "Murphy Brown," forget the ladylike poses. If that's not ladylike, too bad. We are not in France.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:18 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
I was taught to be quiet, modest, and "ladylike." Thank God I outgrew that nonsense.
Modest, quiet, ladylike... these are NOT things that define a woman.

My dad used to advise me to "beat up" the kid who bullied me. But, on the other hand, I was expected to dress up for church, not be loud, not to 'talk back' to my elders (which led to me being sexually abused by multiple neighbor men for many, many years. I was afraid to speak up and 'talk back,' which is ridiculous.) Women-ladies-females... whichever word you prefer... SHOULD speak up and speak out. Never should a little girl be taught to kowtow and acquiesce if it's not the right thing for her to do.

I'm considerate of others, am kind to animals and children, and know how to behave in public... like a decent human being of any gender should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting