Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,600 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious on how much you plan to spend on school clothes for your children, where you're shopping and how many outfits do you plan on buying? I wanted to know what everyone thinks is a good (fair) amount to spend on your kids and how many clothes are too much?

I have 2 girls in school this upcoming fall, we plan on spending around $250 per child.

$150-$175-Clothes (6 outfits each), underwear and socks
$50- 2 pairs of shoes
$50- Backpack and school supplies

I plan on buying all of their clothes online because of sales and more clothing options. Also, I'm doing most of my shopping at Target, H&M and Old Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
We never bought clothes for back to school. The weather is still warm and we just continue with the summer wardrobe.
School supplies varied year to year.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
I am not really buying them new clothes for the new school year, just whenever they need a size up. But I do most of my shopping at consignment sales and stuff. I rarely buy *new* new clothing. They get that from their grandma for their birthdays and holidays. I sometimes get stuff from The Children's Place when they go on sale though.

I will probably buy them each a new pair or two of shoes, which will probably be up to $50 each kid. I did buy them both new backpacks, which were $30 each. I spent a total of $115 on the school supply list for both kids combined, so that's almost $60 each there. So that's almost $150 per kid total. We go back to school on Monday, so that's everything. I haven't bought the shoes yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:01 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
For Supplies (Backpacks, locker stuff, paper, Pens etc) about $100/year

School "Pep" ie: Tshirts Hats ... ~50$ year

Clothing/Shoes etc are just ongoing, Don't really do "Back to School clothing"

Old 07-10-2015, 03:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
Typically, I buy them each 5 pairs of jeans/pants/shorts and 5 tops. One "jacket" each and a pair of shoes. New underwear and socks for each as well- About $400 for the two of them total.

I buy a ton of notebooks, pens, pencils, glue, poster boards, etc at the BTS sales (about $50) so that I don't have to buy more at higher prices midway thru the year. Probably another $25 per kid once supply lists come out, though the freshman year was more like $100 additional

This year, money is really tight, so our budget will be "needs only". Hoping to get through the non clothes/shoes for less than $50. Clothes and shoes - I know I've got at least one new pair to buy, possibly two. Hoping for less than $200 total cost, but daughter had a growth spurt just as summer started... outgrew her shoes, pants, shorts, tees... everything, so she is going to need a couple pairs of jeans, a new jacket as well as the shoes. The boy needs shoes too - and his are $60-75/pr every 3 months. Cheaper shoes for him only last a month

Old 07-10-2015, 03:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
I ordered the school supplies for the classroom through the school. I think it was $90 for both kids. It's still warm here too so they will continue with summer clothes as well. They will get shoes as needed. I will pick up the extras (kleenex,wipes, paper towels) as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
We don't do back to school clothes either. I was surprised, at least for elementary kids, it isn't a "thing" any more. And wasn't for my boys all through high school. For me it was what you did from kinder on and a big deal.

We are in a new climate so we will be spending a ton on actual winter clothes. They used to wear pretty much the same clothes all year round so I always bought when they sized up or when there were sales. Now we are going to need full winter gear. Eek! I think its going to cost a lot.

I don't buy fancy clothes, mostly target and old navy. The kids are so hard on their clothes and grow so fast.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
School supplies were $75 each. They both have plenty of shorts and t-shirts and only wear pants when it is literally freezing. They'll each need a new pair of jeans or 2, but they have everything else. They got new shoes this summer. The only thing we may need are winter jackets. I don't like to skimp on those.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:38 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
Do not buy online. Support your local stores. My advice is that you should go cheap unless it is private school and all is provided. Your kids are there to do one thing. Get an in-class review, and do homework. In general passing tests are great thing too.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:56 PM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
I usually just go through my sons cloths n see what he needs. usually $100 on shoes yhat will last all year and I speny $60 on his back pack but that is still good from last year. the cheep shoes and back packs just dont hold up.

most of the time I have to spend a couple hundred once it gets cold.and a $100 or so on a nice winter coat. for the year its probably around $800 for everything he needs. My dad ususlly kicks in a couple hundred on some outfits too so that helps out too. being the only child and grandchild he gets hooked up pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting