Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
have you seen the new show? It's strangly... Intelligent and entertaining, for a kid's show, while still being age appropriate, which is really hard to do!

My daughter who is 6 is into the show. However, now that we've watched it, both me, my (very heterosexual, engineer, self-confident, football-loving) husband and my almost 4 year old son are all fans. It's a fun show which does a good job at transcending age and gender. The only things really girly about the show is the "look" and the fact that the ponies are mostly girls.

I would not be worried about the bronie kid. In fact, i'd take it as a sign of above average intelligence for a boy to be able to see past the perception of the show and enjoy it for what it is.

^^^ that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Not to judge, but I am going to judge...

This is weird, one of my friend's kids is a "bronie". I have never heard of this, but it's a thing where teenage boys are into "my little pony", a girls toy / doll / tv show

Weird or what? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronie...My_Little_Pony
First world "problems"

Old 07-13-2015, 06:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Yeah, a boy watching episodes of "My Little Pony" is not a 'brony' any more than a girl watching "WWE" is a 'femestler '.

THIS is a 'brony'.

http://cdn.thedailybeast.com/content...730.cached.jpg

Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 PM

53 posts, read 62,604 times
I am 29 and every bit a brony! On the MLP forum I visit they have all ages, I've even seen a few in their 40s and even 50s. It has great characters, stories, etc. etc. It's ridiculous that just because it's "girly" (which, other than it being a primarily female cast is about the only "girly" thing in it) it's somehow wrong, or inherently inferior to what would be compared to "boyish" stuff.

Why is it acceptable for women to like typical man things but if a man likes something that's "girly" it's wrong?

Old 07-13-2015, 08:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I didn't know that was still around (the bronie thing). I haven't seen it in several years, so I thought maybe it died down. When I had dinner at a restaurant near a costume convention of some sort several years ago (there are so many, I am not sure which one this was- not comic con), there were several grown men dressed up as my little pony.

My 11yo daughter and 13yo son love My Little Pony (but my son would never call himself a brony)

Old 07-13-2015, 09:15 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
There's a documentary out on the brony phenomenon (it's in my Netflix queue):

BronyDoc Film Official Site | "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony"

A friend of mine has a son in his early 20s who loves cosplay and the brony life as well as being a heavy duty gamer. He says ir's a nonsexual thing, it's about friendship mostly and that bronies apparently look down on those who try to sexualize it. I think he likes it in part because it aggravates his younger sister.

I don't know ... The older I get the weirder the world seems to be.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Not to judge, but I am going to judge...

This is weird, one of my friend's kids is a "bronie". I have never heard of this, but it's a thing where teenage boys are into "my little pony", a girls toy / doll / tv show

Weird or what? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronie...My_Little_Pony
Sorry, but as the friend of a bronie your kid is now a "Fronie" and clearly forever tainted by evil. Better make a new one asap, and try harder not to "screw" this one up.

Last edited by wac_432; 07-13-2015 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: Since when was "screw" this a naughty CD word?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:23 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
just to side track: my stage name used to by 'Brony" before Bronies were a thing, I had to change it as I don't want people to get the wrong idea (I'm not trying to offend any bronies, I am don't want it connected to my music), does that make me a hipster?

Old 07-14-2015, 05:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Comics, fantasy and mythical creatures- when have boys ever NOT liked these things?

Old 07-14-2015, 08:11 AM

135 posts, read 258,164 times
I'd love my children no matter what, but that being said, my son is in his 30s now, but he used to love Jem and the Holograms when he was a kid, and even had a couple of the dolls and some coloring books and sticker books. Trust me, he is all man, and women love him. My friend's son used to love Barbies when he was little. He's married with 2 kids now and is a very successful hair and clothes stylist.

Kids grow out of things. I, on the other hand, was a real tomboy when little and didn't like girly stuff at all, but when hormones hit at 13, I was "all girl" from there on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting