Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

I think Apollo Nova Scotia is just too many syllables. Apollo Scott would work better -- I agree with the poster who says it would take too much explaining to name a kid after a region with no special associations that you have no connection to.

And I would expect him to get into middle school and get called "Polly" or "Pollywog."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I think it is too much. Apollo with a traditional middle name, maybe. Or name your next pet with some or all of these.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
If you want to incorporate your heritage, why not pick an ancestral name instead of a place name?

Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
I agree with Apollo Scott. That's a great name. Any boy would be lucky to have such a name.

But names that end with "a" are usually for girls.

You don't have to shorten Apollo for everyday usage at home. Just call him Scott.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,454,442 times
Hope you don't live somewhere with El Pollo Loco or I envision children calling him El Pollo Loco

I wish parents who play the naming game for their children would all have to let their child at about age 10, after enduring, say, five years of school to rename both parents whatever they want and the parents have to use that legal name for five years. Perhaps not all would take advantage of getting back but I bet it would redirect the misguided 'look at me' parents who think they are clever.

Remember the wisdom "A good Name is Better to be chosen than great riches"?
Well, this is a poor name. You can do much better -

How about Apollo William Wallace?

Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM

5 posts, read 3,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
First, you should name your kid whatever you want to name him and don't rely on other people's opinions as you'll get your feelings hurt.

Second, you should consider what the name looks like on a resume as he will have this name his entire life.

With that, do you realize Nova Scotia is a province in Canada so no one will get your New Zealand and Scottish connection?
So right! Name your kids what you want

As far as considering future impact, from experience I urge you to consider falcon headwests opinion. I have three children, two who entered college and the job market within the last few years and both complain about their names (uniqueness, difficulty, etc). Though their names have beautiful meanings I wish I would have named them something simpler, or at least English,so that they weren't always mispronounced or teased.

Also, it makes it easier learning their names in school etx.

Having obvious ethnic names makes it easier for employers to discriminate... And yes they still do!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,994 times
I like Apollo and second these suggestions:
Paul Scott
Apollo Scott
Apollo William

Old 07-18-2015, 06:19 PM

103 posts, read 88,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysuxx View Post
I think as a first name Apollo is really cool, i like what it means and as an avid fan of outer space I like its relation to the Apollo Program. For a middle name I though Nova Scotia sounded cool, it's Latin for New Scotland and I'm from New Zealand but have Scottish ancestors so that's kind of a node to that heratiger but more than that I think it just sounds cool, do you think it's too much or okay? Also since Apollo is 3 syllables I was thinking it would probably end up being abbreviated, any ideas as for what to abbreviate Apollo to? Thanks
Sounds stupid, I mean seriously, why do we let some people have (and name) kids?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
name him Kai, that's my grandson's name I think it's the coolest name ever

Old 07-18-2015, 06:47 PM

723 posts, read 868,510 times
Pretentious ****e.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting