Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 PM

336 posts, read 716,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Another example: one place where we previously lived considers school staff to have just cause to beat children with boards if the child addresses a teacher or other staff as "Mr. Lastname" or "Mrs. Lastname" instead of saying 'Ma'am' or 'Sir.'

Read about what's known as 'poisonous pedagogy- cruelty in child-rearing,' this type of child abuse cannot be allowed to continue!!!
Where was this so I know never to live there? !

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

40 posts, read 36,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
My mom would slap my face when we'd be arguing and she'd just get pissed and hit me.
Now I'm extra flinchy when people move quickly near my face.

Do your kids a favor and quit hitting them in the face.
Barbaric...just barbaric.
I was never spanked, paddled, etc. but my mom would always slap me in the face; until I was 12 and had enough of that. I grabbed her arm mid-slap and she Moderator cut: edit was thinking I was going to put her on the floor, but I had no intention of causing her any harm and just let go after a few seconds of her flipping out.

Needless to say, though, I wasn't slapped by my mother one time after that day. I do have to say I was also flinchy for a few years but I got over it.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-19-2015 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: filtered words are not allowed no matter how they are disguised

Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Science has recently shown that spanking as a form of discipline harms the child in the long run.

Lack of discipline also harms the child.

The solution is very very easy. Learn how to effectively discipline your child WITHOUT hitting them. Timeouts, taking away privileges, positive and negative reinforcement, are all very effective discipline tools that don't require hitting.

Parents who ignore science and just hit their kids instead of disciplining them another way are lazy and doing their kids a disservice. But hey, that's okay, because it gives the rest of our kids an advantage. There's no law that says that you have to want the best for your kid. Feel free to screw them up to your heart's desire. I have the law of the survival of the fittest on my side.
except when these do not work...the child looks you dead in the face and says "I don't care"

parents have to tailor their discipline to the individual child
some respond well to loss of toys or privelages, timeouts...some respond well to positive reinforcement
and some need their asses smacked

I swore id never spank my kids...and it worked for the first 2...the third is 6 and she does not respond to any of the feel good methods...she is the only child I have spanked...and I don't hit the face, just the butt

Old 09-03-2015, 08:05 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
We've made it to 3 1/2 with no spankings and it's been pretty easy. I'm amazed at the parents who think parents have to spank their kids.

For the record, both my wife and I were spanked and whipped (borderline abuse in a few instances).

Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
except when these do not work...the child looks you dead in the face and says "I don't care"

some respond well to loss of toys or privelages, timeouts...some respond well to positive reinforcement

I swore id never spank my kids...and it worked for the first 2...the third is 6 and she does not respond to any of the feel good methods...she is the only child I have spanked...and I don't hit the face, just the butt
My parents used to stick me in the bathroom. No books, toys or music. No reason to leave to use the toilet. No reason to need to leave for a glass of water. The boredom destroyed me.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:48 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlerntForceTrauma View Post
I was never spanked, paddled, etc. but my mom would always slap me in the face; until I was 12 and had enough of that. I grabbed her arm mid-slap and she Moderator cut: edit was thinking I was going to put her on the floor, but I had no intention of causing her any harm and just let go after a few seconds of her flipping out.

Needless to say, though, I wasn't slapped by my mother one time after that day. I do have to say I was also flinchy for a few years but I got over it.
LOL - yeah, i took care of that with my mom when I just smacked her back one day. She'd startled me when she hit me that time and I just reacted. That put an end to the face smacking. I was bigger, stronger and had a higher pain tolerance than she did. I could see her doing the math as she looked at me in the aftermath.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:10 PM

176 posts, read 189,545 times
Hitting a man or a woman is punished by law. Then why would it be ok to do that to a child?

Does anyone remember happily the moment when they were hit or slapped, if that ever happened to them as children or adults? No, even if that happened when they were grown up people, even it wasn't very painful physically, it still hurt them emotionally, humiliated them, infuriated them or upset them and made them feel impotent. If any person of any age is exposed to physical punishment over a period of time, of course it will have a long term effect on them. Some will tolerate it better than others probably, but it would still hurt them, and some will be traumatised and have to deal with that and try to heal and adjust.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:

You decided not to figure out what would work with the third child and just resorted to beating her....great.

No child needs hit.

Last edited by ScarletG; 09-03-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
If they don't care, then you need to look at yourself and ask yourself why.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:

Disciplining children can be a difficult and trying process. But that's parenting - sometimes things do not work out as you intend.

That does not justify hitting. Just because hitting produces the desire result of a child ceasing a behavior, it does not therefore following that hitting is acceptable. The ends do not justify the means.

Hitting is lazy. "Well, not hitting wasn't working, so I hit her - and now she's not doing that thing I didn't want her to do! So I had to hit her!". No, you did not. You did not have to hit her. You chose to hit her. It was a bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting