Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Because you don't want to leave a toddler unattended? How do you shower once the kids are awake?

I did leave my toddlers unattended, gated and safe, in their bedroom or living room while I showered and used the bathroom. I never brought my kids into the bathroom with me at home. Not even when they were newborns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
If it's not the kids, it's the cat and the dog. I lock the door, but since I share a room and bathroom with my husband, he unlocks it. Then it's visiting time for everyone. My kids know it bugs me so they do it as a joke and try to get the rest of the family in there too.
Totally LOL

Old 07-30-2015, 08:43 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I highly doubt that most girls below the age of 16 even know what a urinal is used for and could be mistaken for a fountain.

..... There are even cases where some women take their children into the same stall with them while they use it. That's just as unacceptable,
Seriously?!? You don't think girls under 16 know what a urinal is?!?

What is wrong with a mom taking her children into a stall with her?

Nothing, that's what.

Once I had children, my days of going to the bathroom by myself were over. Any parent can relate to that.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Once I had children, my days of going to the bathroom by myself were over. Any parent can relate to that.
Sorry, don't relate. Those days are over?? I have three kids and have/had no problem going to the bathroom by myself. Leave the baby in the crib for 5 minutes and go to the bathroom. Give the toddler a toy or a couple of books and lock the door for 5 minutes. And even if leaving a baby alone for 5 minutes sounds either unsafe or traumatic to you, do you mean to say that people who have children of elementary school age or older still have their kids in there hanging over them while they're on the toilet?

In public, yes, I did take the little ones into the stall with me a few times. I was not often in a really public setting where that was necessary. For instance, in the little bathroom at the library, I would leave the toddler in the stroller right outside the stall. There was rarely anyone else in the bathroom there anyway.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:50 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Excellent post. I cannot believe any decent parent would bring their female child into a room full of nude men. How sick
As I've said before, I don't spend my free time hanging out in men's restrooms so I might be wrong, but... room full of nude men?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 AM

400 posts, read 413,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Before our YMCA got very strict about prohibiting children, above age six, in the locker room/changing room of the opposite sex I would often notice boys who were clearly seven, eight or nine openly staring at women changing. One boy, probably about nine years old, used to walk away from his mother and just plant himself directly in front of any woman who he wanted to look at while Mom totally ignored this behavior. Once he even stood on the bench to try to get a better look at the breasts of a taller woman!

Quite a few of us complained to management. They told her that he was not allowed in the women's locker room anymore and either had to use the men's locker room or use the family bathroom/changing room with her. Mom complained and complained to everyone that they were "discriminating" against her baby by not letting him go with her intro the woman's locker room. Sheesh!
I'll tell you what. I would be OUTRAGED if such a thing happened to me. Snap the little bas'turd' with a towel. Whats the matter with people? Is there not any decency anymore? Little girls do not need to be in the men's restroom either. How do you think the men who use the bathroom feel? I've seen lots of little girls using the lady's room while the father waited outside.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
It depends on the place, I don't take my kids into the public bathroom unless they need to go and I'm the only parent where family rooms don't exist.

I have seen 10-13 yr old girls in the guys bathroom and I personally don't care. I go about my business, if it bothers you then you can find a stall and be your own.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes that is part of the problem because so many parents are so worried all the time about something happening to their kids that they won't even use the bathroom without all being together in the same room. Read back over the thread. The overriding emotion driving these decisions is fear.
This I agree with ^^ except I've not personally seen more than one parent in the room.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
As I've said before, I don't spend my free time hanging out in men's restrooms so I might be wrong, but... room full of nude men?
that was a response to someone else who mentioned a situation where a young girl was in a locker room full of grown men who were dressing.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sorry, don't relate. Those days are over?? I have three kids and have/had no problem going to the bathroom by myself. .
I have 3 kids as well. It was far easier to go to the bathroom at home with the door open than to close it. If the kids did not open it, one of the cats would. Or the dog. Or the kid would ride the dog while I was in the bathroom. Etc.

Soooooooo many crisis were averted by simply peeing with the door open. No one was traumatized. (except maybe the cat).

When we went places (which was often - I was a SAHM who took my kids to many museums, library story hours, zoos, etc. etc etc.), if someone had to go to the bathroom, we either used a family restroom, or we all fit into the handicapped stall. It truly was NO BIG DEAL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting