Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm rather gob-smacked by many of the responses on this thread and as to how inconsiderate of the privacy of others is so disregarded by selfish, molly-coddling parents. Why should you and your kids be allowed special rights over others? How many of you media-manipulated paranoid helicopter parents considered the nasty world - where other people (gasp) live - you were about to bring your precious kids into before you had them in the first place?
I have to agree with you and it bothers me that so many of my peer parents are like this because their kids grow up with mine. Not everything is about our children, our feelings, our thoughts on life and our desires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I myself appear to be unable to see anyone seeking "special rights" for anything. They are a public restroom and no one has impinged on the privacy of anyone. Over react much?
If a room is designated men's room or women's room the "special right" is ignoring the room's purpose. There are breastfeeding areas in certain stores. Can I just take my lunch in and sit down and eat while a mother is breastfeeding her child? There is no reason to ignore these set ups.

Now I don't have a problem with unisex bathrooms but that isn't what we are talking about here.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:23 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
I myself appear to be unable to see anyone seeking "special rights" for anything. They are a public restroom and no one has impinged on the privacy of anyone. Over react much?
Parents assume 'special rights' when they think to barge into a gender specific public restroom with their opposite gender kids with nary any consideration for others. You know ..."others" who they and their pampered kids share planet Earth with!?!

Maybe I am seemingly overreacting but I find many, many modern-day parents sickeningly overprotective of their kids. I shudder to think of our society in a few years time when these kids have to face life without their parents and (gasp) become responsible for themselves. How will they ever make it?

Anyway, while so many parents expect everyone else to be as obsessed with their kids as they are I've got news for them. They aren't! As for parents these days wanting to spend more 'quality time' hovering over their charges, if the truth be known, the real “quality time” for kids these days is probably the fleeting seconds when the parent leaves them alone!

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 08-03-2015 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 08:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If a room is designated men's room or women's room the "special right" is ignoring the room's purpose.
Except no one is doing such thing. We are talking about children here. Not "men" or "women". It says nothing about "boys" and "girls". If you want privacy by all means go home and seek it. PUBLIC restrooms however do not conform to strict unbending never to be changed rules that you might want them to.

Quote:
Parents assume 'special rights' when they think to barge into a gender specific public restroom with their opposite gender kids with nary any consideration for others.
The only consideration you appear to be seeking "for others" is that we conform to your way of seeing it. So it is your looking for special privileges no one else. The Gender specifications are related to the adults, not the children they bring in there with them. That is why we call it the "mens room" and not the "males room". Or have you found some rule book lying around that no one has let me read yet as to how rigorously enforced the gender divide has to be? By all means show me the rule book and what it has to say on the subject of accompanying children - or shall we just admit that you are making your own rule book up as you go along and are getting haughty at the concept that some people might not conform?

Quote:
I find many, many modern-day parents sickeningly overprotective of their kids.
Maybe you do but I do not see what this has to do with this thread. This is about people bringing children into public rest rooms - not about modern day parenting methods. In fact aside from your first sentence in this post - the rest of it appears off topic and just a rant about how you view yourself above modern day parents.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:11 AM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Parents assume 'special rights' when they think to barge into a gender specific public restroom with their opposite gender kids with nary any consideration for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus
The only consideration you appear to be seeking "for others" is that we conform to your way of seeing it. So it is your looking for special privileges no one else.
Nonsense. I previously made my point so no use making it again.

Quote:
The Gender specifications are related to the adults, not the children they bring in there with them. That is why we call it the "mens room" and not the "males room".
The last time I checked a male is a man. A female child is a girl.

Quote:
Or have you found some rule book lying around that no one has let me read yet as to how rigorously enforced the gender divide has to be? By all means show me the rule book and what it has to say on the subject of accompanying children - or shall we just admit that you are making your own rule book up as you go along and are getting haughty at the concept that some people might not conform?
As said, I made my statement previously. No point covering the same ground repeatedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
I find many, many modern-day parents sickeningly overprotective of their kids.
Quote:
Maybe you do but I do not see what this has to do with this thread.
It's got everything to do with it. The only reason parents might invade the privacy of other adults without consideration is because of overprotecting their kids.

Quote:
This is about people bringing children into public rest rooms - not about modern day parenting methods. In fact aside from your first sentence in this post - the rest of it appears off topic and just a rant about how you view yourself above modern day parents.
AS said, I made my statement previously and I stand by it. I have no fight with you as far as I know.

Last edited by RomulusXXV; 08-03-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 09:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Helicopter parenting, I swear. Shoot, I was letting my children go to the bathroom themselves when they were 3. People are way too paranoid of kidnappers nowadays.

I know I'd said something if a girl was in the men's room with me. I'd been like "uh, hell-freaking-low?"
That's irresponsible. 3 year olds still need help. No telling how many kind strangers helped them if needed.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's irresponsible. 3 year olds still need help. No telling how many kind strangers helped them if needed.
3 year olds aren't trust worthy either, or able to manage a tricky situation (flooding toilet, etc)

Old 08-03-2015, 09:44 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Except no one is doing such thing. We are talking about children here. Not "men" or "women". It says nothing about "boys" and "girls". If you want privacy by all means go home and seek it. PUBLIC restrooms however do not conform to strict unbending never to be changed rules that you might want them to.
17-year-old males are legally "boys" and not "men." Do you want them in the ladies room?

I think that a man or a woman should have a reasonable expectation of being able to enter a public restroom without finding members of the opposite gender in there with them. But I also think that it's reasonable that young children need to be accompanied by their parents -- including those times when nature calls for either of them. So I think the question is not all or nothing, but rather, at what age is it no longer appropriate for a parent to bring their opposite-sex child into the bathroom with them?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Boys and men are males. A men's room is for males.

Girls and women are females. A women's room is for females.

Yes we are talking about children being brought into opposite sex bathrooms when they are way too old to be there and when there are other options available.

If you are that worried about your child's "safety" by all means (a) go home and use your own bathroom or (b) use the family room. PUBLIC restrooms that are gender specific and that, my friend, is a fact. Bending the rules into what you want them to be? Isn't that exactly what you are doing when you ignore the fact that these are gender specific rooms you are speaking about?

Old 08-03-2015, 02:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Last time I checked, both ladies' rooms and mens' rooms contained stalls. If privacy is really an issue for some adults, I suggest you use them. Otherwise, it's up to the parents and the children to decide when they are comfortable using separate facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting