Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:32 PM

20 posts, read 34,906 times

Advertisements

I have a hyperactive impulsive 3 year old. While researching natural herbs, I came across Calm Child by Planetary Formulas. Is anyone familiar with it? I am anti "medicine" and am not even considering it at this point as the long term effects haven't been researched enough for me. If anyone is familiar with Calm Child or any other non medicine, not addictive herb alternative, please share. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
No, but I'd highly recommend having him checked out by a qualified doc. There could be any number of things going on with him.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, he's been checkout by a qualified doctor as well as a counselor. Just looking for advice on some natural remedies from parents who have had success with them previously.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:11 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXGal View Post
I have a hyperactive impulsive 3 year old. While researching natural herbs, I came across Calm Child by Planetary Formulas. Is anyone familiar with it? I am anti "medicine" and am not even considering it at this point as the long term effects haven't been researched enough for me. If anyone is familiar with Calm Child or any other non medicine, not addictive herb alternative, please share. Thank you!
Do you know that your 'natural' herbal remedies contain chemicals (the horror!)....and they've been studied even less than actual medicine and are unregulated??

But hey...Dr. Google is all you need. Let's hope you child doesn't pay the price.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Do you know that your 'natural' herbal remedies contain chemicals (the horror!)....and they've been studied even less than actual medicine and are unregulated??

But hey...Dr. Google is all you need. Let's hope you child doesn't pay the price.
Thanks, Scarlet, that's actually why I was asking. You answered the question, even if it was in a smart ass way, I'll take that. Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:11 AM

90 posts, read 104,724 times
I am all for natural remedies. But buying the pre-made ones that have who knows what in them that aren't regulated might not even have the herbs listed on the bottle, and could cause serious harm. Do a lot of research on them before you buy them. My advice is buy the herbs in their natural form and make tea. that way you know exactly what you are putting in your child. Chamomile is great for calming and you can find tea easily made of chamomile in the grocery store. Some other great herbs are passion flower, lemon balm, Valerian root, and ashwagandha. I would research these because some might not be suitable for children. If there's any around I'd go to your local health food stores and see what kind of herbs they have and talk to the people who work there.

But please don't be anti-medicine! Some medicine helps a lot of people and not all of it is bad. Plenty of it is, but don't cross all of them off your list. natural remedies can be just as harmful than the stuff doctors prescribe, and they aren't regulated or even been proven to work. Do your research first then decide what medications would be best for your child.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
My 7 year old was recently diagnosed with ADHD; although I've known since she was a baby she was more active/impulsive than was typical. She's not on any meds; but there is a lot of research out there about food allergies/sensitivities manifesting as ADHD so maybe consider that as a possibility. I'm all about natural remedies myself but I wouldn't try unregulated herbs, ect.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
3 years old is too young for medicating no matter what, so I am with you on that. I wouldn't suggest any "natural remedies" as far as herbal supplements...because, well they are medicine too.

My first suggestion would be behavior modification and parent training. Him being so young, that would likely help tons. A therapist would be the person to contact for that.

You could try diffusing essential oils. Lavender is quite calming. And diet mods are something worth trying, as cjmeck mentioned.

Good luck, I know 3 year olds are hard enough but hyperactive ones...eek!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
I have a very hyperactive 9yr old. When he was little we tried every dietary intervention on the planet. Supplements too, omega 3 was popular at the time, melatonin, rubbing his feet with oils. Nothing really works.

What works best is tons of exercise (tons), good healthy structured meals, the same bedtime every night, and limited screens. Also remember that hyperactive children often have hyperactive brains so things like Legos, chess, circuit boards (when he's older) also keep them busy.

The impulsive behavior is still an issue for us but it improves with time. I'd recommend keeping him out of early preschool if you have that option. Its just too hard for some kids to handle themselves well at that age. Best of luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Thank you xRedd, cjmeck, HighFlyingBird, and hml 1976! Great advice and input by all, I really appreciate it. Glad I asked before moving forward with anything. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting