Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:43 AM

176 posts, read 189,545 times

Advertisements

''Wearable Alarms. With wearable alarms, the child wears the moisture sensor in or on their sleepwear. This type of sensor will detect moisture almost immediately. The sensor is attached to the alarm box with a cord that can be worn under the shirt. These are the best alarms for most children.''

Wireless Alarms. A wireless alarm is one in which the sensor and the alarm unit communicate by means other than a wire. The transmitter which senses the moisture is directly attached to the child's underwear. The signal is transmitted wirelessly to a unit that is across the room from the child. Once the alarm unit is activated, it is necessary to get out of bed to turn it off.

This type of alarm is useful for children who prefer not to wear a shirt to bed or ones who find wearing an alarm with a cord to be difficult or uncomfortable.

Pad-type Alarms. Bell and pad alarms do not attach to the child in any way. The moisture sensor is in the form of a pad or mat that the child sleeps on top of. The pad detects moisture after urine has leaked onto it. The alarm unit is connected with a cord and usually sits on a bedside table. This alarm requires a larger amount of urine to be released before the sensor can detect it, and the child must be on the pad for it to sense moisture. This alarm may be preferable for the child who cannot stand having anything attached to their clothing.''

I don't know how many other types of alarms are on the market, but I wouldn't interrupt my child's much needed sleep with an alarm ringing in the middle of the night. I would not make my child sleep with a chord attached to his body, underwear, or anything similar. I'd give his body time to develop and I'd simply change his wet bed sheet every morning with not a negative remark ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 12:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
I don't know how many other types of alarms are on the market, but I wouldn't interrupt my child's much needed sleep with an alarm ringing in the middle of the night. I would not make my child sleep with a chord attached to his body, underwear, or anything similar. I'd give his body time to develop and I'd simply change his wet bed sheet every morning with not a negative remark ever.
You are really adamant that not a negative remark is ever made, but IMO that is the least of the issues. What about having to shower every morning before school so the child doesn't smell like urine? Its not just changing a sheet, we had to wash blankets and sheets daily. Sleepovers became complicated and the thought of sleep away summer camp was something my DD would not even consider. While we may have never made a single negative comment or remark, she had friends, she was in school and she KNEW that she was alone amongst her peer group when it came to bed wetting. Sure, its not uncommon but when you are the only one in your group you feel like you are the ONLY one.

Upon the advice of DD's Dr. we purchase the wearable alarm. DD was completely onboard with the idea. We hooked the buzzer to her jammie top and the sensor to her panties. For the first week, she slept on a bed in our room and we helped wake her at the first sound of that buzzer, for the second week, she slept in her own room and it woke her up. Within less than 3 weeks DD was waking on her own, before the alarm. In less than a month, we stopped using the alarm, she would get up to pee and she has NEVER had a wet night since. This is the same time line we had with DS and it is similar to what I remember when I was a child and my parents bought the pad alarm for me.

The summer following a few weeks with the alarm and DD was off to sleep away Girl Scout camp, she never hesitated to spend the night with a friend or go to a slumber party. IMO well worth a couple of weeks of being woken up to do something that most of us wake up to do. Our bodies are designed so that we wake up to pee, the majority population that wakes to pee in the middle of the night is not walking around sleep deprived.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Back in the mid 1950's my wife and I had the solution of NO FLUIDS after 6 PM period. They had to relieve themselves at bed time and the wife or I would get them up before we went to bed to relieve themselves again. They never knew they were being out of bed....save us from wet sheets.

I'm here in Baja and a couple up the street had one daughter and here they use the front of their home as a front/back yard thus the bed sheets were out on the line for years......now it's mostly his work Levis on view since she is a young teen now.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:04 PM

176 posts, read 189,545 times
Yes, I'm really adamant about not making negative comments to a child who suffers nocturnal enuresis, the same way noone should make negative comments to a child who needs to wear glasses, has a cold, appendicitis, a heart condition, etc. They are not only totally unfair to and undeserved by the child, but they will have an impact of his whole self-esteem and emotional development, because in front of a negative remark, the child won't differentiate between his condition and his persona.

The situation you described, mamacatnv, is a happy one and I'm glad it worked out easily for your daughter, but not all the children correct that issue in a couple of weeks, and if this becomes a prolonged imposed sleeping method on the child while his condition doesn't improve, it's just another failed way of addressing the problem the child has, drawing negative attention to it, intensifying the child's confusion and feeling of inadequacy, not to mention that he sleeps connected to a cable, sensor, pad or whatever.

Parents should understand and accept that their child's body needs more time to overcome this condition, let him live a perfectly normal day-to-day life, have his drink before going to bed, sleep peacefully, wash his bed sheets, have a quick shower in the morning, unless they want to create him more anxiety and feeling of inadequacy the child already has because of something he can't control.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
mama, I trust our pediatrician and urologist much more than I do some random stranger on the internet. We did as I described and my son is a happy, well adjusted middle school student. Primary nocturnal enuresis is real and is not cured by alarms or other means.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:

This is how we felt plus the fact that primary nocturnal enuresis is not curable by such methods.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
You are really adamant that not a negative remark is ever made, but IMO that is the least of the issues. What about having to shower every morning before school so the child doesn't smell like urine? Its not just changing a sheet, we had to wash blankets and sheets daily. Sleepovers became complicated and the thought of sleep away summer camp was something my DD would not even consider. While we may have never made a single negative comment or remark, she had friends, she was in school and she KNEW that she was alone amongst her peer group when it came to bed wetting. Sure, its not uncommon but when you are the only one in your group you feel like you are the ONLY one.

Upon the advice of DD's Dr. we purchase the wearable alarm. DD was completely onboard with the idea. We hooked the buzzer to her jammie top and the sensor to her panties. For the first week, she slept on a bed in our room and we helped wake her at the first sound of that buzzer, for the second week, she slept in her own room and it woke her up. Within less than 3 weeks DD was waking on her own, before the alarm. In less than a month, we stopped using the alarm, she would get up to pee and she has NEVER had a wet night since. This is the same time line we had with DS and it is similar to what I remember when I was a child and my parents bought the pad alarm for me.

The summer following a few weeks with the alarm and DD was off to sleep away Girl Scout camp, she never hesitated to spend the night with a friend or go to a slumber party. IMO well worth a couple of weeks of being woken up to do something that most of us wake up to do. Our bodies are designed so that we wake up to pee, the majority population that wakes to pee in the middle of the night is not walking around sleep deprived.
Our kids shower every morning before school and we shower every morning before work. What is wrong with that? I didn't mind washing sheets and blankets. Sleepovers were taken care of by Goodnites. Had my son went to summer camp, he would have used Goodnite. No one knew anything about his bedwetting.

DS's doctor's advice was to ride it out because primary nocturnal enuresis resolves itself. It did. No harm, no foul.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
This is how we felt plus the fact that primary nocturnal enuresis is not curable by such methods.
I'd love to read the "FACT" that Primary Nocturnal Enuresis is not curable and that the only solution is to just wait it out.

I've read many articles that disagree, my DD's psychologist wrote his thesis on the subject (same guy who suggested the alarm) Our pediatrician supported the use of an alarm and lo and behold, the alarm system worked for myself and both my kids.

That's a pretty good statistic for something you claim is not curable.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quote:
Yes, I'm really adamant about not making negative comments to a child who suffers nocturnal enuresis, the same way noone should make negative comments to a child who needs to wear glasses, has a cold, appendicitis, a heart condition, etc. They are not only totally unfair to and undeserved by the child, but they will have an impact of his whole self-esteem and emotional development, because in front of a negative remark, the child won't differentiate between his condition and his persona.

The situation you described, mamacatnv, is a happy one and I'm glad it worked out easily for your daughter, but not all the children correct that issue in a couple of weeks, and if this becomes a prolonged imposed sleeping method on the child while his condition doesn't improve, it's just another failed way of addressing the problem the child has, drawing negative attention to it, intensifying the child's confusion and feeling of inadequacy, not to mention that he sleeps connected to a cable, sensor, pad or whatever.

Parents should understand and accept that their child's body needs more time to overcome this condition, let him live a perfectly normal day-to-day life, have his drink before going to bed, sleep peacefully, wash his bed sheets, have a quick shower in the morning, unless they want to create him more anxiety and feeling of inadequacy the child already has because of something he can't control.
No one ever said anything about negative comments. That is the point I am trying to make. I didn't have to say a word for my kids to KNOW that their bed wetting was not common amongst their peers. No amount of me saying "its ok, its natural" was going to fix the way my kids felt because they knew their friends didn't still wet the bed and yet, they still did.

The statistics I have read and from the various research I did over the years state that the alarms work 70-90% of the time

Why would you not want to at least give it a try?
My Daughter took beginning ballet for 3 years - 3 years in the same class, she is not coordinated at all. We didn't care, she didn't care, she loved ballet and even though she never got out of beginning she kept at it.

If you don't try something, you have no idea what the result will be. I cannot fathom letting my kid be a bed wetter for years and years when a trial of a month or two with an alarm at the appropriate age can show quick results. If it doesn't work, then we discuss the issue but if it does work and the statistics back up that it usually will, then why not try it?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I'd love to read the "FACT" that Primary Nocturnal Enuresis is not curable and that the only solution is to just wait it out.

I've read many articles that disagree, my DD's psychologist wrote his thesis on the subject (same guy who suggested the alarm) Our pediatrician supported the use of an alarm and lo and behold, the alarm system worked for myself and both my kids.

That's a pretty good statistic for something you claim is not curable.
Not my claim. The claim of our pediatrician and urologist. If an alarm worked for your children they did not have Primary Nocturnal Enuresis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting