Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2015, 11:15 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
How many medical issues as a percentage of uncircumcised population? .01? .001? .0001? And what are those medical issues exactly? I am curious to know it.

Also would you chop off any other body part in advance just because there is a risk in future (howsoever small)? If not, then why this one?
I guess he got infections (I didn't ask beyond that) and treatment was painful. The doc gave a few options and they choose circumcision.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:24 PM

521 posts, read 991,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I guess he got infections (I didn't ask beyond that) and treatment was painful. The doc gave a few options and they choose circumcision.
Okay, thanks for letting know. Hope he is good now.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,493 times
I live in the Philippines. Here, circumcision is something that all boys are destined to experience. It is a time almost all boy kids are looking forward to. It is anticipated as that of girls' menstrual period. Most families celebrate when a boy in the family reaches the right age to be circumcised (8-12 years old). It all depends on how you give him an understanding about it. The trauma may be replaced into something else like making him feel he is a real great little man because he conquered circumcision. I suggest, make him reach the right circumcision age and while on the wait, make him feel excited about it. Prepare him for the big day and help him "be a man!" That is how we deal with that here in our country.
Aside from that, it is hygienic to be circumcised.

Last edited by MommyMentor; 08-10-2015 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Wrong spelling

Old 08-10-2015, 08:40 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
First of all, the OP specifically asked for MEN to respond, yet many of the posts are from women.

Second of all, congrats on the upcoming birth of your son!

I am a man who was circumcised at birth and who had a son and chose circumcision, although we did debate it for a while. For the record, religion was not a factor.

My wife and I discussed the options with our doctors, and decided on having him circumcised using a Plastibell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastibell

Our OB left the decision up to us, and stated it was about 50/50 with new parents of boys in her practice, but she did recommend the Plastibell method, should we choose circumcision. She stated that her son was circumcised, but did not give a reason. Her father was also an OB and was one of the first physicians in the state of Indiana to utilize the method and it is the only method she uses.

The recovery was exactly as our doctor said it would be, and there really wasn't much to it. The recovery certainly didn't seem to be painful, and it just fell off, as she said it would, in about a week.

As for the reasoning behind our decision, I will admit that it was mainly due to societal norms. When my wife and I (late 30's) were growing up, it was unusual to see uncircumcised penises. I have had more than one woman tell me that she is/was grossed out by uncircumcised penises. I have never heard someone say they are grossed out by circumcised penises. I was in the military with a guy who was ribbed constantly about being "uncut." There were all kinds of "dic k cheese" jokes.

If that is one less thing my son has to worry about while navigating puberty/teenage years/adulthood, then OK. Knowing that with anesthesia and quick and painless healing, it would be a fairly easy procedure, we decided in favor of it.

I was also told by multiple doctors that there are still some health benefits to circumcision, although they are minimal in this day and age.

I absolutely understand why some people choose not to. As has been stated in this thread, we are the only advanced country where the practice is widespread for reasons other than religion, and the tide seems to be turning a bit.

With all of that said, I understand why parents would decide in favor of it, or decide against it, and I wouldn't judge any parent for choosing one way or the other. We're all just trying to do the best we can for our kids and none of us will always make the right decision.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
CirCUMcsion merely exposes the head of the penis. Even when NOT erect and ALWAYS. We do NOT need it protected from insects, and worry about it being somehow injured if dangling ....el natural. Therefore a foreskin is like a appendix or tonsils or TAIL TO PROTECT THE ANUS AND SWAT FLYS.

The penis looks much better without a puckered foreskin. I surely have NO ISSUES WITH A CUT PENIS... and prefer not having THE EXCESS SKIN PUCKERED UP OVER MY PENIS... NO APPOLOGIES.

I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO HAVE A SON CirCumSized. Masturbation and Sex are just fine. Yeah we all do it ... Now and Again...... Has nothing to do with for ones religion.....

Old 08-11-2015, 07:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Our OB left the decision up to us,
Why are you discussing this with the OB rather than the pediatrician? That seems weird to me.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
CirCUMcsion merely exposes the head of the penis. Even when NOT erect and ALWAYS. We do NOT need it protected from insects, and worry about it being somehow injured if dangling ....el natural. Therefore a foreskin is like a appendix or tonsils or TAIL TO PROTECT THE ANUS AND SWAT FLYS.

The penis looks much better without a puckered foreskin. I surely have NO ISSUES WITH A CUT PENIS... and prefer not having THE EXCESS SKIN PUCKERED UP OVER MY PENIS... NO APPOLOGIES.

I WOULD NOT HESITATE TO HAVE A SON CirCumSized. Masturbation and Sex are just fine. Yeah we all do it ... Now and Again...... Has nothing to do with for ones religion.....
So your basically saying that God made a mistake and made the penis ugly so we need to cut the foreskin off?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:23 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMentor View Post
I live in the Philippines. Here, circumcision is something that all boys are destined to experience. It is a time almost all boy kids are looking forward to. It is anticipated as that of girls' menstrual period. Most families celebrate when a boy in the family reaches the right age to be circumcised (8-12 years old). It all depends on how you give him an understanding about it. The trauma may be replaced into something else like making him feel he is a real great little man because he conquered circumcision. I suggest, make him reach the right circumcision age and while on the wait, make him feel excited about it. Prepare him for the big day and help him "be a man!" That is how we deal with that here in our country.
Aside from that, it is hygienic to be circumcised.

I think this is completely barbaric.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think this is completely barbaric.
its your choice but definitely we don't consider it barbaric. its a rite of passage

Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why are you discussing this with the OB rather than the pediatrician? That seems weird to me.
In many instances, the OB is the one who actually performs the circumcision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting