Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'm not a guy, but just putting this out there. My husband was dead set against my son having a circumcision. I'm Jewish, so there was no way I wasn't going to circumcise, but I told him to research things and get back to me. I told him I didn't want to hear about any studies or anything from people we/he didn't know. I wanted him to go find people who weren't circumcised or who became circumcised as an adult. After what he heard from multiple people, he was definitely on my train to get him circumcised.

A couple of things he heard:
The dad of a friend of his from high school had to be circumcised as an adult to join one of the armed forced, can't remember which one. It was a requirement. They deemed it cleaner and potential of less health risks. He said it was the most painful thing he ever had done and wished his mom did it as an infant.

My husband's step father is not circumcised. Believe me, I didn't need to know that either... He said he wished he was because growing up, he got infections and the skin growth would hurt. As a 70 year old man, it's still a burden.

I had him speak to our pediatrician about her experience. She said that more and more parents are opting not to get their boys circumcised and that more and more, she's having to get 5 and 6 year olds circumcised because of issues they're having, being health/hygiene issues or skin growth issues. She said it's very traumatic for a boy of that age to go through something like that and that she recommends circumcision at birth.

We got all this information from personal sources because the internet can tell a good story in either direction, depending on which side you're already on. He would constantly send me links stating why kids shouldn't be circumcised and I was always rebutting with reasons why he should be.

He thought it was very invasive and personal to go ask grown men about their business, but he knew it was the only way I would listen to any information he wanted me to hear. Hope that helps, and I hope you can go ask people in your personal life about their situation.
I too am not a man, but...

I have asked several men who were circumcised after they had become sexually active whether there was any difference in their enjoyment of sex. They all said that circumcision had NOT detracted from their enjoyment of sex whatsoever. They also said that the procedure had been very painful for them, and that they wished it had been done for them as a newborn.

I have seen many problems with uncircumcised boys. Higher rates of urinary tract infections. Until the foreskin can be comfortably retracted for cleaning, infections under the foreskin. Foreskins that cannot be retracted, even after puberty. Boys who complain that the foreskin hurts, even though nothing seems to be wrong.

Nurses who work in nursing homes tell me that uncircumcised elderly men have trouble, too, especially the ones who are in diapers. They have trouble with urinary tract infections and infections under the foreskin.

It takes less than two weeks to completely heal up, done in the newborn period. I would say that about 5% of boys who are not circumcised, run into problems with having a foreskin.

There are many, many people who feel that it is wrong for a parent to make this choice for their son. But the fact is that we, as parents, make so many choices for our children. This one, like immunization, is one that has to be made by the parent for the child, in order for it to benefit the child at the appropriate time.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Penial cancer is rare in countries where there is common circ...much more common in countries where it isn't.

Sorry I am a lady but had to add that since people claimed there were no problems in countries where it wasn't common.

Lets see a link for those statistics......I don't believe it....

Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
There are many, many people who feel that it is wrong for a parent to make this choice for their son. But the fact is that we, as parents, make so many choices for our children. This one, like immunization, is one that has to be made by the parent for the child, in order for it to benefit the child at the appropriate time.
Clearly, genital mutilation is identical to immunizations, and should be respected as a personal choice. Particularly in light of the unscientific, unsupported, anecdotal testimony from some lady on the Internet that we have seen here tonight.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I too am not a man, but...

What But? How can anyone that's not a man have an opinion of their own, that's not just "he said, they said, she said? Same goes for guys who have had it done as a child. They have no useful information to share on the subject. They never knew anything else.

How many men are going to discuss this with others, especially "Non Men." No one can give you pros and/or cons, other than a very few, since few have had it both ways and have something to compare it to.

I think its no more than a lingering tradition with no useful purpose.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
I think most Americans do it so that their kids "fit in" and are like everyone else. The health benefits are overstated but the loss of sensation and nerve endings are often left out of the discussion.

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-02-2015 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: off topic..please just respond to the question in the op

Old 08-02-2015, 12:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
I was circumcised in infancy, but am sad about it. I wonder what sex would be like if I still had the missing nerve endings.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:16 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
I'm circumcised, my son is not. My wife was against it, I was for it, but I generally let my wife make big decisions regarding kids. My son has not had any problems and neither have I.

Since men have no idea what the other is feeling it's only a subjective rating of feeling circ. vs. uncirc.

It's not necessary to circumcise in my opinion.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-02-2015 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: off topic..please just respond to the question in the op

Old 08-02-2015, 05:00 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
I am a man, circumcised at birth. I was born in New York, but am currently living in New Zealand.

1) Outside the US (incl our Anglophone cousins the UK, Australia, NZ), it is quite uncommon. Social and medical consensus is that circumcision is unnecessary barring some condition such as phimosis. None of my friends complained!

2) The infections can be avoided by teaching your sons basic hygiene! This is as basic as washing one's hands.

3) Controversially, I do not believe that religion is sufficient justification for what is termed "genital mutilation" when done to young girls. However, even the mildest debate/discussion seems to be a virtual non-starter logic-forbidden discussion amongst adherents (chiefly observant Jews and Muslims). If an adult of his own free will chooses to be circumcised, that's his business.

4) This is done without anaesthetics.Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-02-2015 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-02-2015, 05:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
Heck, why not also remove the fingernails? Then he won't need to worry about getting dirt under them and keeping them clean.

I've always suggested toenails be removed, and the anus too. Talk about "cleaning up those "dirty" parts!"

Why stop at the foreskin?

Old 08-02-2015, 06:02 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Penial cancer is rare in countries where there is common circ...much more common in countries where it isn't.

Sorry I am a lady but had to add that since people claimed there were no problems in countries where it wasn't common.

Woefully uncommon in developed countries, in which, the last time I looked, the US was included.

Cancer is at least 800X more common in female breasts. So how about routine mastectomies for newborn girls - if cancer is such a big concern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting