Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 11:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times

Advertisements

Our 16 month old daughter has an extreme preference for her daddy (me). Everything I've read said that this is a phase some kids go through and I shouldn't be worried. I'm not worried in the long term, but in the short term this can be hard on my wife (I know it would be tough on me if positions were reversed). Any suggestions on things we can do to lessen her favoritism and things I can do to help my wife from feeling bad about it?

Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Nothing you can do and most children go through this with one or both parents at different times.
Then there are those times she will dislike you both at the same time and want Grandma, Grandpa or the postman.

Kids are so fickle and you just go with their flow within reason when it comes to who likes whom the best at that partcular moment.

By tomorrow, next week, next month or within the next 10 minutes Mommy will be her favorite.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
One of my kids would go through phases like that. It didn't bother me, my husband got to change the diapers and give the baths until that phase was passed.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:23 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Don't do anything....neither of you take it personally. Just go about your normal routines.....both of you do things for her (even if she prefers one over the other...she doesn't get to choose.)

In time things will be switched up....mommy will be the fave and you're chump change.

The goal is to have kiddo comfortable and bonded with both of you....because when she's a preteen you are both gonna drive her nuts but she will need you both.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One of my kids would go through phases like that. It didn't bother me, my husband got to change the diapers and give the baths until that phase was passed.
LOL love this!! I wish my kids went through a daddy phase!! None of them did, not for longer then a week. But daddy worked alot when they were little. Are you the primary parent? Its pretty normal if you are. It doesn't have to hurt anyone's feelings. Kids do this...then they switch.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:44 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My Mother worked very hard to try and ensure my first word was "Dada".

Reportedly, whenever I called for "dada", he would jump up and run to me to take care of whatever I wanted.

My Mom was pretty sharp

Old 08-02-2015, 06:49 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

Reportedly, whenever I called for "dada", he would jump up and run to me to take care of whatever I wanted.

My Mom was pretty sharp
Brilliant!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post

My Mom was pretty sharp
Lol! Love your mom!

OP, what I noticed in my daughter is that, if she picked up something out of the blue, chances are she will drop the habit out of the blue. With us, we used to have some routine in place. I was off from work for close to 14 months after my daughters birth and DH was working. Since I was spending most of her awake-time with her, she used to prefer me over her dad. Nevertheless, there were certain things they used to do which was exclusively them alone. That included the oil massage. He used to sing rhymes to her when doing that. It's their "special time" together.
See if your wife can get something like that in place which is exclusive them. It may help.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Kids go through it. My daughter was and is a "daddy's girl" from birth. Except when it was pajama time. Only I could help her with her pjs - it couldn't have been modesty, as it started when she was about 7 months old.

Even now, she prefers her dad to me. It's okay - our son prefers me Doesn't mean that either of them love either of us less. Someday, they'll have special mommy and me moments that she won't want you around for. My daughter and I get pedicures every year on her birthday for instance. We started when she was 6. For her 10th birthday, I had her dad come along - the next year, she asked me about a month beforehand to NOT invite him, but that doesn't mean he still isn't her favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting