Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
If it was your child, you would know. If there is a child throwing tantrums on the train/plane and you want to know whether or nor you can request a mom to shut it up, you can do this safely. You aren't obligated to know his diagnosis in order to have some comfort.
Not always. It can take years to realize your challenging child has a real problem and to get a diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
You need to have your child evaluated. First for something physical. Of that is negative, your pediatrician will be able to refer you to a mental health professional.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Some kids require more attention than others. These are the same kids who also need parents to set borders for their behavior. That doesn't seem to be happening in the US.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...dont-have-adhd

Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Here is an example of kids people assumed to be mentally ill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqH3zaMco4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee8-wRHCCg4

There were comments and discussions stating that the child might be mentally ill, but I see no indication that neither of these children suffer from such, and look like their parents aren't doing their jobs and not disciplining them more effectively. So at this point there's no way to tell if the child is normal, or has a real problem.
As an observer of other people's kids you don't know. If you're the parent of an out of control kid you start with the child's pediatrician and work up (psychologists, psychiatrists) from there.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 AM

436 posts, read 421,072 times
My two older kids have adhd. They are actually pretty well behaved. Their major issues in public (I the past, mostly, now that they're a bit older it's not as much an issue) were being too loud/talkative and grabby -so we had to constantly redirect them from touching things and shushing them so they used indoor voices. My non-adhd child is more "bratty" in the sense that she has a very strong personality and her verbal skills aren't very developed yet, so she does tend to pout or fuss - but she's two, and I'm confident that she'll grow out of it. In the meantime she stays out of situations in public she can't habfle yet. We don't take her out to eat, for example.

As far as other (stranger or friends') kids go, I assume they're challenged in some way unless I know otherwise for a fact. Can't really go wrong with compassion over judgment.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Personality "disorders" (I call them variants) and outright psychoses are two different things. One good way to establish what the case is, is to watch how they interact with their peers (other kids). Tells you a lot.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM

117 posts, read 92,685 times
I think the first step is to observe the child very closely. Take care of him/her always. Also look out every steps he/she is taking what he/she has done before and doing right now.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Has anyone ever noticed that all that energy has to go someplace? If you re-direct the energy you often have a behaved kid on you hands. It seems to me the faster the physical growth the more active the kid will be.

I sponsored an aquarium for years inside a really professional daycare, where 1/3 of the kids had "labels". And yet at this daycare there seemed to be none of the issues found at home. I reserve the right as a parent and adult to not agree with this whole labeling idea if it's used as an excuse.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:50 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

How do you know if a child has a real problem or if he just needs to be set straight by a parent?
This is a great question.

My 4yo grandson is a handful and he does have some sensory issues, like loud noises. He throws tantrums, bites, kicks, etc. He's got a hearing problem and he doesn't talk very well, so we are wondering if this means he's autistic. But as far as disciplining, that baby minds me just fine.

My daughter came over to get them once and we were sitting there watching a movie. My grandson tried to climb my grandmother's chair which is very flimsy and could topple him over if he isn't careful, and it's a no-no for him to get on it, always has been. First time he did it and wouldn't stop, I popped him once on the butt, and he didn't get on it again that day. Since then, he will still try me, and all I have to do is say I will spank, and he leaves it alone. His mother saw me just say, "Xavier, spank!" and he got off and got in my lap. She was like, "How did you do that?" LOL

So yeah, we don't know whether he's autistic, or just a brat with hearing problems

Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Perhaps OP is not meddling, judging, or dealing with OP's own children. Maybe OP just finds it an interesting psychology or sociology topic. I do, too, and I'm pretty disappointed at the level of discussion in this thread. Maybe posting in "Great Debates" or "Psychology" forums would invite a higher level of discussion.
I agree. I see a lot of defensiveness here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting