Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

My 18-year old son is involved with a 46-year-old woman. She is in the process of getting a divorce. That sounds strange enough, but now he tells me they're buying a house together. At first thought they were renting, but no, DS says they are buying the house together. I suppose he can legally be on the mortgage/deed, but he doesn't even have a job!

I don't know what this woman thinks she's doing. Sounds like she's setting herself up for trouble more than my DS for trouble. We're in Texas, a community property state. Maybe she wants to put her divorce proceedings into a homestead to shield it from creditors? But what does that have to do with my DS? I could care less what happens to her, but what about my DS? What types of trouble could this cause for him in the future? Say she decides to walk out, and he's stuck with the house? He can't even get a job at MCD! What could this do to his future credit, etc? I asked him where the money was coming from, he said "some things are best left unsaid"

I suppose I can't really stop him, but what could be her angle? Would we---his parents---get sucked into anything as a result of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
You won't get sucked into anything financially. The only thing you could possibly get sucked into is your emotional tie to parenting your son (whether it goes well or not).

Your son would get half the house and half the debt/lien in the event that it doesn't work out. However, let's hope that it all works out and they live happily ever after. Everyone deserves a happy life.

He should certainly wait until the divorce is final before proceeding. Best of luck! I love housewarming parties!

Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You won't get sucked into anything financially. The only thing you could possibly get sucked into is your emotional tie to parenting your son (whether it goes well or not).

Your son would get half the house and half the debt/lien in the event that it doesn't work out. However, let's hope that it all works out and they live happily ever after. Everyone deserves a happy life.

He should certainly wait until the divorce is final before proceeding. Best of luck! I love housewarming parties!
I suppose so....he does seem happy with her but she's taking over his life. She lured him away from home his senior year of high school. He dropped out at her urging, and quit his job. Seems she wants him totally dependent on her. Remember, he's only 18.....I wish he would at least graduate HS! We had plans for him to go to college....oh, and he tells her he's 26, I suppose he could look that age, but this woman is wonkers! I would just hate to have him want to break it off and she turns into another Jodi Arias!

Also, assuming it "lasts" how will he feel in his 30's with a wrinkled old hag? Really, he could do better......but WTH, we tell him we're here if he needs us. We don't have a lot of money, but we sure have more brains than she does

Old 08-07-2015, 10:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I suppose so....he does seem happy with her but she's taking over his life. She lured him away from home his senior year of high school. He dropped out at her urging, and quit his job. Seems she wants him totally dependent on her. Remember, he's only 18.....I wish he would at least graduate HS! We had plans for him to go to college....oh, and he tells her he's 26, I suppose he could look that age, but this woman is wonkers! I would just hate to have him want to break it off and she turns into another Jodi Arias!

Also, assuming it "lasts" how will he feel in his 30's with a wrinkled old hag? Really, he could do better......but WTH, we tell him we're here if he needs us. We don't have a lot of money, but we sure have more brains than she does
It looks like your son is a big part of the problem. He's working her. He has her convinced that he is a 26 year old who just dropped out of high school for her. What would cause an 18 year old to do that? Where were his parents when growing up?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It looks like your son is a big part of the problem. He's working her. He has her convinced that he is a 26 year old who just dropped out of high school for her. What would cause an 18 year old to do that? Where were his parents when growing up?

There you go, blame the parents! We were right with him, trying to raise him, get him a decent education and basic foothold in the world, active, involved parents....did it ever occur to you there could have been other influences in his life? Well, thanks for the "legal" advice!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 AM

72 posts, read 116,146 times
This site has a parenting section, you sound s if you may need to visit it.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:43 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
How does she urge him to drop out of high school, yet think he's 26?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My 18-year old son is involved with a 46-year-old woman. She is in the process of getting a divorce. That sounds strange enough, but now he tells me they're buying a house together. At first thought they were renting, but no, DS says they are buying the house together. I suppose he can legally be on the mortgage/deed, but he doesn't even have a job!

I don't know what this woman thinks she's doing. Sounds like she's setting herself up for trouble more than my DS for trouble. We're in Texas, a community property state. Maybe she wants to put her divorce proceedings into a homestead to shield it from creditors? But what does that have to do with my DS? I could care less what happens to her, but what about my DS? What types of trouble could this cause for him in the future? Say she decides to walk out, and he's stuck with the house? He can't even get a job at MCD! What could this do to his future credit, etc? I asked him where the money was coming from, he said "some things are best left unsaid"

I suppose I can't really stop him, but what could be her angle? Would we---his parents---get sucked into anything as a result of this?
I'm thinking that your son has bigger problems than a 46 year old girlfriend and dropping out of high school. Drugs, maybe? Dealing drugs, maybe?

Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How does she urge him to drop out of high school, yet think he's 26?
Yeah I thought the same thing. OP hope your son does not get screwed for a good chunk of his life by this. But IMO it sounds like a very strange situation.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
He is thinking with the little head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting