Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

And what of those who believe there is as much to be earned, learned and enjoyed in the journey as there is in the destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
There is a lot of change that has happened that many of us Conservatives would like to change back.

A conservative looks at a trophy and says by hard work, talent, maybe natural born ability someone will win that trophy. A liberal thinks we should all have one.

A conservative looks at a prize and says anyone should be able to work toward this and live a life of winning. A liberal looks at a prize and says anyone that shows up should get one so that they can feel like they are winning.

A conservative looks at a game and knows that there are winners and losers. A liberal looks at a game and wants everyone to be a winner.

Conservatives believe in the person, that they can win if they work harder than anyone else, apply themselves, and develop the talent that they have been given from God. People are resilient and can accomplish anything. When a conservative looks at a prize, be it a trophy, a big house, a boat in the harbor, a nice car they believe that anyone has the ability to win the prize life has to offer.

Liberals believe in the system, that the system can provide even if you don't work as hard as the next guy. You don't need to apply yourself or develop your talents because people are all equal and the system will make sure that everyone wins and feels good. When a liberal looks at a prize be it a trophy, a big house, a boat in the harbor, a nice car they believe that these are given to life's lottery winners and most people could never win these prizes. Because of that they need to make everyone feel good so they offer participation trophy's instead.

Yes, however, you pointed out exactly where conservatives are wrong. When you said that any person can win if they just work harder than anyone else. Unfortunately, that's just not true. Some people are blessed with talent and a modicum of brains. If those folks also work really hard, they can accomplish their dreams. However, some people are really unlucky. They are born stupid (as in low-IQ). Or they are abused causing irrevocable damage to their intelligence, mental health, physical health. Or They are raised by horrible parents, have horrible role models, and never learn the skills and mindset necessary to be successful. No matter how hard these people work, they will never be able to make it, not without some sort of allowances given to them. There will always be someone better.

Both sides, conservatives and liberals, serve a valuable purpose. The conservatives promote excellence and achievement in humans, which creates doctors and scientists and progress for the human race. Liberals make sure that the human race doesn't let the unfortunates, who can never win, just die in a ditch somewhere because they can't feed themselves. Because that's evil.

Conservatives and liberals, and their disagreements, are valuable and necessary. The caution is to make sure that the balance between the two sides stops short of becoming violent. Because civil war sucks, and we should be able to balance opposing forces in our governing without killing each other. Hopefully.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And yet you don't have to be valedictorian to get a diploma. You don't have to be #1 in sales to get a paycheck. Only in sports is effort not good enough, and if it's a team sport, you are held responsible for the other kids involved, regardless of how good you are.
It's true that there are times when good enough is good enough. But if your best isn't good enough that's a different story.

If you do what you are supposed to do you get a diploma. You do not get an award though (valedictorian). I bet that there are lots of kids who give school their absolute best effort but they are not going to be valedictorian because just trying hard is not enough to get you to valedictorian.

If you do your best at your job, but your best doesn't meet the standard for the job you get fired. Just trying hard is not enough.

I love to sing. I take voice lessons and I practice. I'm good enough to graduate with a BA in Music Education. I'm good enough to sing in a very good choral ensemble. A friend of mine wants me to audition for a show she is directing. I'm pretty sure I would be cast in her show. However, no matter how hard I tried I would never ever ever be cast at The Met. Trying hard is not good enough. You have to be able to get results.

There are lots of times when trying hard is simply not enough.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Again, we are talking about 6 year olds. Their best is ALWAYS good enough. I really hope you don't have children because they are never going to be good enough to please you.
I have 3 children and they are very good at the things that they choose to do. They have been taught that nothing short of excellence is acceptable. Simply trying hard is not enough. You don't try to do something. You do it and you do it well.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have 3 children and they are very good at the things that they choose to do. They have been taught that nothing short of excellence is acceptable. Simply trying hard is not enough. You don't try to do something. You do it and you do it well.
Well lucky you for having highly capable children. I have one who is dyslexic so she will never win a reading award for being "the best" at it. But she does deserve an award for trying harder then the average kid.

One kid has a neurological disorder that makes sports pretty much impossible to be a star in. But he deserves recognition for trying hard, even while not being anywhere near the best.

This thinking is going to bite you in the arse. I bet you think the special Olympics is for losers.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
It's true that there are times when good enough is good enough. But if your best isn't good enough that's a different story.

If you do what you are supposed to do you get a diploma. You do not get an award though (valedictorian). I bet that there are lots of kids who give school their absolute best effort but they are not going to be valedictorian because just trying hard is not enough to get you to valedictorian.

If you do your best at your job, but your best doesn't meet the standard for the job you get fired. Just trying hard is not enough.

I love to sing. I take voice lessons and I practice. I'm good enough to graduate with a BA in Music Education. I'm good enough to sing in a very good choral ensemble. A friend of mine wants me to audition for a show she is directing. I'm pretty sure I would be cast in her show. However, no matter how hard I tried I would never ever ever be cast at The Met. Trying hard is not good enough. You have to be able to get results.

There are lots of times when trying hard is simply not enough.
Not at 6 yrs old.

A diploma is a reward for fulfilling the requirements of school. A paycheck is a reward for fulfilling the requirements of the job.

Quote:
Seems like a policy that would suck a lot of joy out of the experience of trying new things and getting out of one's comfort zone. Everybody can't be number 1, and not doing something because you can't be the best, or even great at it, is no reason not to participate at all.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:01 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times
Quote:
I can't imagine living my life like this.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
Quote:
That's a horrible thing to attempt to instill in a child. Whether you like it or not there are always going to things that your children are not going to be excellent at when attempting. Being sufficient is sometimes the very best that someone can achieve. It's ignorant to assume that they will all be 4.0 in every subject in school or the star of every team they play on. To make them think otherwise is to set them up for massive, massive failure. I predict that they will A.) all be in therapy and B.) move as far away from you as possible.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:39 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
There is a lot of change that has happened that many of us Conservatives would like to change back.

A conservative looks at a trophy and says by hard work, talent, maybe natural born ability someone will win that trophy. A liberal thinks we should all have one.

A conservative looks at a prize and says anyone should be able to work toward this and live a life of winning. A liberal looks at a prize and says anyone that shows up should get one so that they can feel like they are winning.

A conservative looks at a game and knows that there are winners and losers. A liberal looks at a game and wants everyone to be a winner.

Conservatives believe in the person, that they can win if they work harder than anyone else, apply themselves, and develop the talent that they have been given from God. People are resilient and can accomplish anything. When a conservative looks at a prize, be it a trophy, a big house, a boat in the harbor, a nice car they believe that anyone has the ability to win the prize life has to offer.

Liberals believe in the system, that the system can provide even if you don't work as hard as the next guy. You don't need to apply yourself or develop your talents because people are all equal and the system will make sure that everyone wins and feels good. When a liberal looks at a prize be it a trophy, a big house, a boat in the harbor, a nice car they believe that these are given to life's lottery winners and most people could never win these prizes. Because of that they need to make everyone feel good so they offer participation trophy's instead.
Do you find comfort in believing such rigid and skewed stereotypes? You're talking about millions and millions of people like you know them personally.

Here you go, in case it helps:
http://i.word.com/idictionary/liberal
http://i.word.com/idictionary/conservative

Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Wow. I just don't know what to even say to this. I just find it sad. "Nothing short of excellence is acceptable." ? Ever? For anything?

I would much rather my kids be willing to try and experience new things without the concern that they may not excel at them. Only being willing or interested in trying things you think you can excel at is limiting. And frankly, everything is not worth the time required to excel. Doesn't mean the activity is not valid though. Or...fun...or..interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting