Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:36 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
You didn't care that your dog ran away? I absolutely couldn't imagine feeling that way. When I was a kid and my dog went missing for 10 minutes I was a basketcase. It's scary to me that you didn't bond with your pet, and makes me very sad for your dog. In fact, this whole thread makes me sad.

OP, by dumping your dog you're teaching your child that dogs are disposable. That seems to be our society's answer to everything: just toss it away. Don't be shocked when your kid never visits you in the nursing home someday.

The more people I meet, the more I prefer animals.
So it's better for the OP to continue losing out of 3 hours a day she could spend with her son in order to remain in a location that allows the dog? A dog who is left alone for long periods of time anyway? Who has a chance to go to a family with the time and desire to properly bond with it?

Getting the dog was a mistake, no matter how well-intended. There's no reason to compound that mistake by guilting the OP into keeping it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 02:47 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The OP already answered that: a family friend who owns a house and has the time for a dog is willing to take the animal. No magic required.

So what? You should just have kept the two dogs apart, no matter how difficult the logistics would have been for you, or how it might have affected the dogs. Because it's WRONG, WRONG, WRONG to EVER rehome an animal!

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

The OP isn't rehoming lightly, and isn't just dumping the dog at the nearest animal shelter. He doesn't deserve your lecture.
LOL yeah...not the same scope. One is dogs and humans are in mortal danger (after much training and working with professionals!), the other is dumb person got a dog they didn't plan to care for.

He/she does deserve a lecture because FAR too many people do this and we are in a huge mess (one I have worked to clean up in big ways) because of people thinking this is "ok" behavior.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Between 6 and 8 AM and between 3 and 7 PM you aren't mothering like you're supposed to. You did not mention a Nanny. This does not sound like Uncle Bentley's house on "Bachelor Father."

Assuming that's the case, the dog is of tertiary import. I don't get why you even got that dog.

Just tell the kid that the dog goes, and if he asks why, say it's because he didn't walk him, tend to him, etc. It'll be a very important lesson for him to learn. (even if part of it is sorta made up). If you can't do that, then do what our parents did - they just told us that the dog ran away (make up a story). Frankly, we (us kids) didn't really care. Or give him to the friends and you simply explain that no dogs are allowed. At 11 he should surely understand that.

But never EVER for any reason, let your kid run your household (i.e., decide where you're gonna live). Doing so, you'll raise a lazy dependent bum ...or worse.
Worst parenting advice ever. At least if you ddump the dog, but honest that it was your own failing and dont guilt the kid.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:04 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
You didn't care that your dog ran away? I absolutely couldn't imagine feeling that way. When I was a kid and my dog went missing for 10 minutes I was a basketcase. It's scary to me that you didn't bond with your pet, and makes me very sad for your dog. In fact, this whole thread makes me sad.

OP, by dumping your dog you're teaching your child that dogs are disposable. That seems to be our society's answer to everything: just toss it away. Don't be shocked when your kid never visits you in the nursing home someday.

The more people I meet, the more I prefer animals.
Not all dogs become lifelong friends with their owners.

Time constraints, personality conflicts, and pre-existing traits can all prevent bonding between a family and a pet. The dogs that loved us became family members. The few that had unfriendly tendencies became other people's problems.

Regardless of your way of thinking, getting a dog is not the same as having a baby. The only lesson that this is going to teach her child is that parents need to make tough choices for the good of the family.

I love my dog, but she barks at EVERYTHING she sees walking down the sidewalk. That's fine in my house, but if I have to move into an apartment, she simply cannot go. When I am home she is always with me, and sleeps curled up against me. But I can't live under a bridge to keep her if worse comes to worse.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
You sound like a responsible dog owner, but neither of you (you and your son) sound like you are absolutely in LOVE with your dog and that's ok. A person in LOVE with their dog wouldn't even consider re-homing it. I'm not pointing a finger or trying to hurt your feeings in any way, I'm pointing out a fact. IMO, you either love a dog, like a dog, or don't own one because you don't like them at all.

Your son is going to be a teenager soon. He'll be entering high school and he'll most likely get into sports and other social activities that he'll be busy with after school. Unless he is into computer games at home, or not a social person, he won't be interested in going home after school or through the summer holidays taking care of a dog. He might even end up resenting you and the dog if you demand that he does.

I'm very glad for you that you've found a good place to live that works for both of you. Sure, your son might be upset for a while, but will get over it when he sees that the new location is better for both of you. If you re-home your dog to a good family that has more time for him, the dog will be happier too.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
In the whole area around work, there isn't a single place that allows dogs?

Seriously?

Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
Give the dog to another family; no doubt. I say that as a parent myself, and one who not only has multiple dogs, used to work in veterinary medicine, and is involved with dog rescue groups too. Your life is clearly not set up to take care of dogs and while initially it will be hard on your child; I really feel it is in the dogs best interest to do so. Being a single parent is hard enough; no reason to overcomplicated your life. Do what works for you.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:18 PM

12 posts, read 10,655 times
Yes. Agrred. We have a 17 yr old dog we adopted when her first family got tired of her at age two. We have been blessed with her for fifteen years and counting. Were there times when she was "inconvenient"? Sure. Would we trade any of it? No!!!
It's been a priviledge to be her mom.
Commit to a dog the way you would commit to a relationship; It should be for life.
Best of luck to all involved!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakehappy View Post
Yes. Agrred. We have a 17 yr old dog we adopted when her first family got tired of her at age two. We have been blessed with her for fifteen years and counting. Were there times when she was "inconvenient"? Sure. Would we trade any of it? No!!!
It's been a priviledge to be her mom.
Commit to a dog the way you would commit to a relationship; It should be for life.
Best of luck to all involved!
In a way I agree. But only so far as the original owner bailed on their responsibilities as a pet owner. The amount of dogs being killed daily due to this situation is epic and I can't get on board. So say the op really did find a perfect family to clean up after them...that's still one dog killed because they would take another. I have a hard time believing they found a great friend to take their adult dog. I have placed 30+ Foster dogs. Yeah, it isn't easy.

Craigslist is full of people getting free dogs for selling to med schools, reselling and bate dogs.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:25 PM

I would like to know age, sex, breed, altered, time/money spent on training....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting