Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Having her duties changed to rocking and soothing infants does not sound like a bad gig to me. Perhaps she is uncomfortable with her current position and hopefully she would even be receptive to tasks that don.t include child safety where she needn.t be a "first responder" in case an emergency would come up.
This is K-4, not infants or toddlers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 PM

483 posts, read 655,217 times
No way.

I teach and the thought of being with twice as many as the state ratio(here, its 1:26 for elementary after school programs) because someone can't see is insane.

So I have to be the eyes on all 52? kids. Plus watching for parents pickup, watching the bathroom, the playground.
How do you read them books(yes, I'm aware there are brail books, but I doubt the after school program will have bundles of those), or help with homework, see where they need a band aid, or even tell which child is who if they aren't talking?

Sure, being blind is definitely something that doesn't have to hold one back from leading their own lives, even with a family. But this isn't a family, this is an entire after school program full of others children.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
This is K-4, not infants or toddlers.
Do you know how many students are in the program?

Have you spoken with the person in charge yet?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
I spoke with the director today and she doesn't seem to see it as a problem. I suggested a third adult but she said that wouldn't happen because of the budget.

My kids are not in the program, so at this point it will fall to parents or the people at the school to do anything else if they see a need.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
I spoke with the director today and she doesn't seem to see it as a problem. I suggested a third adult but she said that wouldn't happen because of the budget.

My kids are not in the program, so at this point it will fall to parents or the people at the school to do anything else if they see a need.
If your kids aren't in the program, I would leave it to the parents directly associated to see (or not see) an issue and bring it up.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would, in a non-confrontational way, ask. It does seem like an odd profession for somebody who is sightless, but they may have some vision and ways to compensate for whatever loss there is.

Perhaps it's temporary?
Can other senses such as hearing make up for the deficits? Can the blind person talk to students while someone else watches?

Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Sorry, but having a disability doesn't mean you get to endanger children in the name of equal treatment.
And being blind doesn't mean that you are endangering children.

Some of you seriously overestimate how much attention a sighted teacher is able to pay each and every student in their 20+ student classroom. The OP has not identified how many students are in the after school program.

I had a blind teacher in elementary school. Maybe it taught me some empathy and common sense that seems to be lacking in this thread? After we burned down the classroom, of course.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Some of you seriously overestimate how much attention a sighted teacher is able to pay each and every student in their 20+ student classroom. The OP has not identified how many students are in the after school program.

I had a blind teacher in elementary school. Maybe it taught me some empathy and common sense that seems to be lacking in this thread? After we burned down the classroom, of course.
Common sense tells me a blind person can't do many of the job duties required of a day care provider. The main one being "watching" the kids.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM

483 posts, read 655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Its going to depend on the program honestly. Being confined to a classroom for most of the day, all the same grade, and being around other teachers and school staff during the day is different then some after school programs.

The one I work for we have 52 kids and 2 adults. We are in the cafeteria, library, playground and a classroom for the 4 hours after school the program takes place. There aren't any other staff left around normally, except for the the janitors and the occasional staff meeting after work.
We help with homework, serve snack, provide first aid, lead games, read books and monitor outside play.
I rely on that other adult to help me watch and manage all 52 kids from kinder to 5th grade.

There is no way I could safely watch all 52 kids without another set of eyes.

Also the purpose of the 2nd staff member is accountability for one another. If they are the only adults around the children, a blind staff member is not going to see any inappropriate contact with students from the other staff.
Extreme - Yes. But a rule none the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting