Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
All Rivers aren't mellow... think of the late actor River Phoenix
That's why the Mr. vetoed going with the English translation of the name: the assumption that he was named in honor of River Phoenix. Although I was indeed a fan of both his acting and his music, that actually wasn't even my motivation; I lived in a commune when I was a kid, and a lot of the kids had "earthy" names, so it didn't sound that off the wall to me. So, the Portuguese translation was a amicable compromise, and actually sounds better with our last name anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
I'm fond of Hazel and Ash.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
On a long bus ride in South America (one of many), my wife and I discussed nice names (and everything else). We agreed that Olive and Violet were very nice names, but to spice them up, change the Os to Qs, and make them Qlive and Viqlet. (Q being a beautiful but underutilized letter.) Pronounced of course, Clive and Vicklet. We are now committed to using those names for our first pair of baby goats, yet to be actuated.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On a long bus ride in South America (one of many), my wife and I discussed nice names (and everything else). We agreed that Olive and Violet were very nice names, but to spice them up, change the Os to Qs, and make them Qlive and Viqlet. (Q being a beautiful but underutilized letter.) Pronounced of course, Clive and Vicklet. We are now committed to using those names for our first pair of baby goats, yet to be actuated.
Probably the only kids that should be given names with such unique spellings.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, don't come crying to us when all of the other goats start making fun of them

Old 09-08-2015, 11:20 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
One of my friends used to raise pygmy goats. All the kids were given wildflower names: Trillium, Mayapple, Ragwort, and so on.

Probably better for goats than the other kind of kids.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post

Girl ideas, flowers:
Violet, Lily, Daisy, Dahlia, Iris, Camille, Marigold, Petunia, Rose

Girl ideas, birds:
Alouette, Wren

Girl ideas, plants:
Acacia, Mint, Sage, Juniper, Plum, Ivy, Holly, Willow, Anise

Girl names, precious stones:
Pearl, Emeralda, Jade, Beryl, Garnet,

Girl names, animals:
Ursula

Girl names, miscellaneous:
Winter, Summer, Snow, Autumn

Boy names, animals:
Leo, Jay, Robin

Boy names, miscellaneous:
Rain
Most of those names will get a kid bullied and certainly won't look appropriate on a resume.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No offense, but probably 95+% of these names fail the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court test, but more importantly, they fail the resume test no matter what job they get. If an executive picks up a resume with some flighty name on it, they are immediately prejudiced by the name, and your child will have a higher probability of not getting a returned call for the interview.
Bingo!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I agree with this ^ idea, and also:
1. Think of yourself standing outside yelling for your child to come in for dinner;
2. Think of how compatible the first name you're considering is with your surname. Random example: Robin is a nice name, and could be compatible with a surname like Smith, but if your last name is Byrd you might want to reconsider!!
Good point. A friend of mine had decided to name her son Cash, and it wasn't til after the birth certificate was signed that she put it together with her last name -- Rich. Talk about obnoxious.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 PM

674 posts, read 611,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
In my perception, Lily and Jade are names that are commonly given to Asian girls, in particular by adoptive parents who want their adopted Asian girl to have a name that sounds kind of "Asian-y" but not too much so.

Robin is a unisex name, and is actually more common on girls than it on boys. But "common" is relative; it's popularity has been plummeting in recent years, and it's no longer in the top 1,000 names for either gender, as ranked by the Social Security Administration.

As for Rain, I'm not a fan of names that are far more commonly used as something else besides a person's name. And you know how, when someone speaks your name, you hear it even if you're not paying attention? Well, Rain is going to get distracted a lot when people start commenting about the day's precipitation. If you want, you could try Amaya (for a girl), which means "Night Rain" in Japanese.

EDIT: I thought of another reason to not pick Rain as a name: he's going to be mighty unhappy whenever his elementary school friends look outside at the precipitation that has caused the cancellation of their recess and start singing "Rain, rain, go away, come again another day!"

The baby will be Asian, so we're okay with something that sounds good with the middle and last names we have chosen (and something that sounds sort of Asian is probably a good fit -- frankly, I don't like Jade as a white person name at all). That's why we love flower names so much. They sound appropriately feminine, and they don't sound like they're whitewashing the kid. At the same time, they give the kid the freedom to go by something English or something Vietnamese (the Vietnamese names we have picked out are a little hard for most English speakers to pronounce, so she'll end up being Lily or Daisy at school but something else at home). We worry a little about discrimination, so we definitely need an English name.

Rain is a very popular Korean singer. That might be a lot for a kid to live up to, so that one is probably out. I don't think we'll go with a nature name if we have a boy; I just think it's interesting that those are harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting