U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954

Advertisements

16 is LEGALLY A CHILD PEOPLE.

I don't know what your local CPS would have to say about leaving him alone overnight, but I can assure you, it wont be good.

You can leave your child alone once they're 18, not a problem!

But 16 years old is STILL A CHILD in every way except their bodies.

A mere 13 months earlier they were 14 years old>>14 summers to learn how to behave if your friends become rowdy when the parents are away for the night, how to not be scared if something crashes outside at 3am, how to cope if one of the animals has a sudden fit, the pipes burst, a stranger begins calling the house to frighten you...

The possibilities of DISASTER are endless, and being legally a child, OP is entirely responsible for it.

Much, much easier, and some would say KINDER, to stay in at night with your CHILD.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:27 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954
I'd also just like to remind everyone that this thread is called PARENTING.

Not

How to Operate A Webcam.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,305 posts, read 79,644,867 times
Reputation: 55458
New trust level assessment!
Zero
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
New trust level assessment!
Zero

You can trust your children all you want.

What you cant do is abdicate your legal and moral responsibility to CARE FOR THEM.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,695,288 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
16 is LEGALLY A CHILD PEOPLE.

I don't know what your local CPS would have to say about leaving him alone overnight, but I can assure you, it wont be good.

You can leave your child alone once they're 18, not a problem!

But 16 years old is STILL A CHILD in every way except their bodies.

A mere 13 months earlier they were 14 years old>>14 summers to learn how to behave if your friends become rowdy when the parents are away for the night, how to not be scared if something crashes outside at 3am, how to cope if one of the animals has a sudden fit, the pipes burst, a stranger begins calling the house to frighten you...

The possibilities of DISASTER are endless, and being legally a child, OP is entirely responsible for it.

Much, much easier, and some would say KINDER, to stay in at night with your CHILD.
What? CPS would laugh at you for complaining about leaving a 16 year old alone.....it's perfectly legal and pretty darn common.

You really think that a kid should go from never being by themselves to on their own at agec18?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:37 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I LITERALLY can't believe that there are people who feel this way.

When I was sixteen, I owned a car and worked 40 hours a week when school was out and 20 hours a week during school. And you people feel a sixteen year old can't be trusted to be alone IN THEIR OWN HOUSE?

What the heck did YOU do that showed such poor judgement at age sixteen that you don't believe that ANY sixteen year old can be trusted? Were you huffing hairspray? Smoking marijuana? Screwing the neighbor kids in the shed? Stealing the old man's liquor?

There are plenty of perfectly respectable teens out there.
What of the Legal Consequences?

There are laws which tell us quite clearly that 16 years old is STILL A CHILD.

Just ignore them?

Also i'd like to point out that OP entitled this "SNEAKY BEHAVIOUR" = her child is not quite as angelic as you were therefore sharing how mature and responsible you were at 16 is pretty pointless.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,695,288 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
What of the Legal Consequences?

There are laws which tell us quite clearly that 16 years old is STILL A CHILD.

Just ignore them?

Also i'd like to point out that OP entitled this "SNEAKY BEHAVIOUR" = her child is not quite as angelic as you were therefore sharing how mature and responsible you were at 16 is pretty pointless.
Yes...16 year olds are minors...but nothing has that they typically can't be left alone. So how did you get your teenager through thus time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
What? CPS would laugh at you for complaining about leaving a 16 year old alone.....it's perfectly legal and pretty darn common.

You really think that a kid should go from never being by themselves to on their own at agec18?
I think that parents need to be aware of the LEGAL CONSEQUENCES of what their child does while they are out doing *whatever*.

At 18 a child is Legally an Adult.

At 16 they are not.

Im sorry if you cant see the difference.

Going by your standards we are all A-OK to leave 14 year olds alone too - still illegal, but only 2 years off 16!!

So then what of 12 year olds, the sensible ones?

Leave them also?

I know a lot of 10 year olds far more responsible than their own parents - so them too?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

The LAW is there to clearly define what a Child is, for parents who think kids are just fine alone.

They are not....as OP has told us...!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 06:07 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,289,274 times
Reputation: 11954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yes...16 year olds are minors...but nothing has that they typically can't be left alone. So how did you get your teenager through thus time?
Teenagers plural, I stayed in over night.

It wasn't difficult.

As I was a parent, and had made that choice years earlier, it was part of a pattern I'd begun way back when pregnant.

Stay in at night and look after your child.

Worked too, both now adults in higher education with no drug, alcohol, police or other behavioural problems.

Imagine that...looking after your child actually WORKS!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 06:11 PM
 
5,413 posts, read 5,695,288 times
Reputation: 9351
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I think that parents need to be aware of the LEGAL CONSEQUENCES of what their child does while they are out doing *whatever*.

At 18 a child is Legally an Adult.

At 16 they are not.

Im sorry if you cant see the difference.

Going by your standards we are all A-OK to leave 14 year olds alone too - still illegal, but only 2 years off 16!!

So then what of 12 year olds, the sensible ones?

Leave them also?

I know a lot of 10 year olds far more responsible than their own parents - so them too?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

The LAW is there to clearly define what a Child is, for parents who think kids are just fine alone.

They are not....as OP has told us...!
For one...state laws differ...at least a few states have no minimum age for leaving a child alone...and most states are around age 12. Also...many parents here just don't see a problem with a teen getting taco bell and brining it him to play x box with their cousin....we do see issues with the OP recording the teen non stop and now with you saying that a teenager can't do anything by themselves until age 18. It's not reality or healthy.

So...is this how you raised your teens...and how has it worked out for you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top