Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 10:19 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Cute. The world doesn't operate on 'should', it operates on 'does'. It matters that those around them drop their opinion of the entire family 'just a bit' because of their decision to maintain this child's hair properly.

And yes, it is the horrible judgmental people's right to decide what THEY feel is proper or improper. And treat others accordingly.
The OP said nothing about the child not being cared for or not being kept clean.....different topic all together.

And who cares if someone wants to lower there opinion of an entire family based on the length of a 2 year olds hair....quite easy to turn that around and have a lowered opinion of them for being an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
LoL...we have an extremely popular librarian in our system who has long shaggy hair. He's in a rock band...and he does Toddler storytime 6 times a week. His audience averages 100 people each time. We have turn people away at the door when the audience reaches 120.

Great role model for long hair!
His hair is HIS adult choice. Not so much for a 2 year old.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:24 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
His hair is HIS adult choice. Not so much for a 2 year old.
But the 2 year old doesn't get a choice if his hair is cut either. What makes that okay other than your sensibilities?

I grew up with a family who shaved their boys heads each summer...the boys hated it...but they didn't get a choice.....until the oldest ran away at age 12 for a week to avoid the summer buzz. Daddy got the message at that point.

When the kid is old enough to express an opinion....then the mother should certainly listen to the kid and let him cut his hair if he wants....but there is no reason short hair needs to be the default before that.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's completely a non-issue......I know boys that are age 5 and up that have never had more than a trim. ...sometimes they wear it in a pony taIL or top knot.

This is what ya'll are worrying about?

It's often a generational thing. Once my mother told one of my nephews to "not come back to see her until he got his hair cut". Can you believe it? His hair was about 4 inches past his shoulders, blonde. She really hurt him with that comment and he actually didn't come to see her for quite a while. Sometimes my mother could be harsh like that and very blunt. This was before she became quite elderly, maybe she was about 65 years old and this was long before the newer trends of 'top knot'. There was a recent article about how many young men are adopting the style. I find it quite attractive (and I am 63)! As long as it's clean...

Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 AM

I work with children and have found many young ones who do NOT want their hair cut. It's their hair...

This school year, I have a new student, middle school. I was a bit surprised to see his hair - a huge mop of long, thick curls (ringlets) to his shoulders. Beautiful, but ill-kempt. I wondered if he receives any 'razzing' about it and felt bad for him because he appears to be poor (from clothing), not too well-groomed/clean overall, mumbles, appears a bit 'sullen' and generally in that difficult age of puberty, that, well, may not bode well for his socialization, but who am I to say? It's just that 'standing out' is often not good at this age. It looked (from his bracelets and attire) like (and I may be making assumptions) he is from a more 'casual' family. He appears to be really smart, though, so he will probably do alright. I just 'feel' for him. I will get to know him better in the coming weeks.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
But the 2 year old doesn't get a choice if his hair is cut either. What makes that okay other than your sensibilities?

I grew up with a family who shaved their boys heads each summer...the boys hated it...but they didn't get a choice.....until the oldest ran away at age 12 for a week to avoid the summer buzz. Daddy got the message at that point.

When the kid is old enough to express an opinion....then the mother should certainly listen to the kid and let him cut his hair if he wants....but there is no reason short hair needs to be the default before that.
I work in schools and years ago there was a family that shaved (poorly) all the kids' hair, all the time. Even the girls. It was intended as a punishment, done with much malice. Such a sad family situation.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:

It doesn't. What you have are people whoa re stuck in the mentality that women have long hair and men short hair. My own Mother is of this mind set sadly. They believe that somehow if your child doesn't fit the societal standard for haircuts that their lives will somehow be ruined because they were set up for endless teasing. Forgetting the fact that kids tease over everything.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Some of you seem to just be haters who want to attack me personally for even posing the question. Calling me ''jugmental'' and telling me to stay out of it, mind my own business, shut my mouth.

Some of you obviously lack reading comprehension skills and emotional intelligence, so let me clarify and then you can go on hurling more barbs if it makes you feel superior or whatever.

The grandma has been talking to me about it. Neither she, nor I, have said a word to the mom about it and we wouldn't. Grandma is 78 years old and neither she, nor I obviously, have any insights into the ''newest trends''. Neither does 82 year old grandpa, who has also been concerned.

Both have been upset, watching from the sidelines, and so I posed the question here to get some insights.
I got those insights, plus some insults, which is no longer unexpected on CD.
So thank you to those who offered helpful education. I will pass this information on to the grandparents and I think they will better understand and let the issue go.
You aren't a bad person. If you don't grow up in todays culture you are going to understand it less. It's somewhat common for younger boys to have moppy hair these days. Parents are becoming less concerned with gender stereotypes is all.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:51 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
What do you all think? Is it a non-issue? Are we old fogies just not ''hip enough''? Grandma wanted me to ask CD because she is quite concerned, so have at it and please tell us what you think!
It is a non-issue. I think little boys with their baby curls are adorable. It is the parents' decision. Simple as that.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:28 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
My best friend's 33 year old daughter has a two year old boy and his parents have never cut his hair.

My friend says that she and her other daughter have talked to his mom about this as they have some concerns, rightly placed or not, with how this child will be received now that he is going to daycare and is among other children.

The mom does not seem to see this as an issue and seemingly has no plans to cut it.

Now I have seen this little boy on Facebook and his blonde, straight hair is quite long, about 6-8 inches below his chin and jawline. It is usually dishelveled, sometimes clipped back and up with barettes, and recently formed into a ''top knot'' on the crown of his head.

I am as open-minded as they come, but I feel sorry for the kid and think it looks ridiculous. And so does grandma, aunts, and grandpa and they worry about the child's self-esteem and how other kids will react at daycare. He definitely looks like a little grungy girl.

If he ''chose'' this style for himself as an older kid I feel it would one thing. But to put him out there among playmates looking this is another. But the mom won't budge, for whatever reason.

What do you all think? Is it a non-issue? Are we old fogies just not ''hip enough''? Grandma wanted me to ask CD because she is quite concerned, so have at it and please tell us what you think!
Even 4 year olds are talking about the man-bun today. In the 1950s men had short hair, in the 60s they had long hair, in the 70s they had a hairdo, in the 80s they had the Mohawk, the 90s was green/blue/pink/black dye, 2010s was preppy, and today, it's the man bun for children. Roll with it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting