Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Some of you seem to just be haters who want to attack me personally for even posing the question. Calling me ''jugmental'' and telling me to stay out of it, mind my own business, shut my mouth.

Some of you obviously lack reading comprehension skills and emotional intelligence, so let me clarify and then you can go on hurling more barbs if it makes you feel superior or whatever.

The grandma has been talking to me about it. Neither she, nor I, have said a word to the mom about it and we wouldn't. Grandma is 78 years old and neither she, nor I obviously, have any insights into the ''newest trends''. Neither does 82 year old grandpa, who has also been concerned.

Both have been upset, watching from the sidelines, and so I posed the question here to get some insights.
I got those insights, plus some insults, which is no longer unexpected on CD.
So thank you to those who offered helpful education. I will pass this information on to the grandparents and I think they will better understand and let the issue go.
I have read every post thus far and no one has insulted you. Though it would be entirely fair to say you ARE judgmental and trespassing in an area this is absolutely none of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
In the book, "Tarzan of the Apes", published in 1912, Tarzan was raised by an ape, from shortly after he was born, till he grew up. He cut his own hair because it was obstructing his vision, which had to be very sharp and fast in a lot of jungle emergencies. Maybe he couldn't find anything to tie it back with, such as the right kind of vine or whatever. We shouldn't let our kids look like wild children. They should be civilized, like Tarzan.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
So....no one will judge you for keeping your child's hair cut but some will judge you for letting it grow long enough for the child to be mistaken for a girl. HEY, if you cut it into a mullet you can have the best of both worlds!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
The OP said nothing about the child not being cared for or not being kept clean.....different topic all together.

And who cares if someone wants to lower there opinion of an entire family based on the length of a 2 year olds hair....quite easy to turn that around and have a lowered opinion of them for being an idiot.
To a lot of people, 'unkempt' does indeed mean not cared for, and quite possibly unclean.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
So you are actually equating a car accident with hair? Ummmmm.....ok. Quite the stretch there.....
No, I'm saying an awful lot of things don't matter in the 'Grand Scheme of Things'.

Quote:
The toddler's hair should matter to 3 people...the toddler, his mother, and his father. That's it. Grandma's opinion and grandma's friends' opinions get to carry zero importance. And who says the hair is not maintained? Long does not equal unmaintained.

You did get one thing right..."horrible judgmental people". If anyone treats someone differently because of their hair length, that that's on the judgmental person, NOT the one with long hair.
Again, we are down to 'should'. Of course, it shouldn't matter to other people. But oddly enough, it does. And this should be factored into our behavior, because these people's reactions to OUR actions will affect us.

Quote:
If the toddler is OK with it, his mom is OK with it, and his dad is OK with it, then that's all that matters.

My kids as teenagers had long hair. They washed it, combed it, and kept it neat. They liked it, I liked it, the girls certainly liked it. No one else's opinions mattered. My kids had my support, they knew it, and that was all that mattered. Everyone else could just go pound sand if they did not like the long hair.
My son had super-long, bushy hair throughout his 7th and 8th grade years. It was literally the longest hair of any male in the school, by far. We told him that if he kept his grades at the 'straight A' level, he was free to wear his hair any way he liked, as long as it was clean. He kept up his part of the bargain, we kept up ours.

When he went to high school orientation before 9th grade classes started, one of his friends referred to him as 'Jesus'. He asked for us to take him to get his hair cut that night. He has never grown it long since then.

He DID continue to get good grades, throughout high school and college, and has a great Programming job.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, an automobile accident is a non-issue. But on a personal level, things actually matter.
Interesting comparison. People can be hurt or killed in car accidents, and they can cost thousands of dollars. A 2 year old's hair can do none of those things.

A kid's hair isn't personal to any one but his parents, and they apparently like it that way, sooo...

Old 09-06-2015, 11:37 PM

509 posts, read 554,661 times
Please first post a photo of your hair so we can all discuss.
aka: it's not your business, why do you even care?

Old 09-06-2015, 11:59 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In the grand scheme of things, this is a non-issue.

Heck, IMO, even in the minute scheme of things, this is a non-issue.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Personally, I think the mother is nuts, but it's no one's business and I suspect the relatives are exaggerating the negative effect this might be having on the child. Children far younger than this boy can be quite adamant about what they want to look like/wear. If he wanted a haircut, I bet he would ask for one and make a fuss if his mother refused.

I know a five-year-old who wants to wear a dress shirt and tie to kindergarten every day. His parents go along with this even though they think it's weird. Doesn't seem to be hurting him, even though his peers wear nothing like this. His favorite Christmas gift last year was a pin-striped suit but he has agreed to save it for dress occasions.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Personally, I think the mother is nuts, but it's no one's business and I suspect the relatives are exaggerating the negative effect this might be having on the child. Children far younger than this boy can be quite adamant about what they want to look like/wear. If he wanted a haircut, I bet he would ask for one and make a fuss if his mother refused.

I know a five-year-old who wants to wear a dress shirt and tie to kindergarten every day. His parents go along with this even though they think it's weird. Doesn't seem to be hurting him, even though his peers wear nothing like this. His favorite Christmas gift last year was a pin-striped suit but he has agreed to save it for dress occasions.
That kid has style!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting