Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,607,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiciswhereitas View Post
That is true. Parents are doing an rlextremely poor job raising their kids. Spoiling them with toys and iPhones and iPads doesn't teach them anything. And these are the types of parents who go saying some false statements that they had abusive and alcoholic family members in the 1950s. If they had those kinds of so called parents why is it that people from those days were more respectful? If you don't have the proof if parents were abusive and alcholics it means nothing them. But it is fact that parents today spoil their kids left and right. Just walk into an Apple Store and watch parents spoil their kids with iPads or iphones
Quote:
I have one question? Do kids really need 1000.00 in Christmas gifts?? What do they get out of it? Primarily nothing!!!!!
You seem to misunderstand what constitutes 'spoiling'. Spoiling is buying children expensive gifts INSTEAD OF spending time with them. A lot of parents today buy their children things to help make up for the loss of 'free play' time, due to the taking over of structured sports and activities of what used to be the time to explore the world and build life long friendships. This, coupled with the 24/7 media frenzy that pushes parents to believe that children are NEVER safe unless supervised by multiple adults, virtually eliminates the self discovery that was considered normal before the digital age.

Back in the '60's & '70s when I was in school, kids were expected to roam the neighborhoods, spending time with the neighbor kids at their houses, yards, woods, schoolyard playgrounds, and local parks. Today, that communication and discovery is made through those evil iPhones and iPads that you hate buying for the children so much.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,950,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No, their social skill sets have changed is all. I have a lot less people I am friends with outside of work, but I have a lot more people that care about me.
I love when people tell me that social media is anti social.
I don't live close to a single friend of mine currently.
All the people I'm friends with on Facebook have been in my life for close to a decade or more.
I use social media to keep in contact. They love to see the pictures I post.

People aren't more anti-social, they're just social in a different way.
In fact, I'm even going to venture to say that social media can and does bring people even closer together, it enables you to have constant contact with those you care for most. I know just about everything going on in my friends lives even though I don't speak to them daily, without social media I'd lose contact with them.

I think we interact less with strangers, which is fine with me. If I'm out in public it's to get something done, I don't have time to sit down with a stranger outside a grocery store and hear a life story. I'm not going to be the nurse from forest gump while my ice cream melts and I run out of time to get things done.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:29 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,673,388 times
Quote:
Yes but does all of those friends on Facebook would help you if you got into a jam and needed help? I don't think so
Some of them have...and I've helped others from time to time.

You are all over the place with your complaints...you are not proving any of your points...in fact you are looking a bit ridiculous.

Exactly how old are you and what us your life experience with families? I just noticed that you started this thread in the relationship forum and it was moved here....this is probably not your target audience if you just want to complain about your life.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,228,525 times
Quote:
Yes but does all of those friends on Facebook would help you if you got into a jam and needed help? I don't think so
Actually yes. I had two of those friends have me over to their houses when I was having issues with depression. One of our friends also had some money problems after her husband left and we all pitched in to help her. Another needed some help after her Parents died. We've had online baby showers for people in the group. One of the girls had a live feed of her home birth for us to watch. We even send each other Christmas and Birthday gifts. Need I go on, or would you prefer making assumptions about subjects in which you have no clue?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
All the people I'm friends with on Facebook have been in my life for close to a decade or more.

In fact, I'm even going to venture to say that social media can and does bring people even closer together, it enables you to have constant contact with those you care for most. I know just about everything going on in my friends lives even though I don't speak to them daily, without social media I'd lose contact with them.

I think we interact less with strangers, which is fine with me. If I'm out in public it's to get something done, I don't have time to sit down with a stranger outside a grocery store and hear a life story. I'm not going to be the nurse from forest gump while my ice cream melts and I run out of time to get things done.
*Chases TxtQueen down as she leaves the store* Oh YOO HOOOOOOO...Stop for my life story!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,662,538 times
Rage on, Granpa!

Old 09-07-2015, 01:38 PM

41 posts, read 30,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Some of them have...and I've helped others from time to time.

You are all over the place with your complaints...you are not proving any of your points...in fact you are looking a bit ridiculous.

Exactly how old are you and what us your life experience with families? I just noticed that you started this thread in the relationship forum and it was moved here....this is probably not your target audience if you just want to complain about your life.
Yes but read what I said about the smartphone video post or picture alteration. It could happen that one day someone can record you arguing with your husband and post it on Facebook or YouTube. Big brother is watching. What will you do then?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,607,494 times
Quote:
Well Xbox and play station is a complete waste . What do kids get out of that ?? Primarily nothing!!!! I got a computer when I needed it for college,but do you know how?? I worked a summer job and saved for it. That is right, saved my own money and bought it. Christmas is not about spoiling kids with 1000.00 gifts. It is about being with loved ones and family
If you can't afford gifts, then don't buy gifts. If you CAN afford gifts, stop pretending it is some type of moral issue that stops you from buying them. There is a line between frugal, and selfish & stingy.

Do you think that the '50s was an era of no Christmas gifts? It was a golden age with the Sears Christmas catalog running hundreds of pages long. People that could afford it, bought gifts. People who couldn't, made gifts.

It sounds like you want to buy children butter churns for Christmas to 'build character' since you can't imagine that a present meant for actual enjoyment, like a video game, could possibly be worthwhile.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 30,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Why aren't you open talking to strangers? People did it before Facebook and other social media crap, I see what Facebook does it does close people off from being social

Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,950,662 times
Quote:
You bet your sweet arse they would.

I'm friends with family and close friends on Facebook.
The people I have added have been in my life since my young teenage years.
They've all offered a place to stay when I'm traveling, they all have my back, we're just as close as the days we were getting into shenanigans together in class.

One of my friends recently had car trouble and the only reason I knew was because Facebook. I texted my brother and asked him to go over and see what was wrong. Within a few hours he was with her helpings her out. Her car wasn't in park and wouldn't start because of it.... 😂😂😂😂 turned out not to be anything. I haven't seen her IN PERSON in two years, we're still close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting