Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times

Advertisements

Maybe get a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
My 22 year old son lives with us and I love him dearly. He is our only child and a good kid that pays his own bills, has a full time job, pays rent to us and is a very good person. But my heart is broken because he went from a very happy and affectionate kid to a solemn, unaffectionate adult. I know he loves me and has no problem telling me in texts, but when I am moved to give him a hug or any gesture of love, he backs away which kills me inside. I have been trained not to show him any affection and I hate it. He knows it breaks my heart. What mother's heart wouldn't be? He tells me he has a problem with "personal space". There are just those times when your kid looks a certain way or you are so happy for them for whatever reason and the natural thing to do is to show your love with a hug or kiss.
Anyone else have this issue with an adult child? I was hoping as he matured, he would warm up, but it only seems to get worse.
You're reading way too much into this. He's grown up now and wants his space. I did the same thing with my mom and she got the message that a hug was okay occasionally but I didn't want the life sucked out of me. Don't worry about it.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I disagree. A son who won’t hug his mother (he doesn’t have to like it) is just being a selfish ass.
Well, I sort of disagree with you. Some mothers are excessive huggers and some adult children are reluctant huggers. Just because a son does not want to hug his mom multiple times a day does not mean that he is being a "selfish ass". Now, if his mom is upset because she lost her job or her best friend died or she was diagnosed with cancer and wants a hug and her son refuses to hug her then he may be a selfish ass.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
My sons hug their SOs, my husband hugs me. We're all happy. It's time to let the boy go into other arms.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:48 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I disagree. A son who won’t hug his mother (he doesn’t have to like it) is just being a selfish ass.
A mom who instists on hugging anyone who CLEARLY does not want to be hugged is a selfish a#&. If it were a dad wanting to force his daughter to hug him, people would be furious, screaming bloody murder and RAPIST!

As a human, you owe NOBODY a touch.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:50 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,568,640 times
I know this is an old thread but I was really surprised by the number of posts from people that don't like to be hugged.

I would be devastated if my kids wouldn't hug me. Luckily, they do so I don't have that concern.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I would be devastated if my kids wouldn't hug me. Luckily, they do so I don't have that concern.
I wouldn't care if my kids hugged me or not. I'd rather that they show love through other ways, such as respecting boundaries. Not everyone is into physical affection, that is okay.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:30 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
I grew up and my parents never hugged me. It makes sense now that I really don't like hugs. I will give my wife or daughter a hug once in a while but not often. Incidentally, they hug each other often. Honestly, what irritates me is these phony people who feel the need to say "I love you" all the time. Do you really need to say that in public in front of everyone else or is it all for show. The once person who says it constantly is the nastiest person I ever met. Totally insincere.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM

134 posts, read 96,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
My 22 year old son lives with us and I love him dearly. He is our only child and a good kid that pays his own bills, has a full time job, pays rent to us and is a very good person. But my heart is broken because he went from a very happy and affectionate kid to a solemn, unaffectionate adult. I know he loves me and has no problem telling me in texts, but when I am moved to give him a hug or any gesture of love, he backs away which kills me inside. I have been trained not to show him any affection and I hate it. He knows it breaks my heart. What mother's heart wouldn't be? He tells me he has a problem with "personal space". There are just those times when your kid looks a certain way or you are so happy for them for whatever reason and the natural thing to do is to show your love with a hug or kiss.
Anyone else have this issue with an adult child? I was hoping as he matured, he would warm up, but it only seems to get worse.
Tell him what you just said here. That you love him and want to demonstrate that in a way that works for him. Do it the way he prefers. It's true that everyone is different and forcing it will not help.

We all have a need for touch and physical affection. In your case, you will not get it from him so you have to look elsewhere.

It sounds like you needs big hugs is there anyone else you know who does not mind affection that can provide hugs from time to time? Another source of touch could be a pet or stuffed animal.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-07-2018, 09:53 PM

136 posts, read 237,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Not any normal mother of an adult kid that I know of. At 22yo they are adults and don't want their mother all over them, texting "I love you" and wanting hugs constantly.

You are so into your adult kid that your alias name even reflects that.

Your son is telling you to back off.

You are way too involved with him, IMHO.
Really amazes me what people have read into my post. Talk about an ocassionally spontaneous hug, and this has been twisted into “constantly” and other unrelated comments. I am married have three dogs so I am not short of affection by any means. I think it’s very sad how people think affection is bad and how some people have had such affection deprived childhoods. Sorry some think wanting to give a hug once in a blue moon is “too involved”. Don’t know about your upbringing or how your family shows live, if at all, but in my experience giving a hug to someone you love is quite normal. Not talking daily, weekly or monthly folks... once in a blue moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting