Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 04:09 PM

136 posts, read 236,422 times

Advertisements

My 22 year old son lives with us and I love him dearly. He is our only child and a good kid that pays his own bills, has a full time job, pays rent to us and is a very good person. But my heart is broken because he went from a very happy and affectionate kid to a solemn, unaffectionate adult. I know he loves me and has no problem telling me in texts, but when I am moved to give him a hug or any gesture of love, he backs away which kills me inside. I have been trained not to show him any affection and I hate it. He knows it breaks my heart. What mother's heart wouldn't be? He tells me he has a problem with "personal space". There are just those times when your kid looks a certain way or you are so happy for them for whatever reason and the natural thing to do is to show your love with a hug or kiss.
Anyone else have this issue with an adult child? I was hoping as he matured, he would warm up, but it only seems to get worse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,372,862 times
Everyone is different.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:54 PM

20,098 posts, read 16,010,311 times
Some people really do value their personal space. I'm not a touchy-feely person and it takes everything in my power to resist the urge to run away from my husband's close sitting, always touching relatives who just love to hug each other.... and me. It's not that I don't love them, because I do, it's just that all that hugging and kissing is not my thing. I hated the year I taught kindergarten because they insisted on touching me all the freakin' time, even though I really did love my students.

Give him his space and don't take it personally. It's not about you, it's about him.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:04 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,900,655 times
yes some kids and adults do not want to be hugged. respect his wishes and be happy he expresses his love for you in other ways. try not to take it personal.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,810,577 times
Besides the hug issues do you see any sign of depression or other mental health issues? Not everyone likes to be hugged. But if he was cool with it all along and changed his mind at 22..I'd worry something was going on. My young men (children) became more huggy in their 20s.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,545,464 times
One of my 19-year-olds is not really a hugger, but we worked it out where I told him that I understand that he is not a touchy-feely person, but could he understand that every once in a while I would like to hug him??

Now whenever I feel the urge, I say, "OK, I'm coming in for a hug," and I do it and move on. It helped him understand that love and affection are reciprocal, and that we sometimes have different needs.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 PM

Thank you to the last two posts. Gives me another perspective. The only difference is that he was a very loving and affectionate kid and those wonderful times are still fresh in my heart.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
One of my 19-year-olds is not really a hugger, but we worked it out where I told him that I understand that he is not a touchy-feely person, but could he understand that every once in a while I would like to hug him??

Now whenever I feel the urge, I say, "OK, I'm coming in for a hug," and I do it and move on. It helped him understand that love and affection are reciprocal, and that we sometimes have different needs.
I'm going to suggest this to my son. Thank you for your post and I'm glad you were able to reach a compromise. Going without hugging him has been very hard. I hope he's not like this with the girls he dates.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,842,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
Thank you to the last two posts. Gives me another perspective. The only difference is that he was a very loving and affectionate kid and those wonderful times are still fresh in my heart.

It would have broken my mom's heart and I wouldn't be able to live with that as we grew up knowing mom was going to hug and or kiss us at any given moment. It's a mother's right as far as I am concerned unless in the company of your friends who might no feel OK with it.
Screw them anyway cause they aren't friends if they don't get it.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:41 PM

804 posts, read 1,065,244 times
Have you asked him for a hug? I don't like people touching or hugging me without warning. I don't give hugs unless someone asks. Its just my personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting