Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:37 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times

Advertisements

My wife bought a rubberized play mat made up of about 100 different pieces, shapes, letters, edging, etc... and our 9 month old is pulling it apart and putting the pieces in his mouth.

To me this looks like a losing battle - as long as he can pull the mat apart and teethe on the pieces, he's going to do it. I've suggested we back the mat with something to keep him from pulling the pieces apart, or perhaps replace it with a solid mat that can't be pulled apart and chewed on. My wife insists the mat was meant to be pulled apart but not chewed on so we must prevent him from chewing on the pieces because she's 'not sure if it's safe'. I say throw it away if it's not safe to teethe on, but she bought it and will not part with it.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:28 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
LOL. They're gonna chew it unless you stand over them literally 24/7. We got the one with letters and numbers because it was cheaper, with the foreknowledge that it was going to be one giant disgusting chew toy. Still, better than hitting their heads on the hardwood.

Wash as much of the residual factory toxins (made in china) off the pieces as you can before you put them down. Yes, it's a pain in the *****. Put the pieces outside in the sun for a day or two so their VOC's can outgass, then put them down and don't worry about it.

Pull it up every 6 months (or so) to wash and vacuum if you've got the time. It gets pretty nasty under there.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
My wife bought a rubberized play mat made up of about 100 different pieces, shapes, letters, edging, etc... and our 9 month old is pulling it apart and putting the pieces in his mouth.

To me this looks like a losing battle - as long as he can pull the mat apart and teethe on the pieces, he's going to do it. I've suggested we back the mat with something to keep him from pulling the pieces apart, or perhaps replace it with a solid mat that can't be pulled apart and chewed on. My wife insists the mat was meant to be pulled apart but not chewed on so we must prevent him from chewing on the pieces because she's 'not sure if it's safe'. I say throw it away if it's not safe to teethe on, but she bought it and will not part with it.

Ideas?
Of course a 9 month old is going to chew on anything and everything that is available to his hands and mouth. What does your wife plan to do, put mittens and handcuffs on him for the next six months or a year? Or keep him in his crib. Sheesh! One of the ways that a baby learns about the world is by investigating with his hands and mouth.

Just be sure that whatever it is that he is chewing on can not be bit off into tiny pieces that he can choke on. Frankly, I can't picture a mat that comes in 100 pieces as being safe for a 9 month old. Is it the type of "learn and play" mat that is generally safely used by children age three and above?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,161 times
Take the mat out of the play area until the child is old enough to not chew it up. If it is the type of mat I am thinking of, it's mostly foam, which is a choking hazard.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I considered them a choking hazard so we didn't use it until he was older. I read that people put duct tape on the back of them to hold the pieces in but I still wasn't comfortable with them. But it would be better than eating them if you are adamant about using them.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Those are recommended for ages 2 and up.

You need to put it away until he is old enough, and pay attention to those age ranges!!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
They are rated for 3 and up - that's the common cut off for choking hazards as that's typically when a child stops chewing quite so much but also their windpipe isn't as small and they are also more able to spit stuff out if they do break off or bite off a piece.

Either toss it or pack it up and put it away for another couple of of years.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
It is important to understand that part of the way a very young child investigates its world is by putting as many parts of that world into its mouth as it can. If it can lift something, it will put it in its mouth. If it can reach something too big to bring to its mouth, it will bring its mouth to that something and it will suck on it.

With young children, this is not a bug but a feature. As such, the problem is not the child but those items which may be toxic or upon which it may choke.

Oh, and germs? It's a losing battle. Just let the child build up its immune system.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:04 PM

649 posts, read 569,843 times
I have one of these in my living room and my one year old doesn't chew on them much anymore but for awhile she wouldn't keep those things out of her mouth.

For me it wasn't a big deal. The mat now has teeth marks all over it but she never actually ate any of it. I normally take the mat apart once a week and give it a good scrubbing in the bathtub.

If it bothers you that much maybe you should just put it up somewhere for awhile.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Thanks everyone. Since I didn't buy the mat I had no idea it was meant for 2+. Looking it up that is in fact the case, so no wonder we are having difficulties.

It seemed to be turning into a situation where we would end up trying every other option besides the obvious solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting