Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Oh yah totally. I was thinking of smoothies that are blended with whole foods.
You digest a smoothie faster than whole foods. liquids empty from the stomach faster than solids. That's why my doctor sometimes has me go on liquid diets when I am having digestive issues, because they are digested faster/easier.

http://nutritionstudies.org/are-smoothies-good-or-bad/

Smoothies are healthy, but in this case the doctor advises against it due to wanting a general reduction in calories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The apple may have nutrients but sugar, is sugar, is sugar. Your body doesn't know if it came from a carrot or a twinkie. It's still bad.
Sugar from carrots are bad? What's your source on that?

Also, to reiterate what I was talking about earlier:
1. The OP should run juicing or smoothies past their nutritionist, not just us.
2. I never said they should be meal replacements, they need fiber.
3. The less fruits in the juice, the better. For someone new to juicing and smoothies, they're not going to dig a cucumber-kale-lemon-ginger smoothie, so they need to start from somewhere.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
It's curious to me that you only mention water and Koolade - but not juice or milk.

Here are some ideas:

1. Try making a show of buying 4 or 5 different bottled waters, and sit down with him for a serious taste test. Give him a pad and pen to make notes with. And let him choose one.

2. Tell him that a very adult thing to do is to put a slice of lemon in water, and see if he likes it.

3. Do some research as to what juices have the most nutrition with the least sugar.

4. And milk.

5. Absolutely not on the Koolade crap.

I would be very interested to see if the ADHD eases up as he eats less sugar and less chemicals.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Sugar from carrots are bad? What's your source on that?

Also, to reiterate what I was talking about earlier:
1. The OP should run juicing or smoothies past their nutritionist, not just us.
2. I never said they should be meal replacements, they need fiber.
3. The less fruits in the juice, the better. For someone new to juicing and smoothies, they're not going to dig a cucumber-kale-lemon-ginger smoothie, so they need to start from somewhere.
Yep -- carrots are high in sugar. They cause me blood sugar issues. When I was first diagnosed I was warned about "white" foods -- white flour, white sugar, pasta, potatoes... but my diabetes educator (anyone with diabetes NEEDS a food educator) said ROOT VEGGIES. SO -- beets, carrots, potatoes, yams -- all have to be eaten cautiously.

The best thing to do is keep a food diary and test your BG in two hours and WRITE IT DOWN. You will see what does it to you and what doesn't. We are all individuals and some things will spike me, and some things will spike you. Thankfully -- potatoes IN STRICT PORTION CONTROL are fine for me, but rice no matter the color sends my BG soaring and beans send it sky high for a very long time. Beans I measure in bites.

I don't miss rice at all -- meh. But carrots. I miss carrots. I can eat very small amounts, but once I start...oh yum.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:49 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I'm not crazy about straight water (bottled or tap), but I don't want the calories or the chemicals from flavored drinks. You know what makes water way more palatable to me? Throwing a slice of fruit or two in there and letting it steep for a while. (Some people like cucumber, too, but I think it's disgusting.) Lemon is a good default but other stuff works, too. Barely any extra calories, and nothing artificial, no sweeteners. It makes it prettier, too, so I guess the effect is probably part psychological.

You could also do iced unsweetened herbal teas...some of the berry teas taste pretty good iced, and again, that's basically no calories if you use the right stuff.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm not crazy about straight water (bottled or tap), but I don't want the calories or the chemicals from flavored drinks. You know what makes water way more palatable to me? Throwing a slice of fruit or two in there and letting it steep for a while. (Some people like cucumber, too, but I think it's disgusting.) Lemon is a good default but other stuff works, too. Barely any extra calories, and nothing artificial, no sweeteners. It makes it prettier, too, so I guess the effect is probably part psychological.

You could also do iced unsweetened herbal teas...some of the berry teas taste pretty good iced, and again, that's basically no calories if you use the right stuff.
Yep

Try aqua frescas - take juicy fruit like watermelon. Throw a few pieces into a pitcher of water and mash them up a bit, and let stand for a while. Pineapple works great too, or orange, or berries.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Have you considered juicing? I think it's a great way to get nutrition on the sneak. The best part is it's all natural, you KNOW there aren't any preservatives or anything in them.

My daughter loves it, and prefers them over store-bought juices and sodas. It does take some work for prep and cleanup, but I just sip mine while cleaning up, and my daughter gets super-excited when I bring the juicer out. I got a like new top-of-the-line juicer from ebay, figuring someone else tried it and didn't like it. Saved a bundle on it.

Maybe your husband could get in on juicing too. Start off with some juicing newbie recipes, like pineapple and orange, or apple and carrot. Then you can start working in greens like kale, or ginger, celery, chard, etc. Just keep in mind that while it's natural, the more fruit is in it, the more sugar is there. The more vegetables you can put in, the better.
PLEASE DON"T DO THIS! For a person who is overweight, juicing is not appropriate. You're extracting the sugar bearing liquid, which triggers insulin production and hunger, and not eating the fiber, which causes one to feel full and satisfied. The kid should drink water. Get a filter pitcher, like Brita, and filter the tap water. The charcoal filter takes out all odd smells and tastes, such as chloramines from chlorination.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:22 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
The fact is, even sweet tasting but no calorie beverages trigger insulin production, and hence hunger. Water.

Also cut way back on bread, pasta, potatoes, all simple carbs. Diet should be largely food that you cook yourself from the basic ingredients - lean protein, fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, some non fat no sugar dairy, and a small to reasonable amount of complex carbs, like beans, steel cut oats, garbanzos, etc. Get rid of the cake, cookies, chips, candy, soda, juice, crackers, goldfish, "fruit" rollups, etc. And lots of physical exercise - swim team, soccer, basketball, football, lacrosse. Baseball/softball consist largely of sitting and standing, not moving that much, so they're not the best for exercise. If he's a toddler or preschool age, take him to the playground as much as possible - daily, even twice a day.

It is hard to do this. But there is no easy way, no magic secret to a healthy weight. It's fewer calories in, and more calories expended in exercise.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:38 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There are concerns that fake sugar can impact children negatively two ways. One, it trains them to expect that unnaturally sweet flavor and may actually increase sugar cravings. Second, and the studies on this are preliminary at best, that fake sugars are negatively impacting the insulin/sugar metabolic pathways indirectly. The mechanism is not known, and most evidence tends to be correlations (diet soda drinkers having unexpectedly high rates of diabetes 2) and so on.

I am with you on this one and see zero benefit to allowing flavored sugar free drinks. They say you have to pick your battles, this is one I would pick but ultimately you have to decide if it worth going to the mat for in your family. Hopefully if you tell your husband that this important to you, maybe you won't have to fight over th science of it. Good luck.
And Aspertame and all other faux sweeteners are known to produce (and/or) aggravate A-fib. This is NOT something he wants in his life, even if he doesn't yet know it. (Speaking from experience here.)

Blessings to you and yours,

Mahrie.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:46 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
PLEASE DON"T DO THIS! For a person who is overweight, juicing is not appropriate. You're extracting the sugar bearing liquid, which triggers insulin production and hunger, and not eating the fiber, which causes one to feel full and satisfied. The kid should drink water. Get a filter pitcher, like Brita, and filter the tap water. The charcoal filter takes out all odd smells and tastes, such as chloramines from chlorination.
Please read the rest of this thread, your concerns have been addressed multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting