Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:10 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times

Advertisements

The schools here basically require a doctor's note to be excused. They send kids home for non-illness related diarrhea and vomiting. I have one kid with a weak stomach. He will vomit at the sight of a squished bug or two weeks ago, his brother stuck a gummy worm in his nose and ate it. My son with the weak stomach threw up. The school would send him home for this, but I send him to school anyway. My other son 'sharted' one day. He went to the nurse's office and they wouldn't just let me bring him clean underwear. He had to go home. They have a weird 24 hour rule which basically amounts to 48 hours. His event happened in first hour and he had to go home that day and all of the next. He wasn't sick. Sometimes certain foods cause diarrhea and that was his problem.

If my child has a cold or something and I really don't want to pay $50 for a doctor's visit, then the best way to get an excused absence is to send them to school and have the nurse send them home. Otherwise, I would be more lenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 02:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It may not hurt them but it can be a problem to a working parent who needs to save those limited days off for when the child is actually sick or have the days available for a vacation.
Then its a problem for the parent, not the child, as the post I quoted and replied to had stated.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, there is a huge difference between the first day or two of a bad cold when the child is running a high fever, has numerous aches & pains, is sneezing and "coughing out a lung" and their nose is running like a sieve and later days when the cold is under control. IMHO, most parents do keep their children home when the cold symptoms are at their worse.
I'm going off of the idea that last night Junior was okay and this morning he says he's sick - which is one of the most contagious days of the common cold outside of the preceding three to four days when symptoms aren't present.

I found the tone of this thread telling because if it was about taking sick kids to daycare parents would be freaking the hell out at the mere drip of a snotty nose entering their precious child's space.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
My kids would attend very few days of school between November and March if they stayed home every time they had a cough or runny nose. We wash our hands, use Kleenex, cover mouths, etc. especially conscientiously during cold season, but it's just not feasible to stay home every time a common cold comes around.
Perhaps the Cough and Cold Brigade is off today. They usually appear on the "Send sick kids to school?" threads.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm going off of the idea that last night Junior was okay and this morning he says he's sick - which is one of the most contagious days of the common cold outside of the preceding three to four days when symptoms aren't present.

I found the tone of this thread telling because if it was about taking sick kids to daycare parents would be freaking the hell out at the mere drip of a snotty nose entering their precious child's space.
I sent my kids to daycare/preschool with snotty noses all the time. Lots of people did. The parents who seemed to keep their kids home, go to the doctors for minor colds were kind of thought has hysterics by Us other moms.

Cold symptoms can go on for up to 4 weeks and be totally normal. If my kids stayed home for that, they would never graduate a grade.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I sent my kids to daycare/preschool with snotty noses all the time. Lots of people did. The parents who seemed to keep their kids home, go to the doctors for minor colds were kind of thought has hysterics by Us other moms.

Cold symptoms can go on for up to 4 weeks and be totally normal. If my kids stayed home for that, they would never graduate a grade.
It's very different if the kid has something contagious that the spread can be controlled. Like a skin infection or hand foot and mouth.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:04 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Then its a problem for the parent, not the child, as the post I quoted and replied to had stated.
Doesn't matter. The result is the same. The reason many working parents can't just overlook a child who just wants a mental health day stands. It may not hurt that child, but it does impact the family. Even more so if a single, working parent is involved. Those days can be precious.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Doesn't matter. The result is the same. The reason many working parents can't just overlook a child who just wants a mental health day stands. It may not hurt that child, but it does impact the family. Even more so if a single, working parent is involved. Those days can be precious.
Of course it doesn't. You just have to find a reason to fight with someone...

Old 09-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Of course it doesn't. You just have to find a reason to fight with someone...
Back atcha

My only point is that the everyone needs a MH day and it's not a big deal thing is fine if one parent is at home. For parents who work outside the home, single parents in particular, it's more complicated and the rules/guidelines for those families may, necessarily, be more strict. Different perspectives than yours are not always looking for a fight.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-19-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-19-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Also...you didn't quote anyone. You simply made a pronouncement as to the necessity of MH days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting