Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:26 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

The reason why we decided to take a week off from school is two fold. 1) we are new to a cold climate and know we are going to need a warm respite in the depths of winter 2) both my daughter and myself hate crowds. So taking vacations at times school is out is torture for us. I figure it's one of the perks of private school because they really don't seem to care as long as the child is doing fine in class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I remember a girl going on a big out of state ski trip and missing a whole week in middle school. Now that I'm an adult, I can see how things can come up. Some jobs don't allow for time off at certain times of the year. People are more likely to live far from family than they were a generation or 2 ago. I can see how it makes sense in some circumstances, but not just for a "fun" vacation that could be taken any time.
For us, we had an opportunity to have a vacation that we never would have been able to afford if we did it during prime vacation time. Once in a lifetime, we took a look at the real impact to the kids' education and progress during the school year and made the correct decision to go on vacation.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
I don't think people are saying "don't go on vacation" but what the data shows is that every time a child misses class their performance is impacted. You're also sending clear messages about the value of school.

For us this was a significant issue because our girls missed days of school for school sporting events and tournaments. Our younger daughter is an auditory learner and so absences affect her more than others because she hasn't heard the info.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that if a student misses 10% of the school days they are at risk of academic problems. Now of course, I'll never find that reference again! But that's not many days, about 1 every two weeks.
That would mean missing 18 days of school, or over 3 full weeks. That's quite a bit, if you ask me...

Old 09-22-2015, 09:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
That would mean missing 18 days of school, or over 3 full weeks. That's quite a bit, if you ask me...
If you look at some attendance records, lots of kids do miss that much. A few sick days here, a few "vacation" days there, a few "mental health" days somewhere else, and it adds up fast. 10% is a day every 10 days, one every two weeks.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am wondering how other parents deal with "sick days"?
For us, a kid sick enough to come home from school went straight to bed on their own. If they feel good enough to sit on the couch and play with their phone and watch TV, they're going back to school.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:04 AM

154 posts, read 259,925 times
My kids have been awarded perfect attendance certificates in some school years. Thankfully they are not very prone to sickness so it is very rare for them to be out due to it. Also, they really truly love going to school so even if they are feeling a bit off still insist on attending. I have only had to pick up any of them from school due to sickness maybe twice.

Now, when we took them to Disney World the best time we could fit it in that worked for all of us included them missing school. They missed 3 days of school that year. I made sure to inform all the teachers before hand and none of them had a problem with it. We came back and they got caught up pretty quickly.

I would not let my child just stay home because they want to. I see many parents not sending their kids to school because it is snowing or it is going to snow. If the school is open my kids are going.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 AM

151 posts, read 159,469 times
If they're contagious, you keep them home. Seriously. My mom made me go to school throwing up. You helicopter parents really need to think about the effect you are having on others (and your own kid).

Old 09-22-2015, 10:30 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosk8er View Post
If they're contagious, you keep them home. Seriously. My mom made me go to school throwing up. You helicopter parents really need to think about the effect you are having on others (and your own kid).
Im confused...we do or do not send them to school throwing up? What makes a helicopter parent here? Keeping them home sick? Or sending them? So confused

Old 09-22-2015, 10:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Im confused...we do or do not send them to school throwing up? What makes a helicopter parent here? Keeping them home sick? Or sending them? So confused
I think the kid means his mom made him go to school when he didn't want to. And also believes that throwing up means you are automatically contagious, which isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting