Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 PM

8 posts, read 8,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Aww, I'm so sorry. She sounds like she was a very loving wonderful mom. Your memories of her are telling you the right way to help raise the boys.
Yes, she was a wonderful mother, always available, always there for us and she was the one who really took care of us.

Besides, she was the only one who could put with my dad's BS. Not that he was bad for her or mistreated her but he's the "I'm always right" type so I don't know how she managed it for 39 years. Still, I must say I admire his dedication to her in her last months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
No, he never says anything in front of them. It's really awkward to watch him greet a 2 year old, barely a baby, with an handshake.

I think he's just a grumpy old guy but he's not ill intentioned. He just hasn't moved on with the times and treats the boys as his little recruits.
There's nothing wrong with your hugs and kisses and there's nothing wrong with his approach either. He's just loving them in his own way. Maybe it'll do the kids some good to have a little of both kinds of male influences in their lives.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
I'm with you. Kids get to an age where they let you know when the affection is over. Your dad is way too rigid and if you say he's a homophobe he's gone over the top with it.
Yes, he hates homossexuals and goes on these big speeches about the gay lobby dominating the Western world and that guys who are into women being a dying species, etc, etc.

He can have the opinion he wants but I don't think kissing toddlers will make them gay.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:35 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
The father of my oldest son stopped giving kisses when our son was very young, probably 2. I think it's a hang-up. The stupidest thing in the world. Not only that, a young child might take it as rejection by the strong male role models they look up to. Of course, in some cultures, friends greet each other with a kiss no matter the gender. I sorta like that!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
You sound like a great Uncle. Please don't stop letting your nephews kiss & hug you. I'd be proud you're such a kid magnet, and know that you're another great male role model for these boys. I've never heard anyone say they had too much love as a kid. And if you continue this loving relationship with them, you'll be their confidant. That's what happened between me and my grand daughters, since I'm a kid "magnet" also. Even the 16 year old still hugs and kisses me and tells me all of her secrets.
Thank you. I try my best to be a good company for them and we've lots of fun together. I get on the floor and I'm their prisioner.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
I had the same problem with my dad. He is gone now but he also had his hang ups about hugging or kissing me. I thought for years he didn't love me. Well what is a child supposed to think when he lavishes hugs and kisses on my sisters? They grew up in a different era. I tried to talk to him later in life but he wouldn't see my point of view. Too bad, my dad and I were never close. We never really felt comfortable in each other's company...

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
my brother doesn't have any problem with that as well.
That's all you need to know. Your brother is the kids' father, so what he (and his wife) say is how it goes. Your father's opinion is noted and filed away, to be safely ignored.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:55 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Pssh. Happens with Hispanic families all the time. No big deal.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Of course there is not a problem with it. Nor will there a problem if in 30 years they still want to give their uncle a hug and a kiss. Showing love does not make one soft.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
I agree with everyone that it's healthy. My Dad and I hugged and kissed publicly & privately when we saw each other, until I lost him several years ago. It was the same with my Mom, but even moreso.

Now I'm an Uncle and a kid magnet, and I'm passing it on.

Last edited by JMatl; 09-18-2015 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting