Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Hormones, attitude and rolling eyes..we have them all here. It gets better.

10 Truths Middle Schoolers Should Know*|*Kari Kubiszyn Kampakis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 PM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
Middle school was awful. Even though I was one of the more popular kids with a lot of good friends, thinking of those days makes me cringe.

It's funny, when we move from 8th to 9th grade we go from the top of the social order to the bottom, but I think back on my freshman year with so much fondness but I think of 8th grade as a nightmare. 8th grade was awesome compared to 6th and 7th. What a horrible time.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:19 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
I'm pretty sure no middle schooler is going to read that blog.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Seriously, thank you so much!!! I just let my 8th grader read this and it really hit home with him. Although, I think it was better for ME as I stress and worry about his development, lol. THANKS!!!!

Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
? Mine did; happily. Good parents open the floor for conversations like this; and this article is a good tool to get them talking.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
My two middle schoolers read it and then we had a wonderful discussion about it. It helped that their 32 year old sister was here too for the conversation. She had a unique perspective to add and they really look up to her.

And even if kids don't read it, it might help parents navigate these rocky waters with their kids.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:45 AM

123 posts, read 82,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hormones, attitude and rolling eyes..we have them all here. It gets better.

10 Truths Middle Schoolers Should Know*|*Kari Kubiszyn Kampakis

I didn't like "Truth # 9: The worst goal to have is popularity."

In middle school, you can be popular for being physically attractive, a good conversationalist, getting good grades, and being athletic. Outside of the 1st point, none of those things are damaging when you get older.

People that "run with the fast crowd in middle school" aren't popular. Kids think they are losers.

That's more a high school problem than a middle school problem.

I liked "Truth # 7: Show me your friends and I'll show you your future."

You can tell which kids are good people and which are bad just by having a 15-minute conversation with their friends.

I also didn't like "Truth # 6: Middle school is largely about conformity."

That is an oversimplification. Cliques of kids are about conformity to each other, but their shared goal is to stand out over their peers. Otherwise, middle school kids wouldn't take such risky behaviors when their peers are around.

I think this truth could have been better written to say: "Don't limit your friends by being part of a clique. Be friends with cliques who support your interests and if a clique tries to say you can only be part of their clique, leave them and make them watch you outperform them. Then, they will come back to you and accept you and all your interests."

I also didn't like "Truth # 5: Even the most driven kids will wind up on different paths from those they had originally envisioned."

That certainly isn't true. If you train to be an athlete for years and play that sport all through high school and college, even if you don't turn pro, you still played that sport for 10-15 years.

I think Truth # 4 is mostly useless for the intended age group.

While a sports team does not increase your self-worth, it does affect how other people treat you and the types of opportunities that are opened to you, which will usually affect the choices you make, which indirectly affects (either positively or negatively) your self-worth.

We can acknowledge that (in a vacuum) the kid's self-worth has not changed, but the kid isn't living in a vacuum, they are living in a school.

I also think Truth # 3 is mostly useless for the intended age group.

No 6th grader thinks: "The best applause to live for is the quiet peace inside you."

Your likes, comments, and shares are a quantifiable measure of your popularity relative to the number of friends/followers you have.

A famous celebrity might get a million likes on their profile, but might have 10 million followers, so they have 10% of their group liking their content. If a 6th grader only has 100 friends and 40 people like their content, then 40% of their group likes their content.

Of course, you have to taken into account that in a group of 10 million followers, there might be a lot of inactive accounts in that group that should not count in the overall subtotal. But even if you cut that subtotal in half, the celebrity still only has 20% of their group liking their content, so the kid is still more popular within their sphere of influence.

Truth #'s 2 and 1 might fail for a below average kid: "Do they recognize my talent and potential and encourage me, or do they drag me down by harping on where I fall short?"

If the kid is short in a lot of areas, it will seem like the person is "harping on where they fall short." But pretending that deficiencies are talent and encouraging those deficiencies is even more damaging.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
Default Freshman Advice Article

[url=http://theodysseyonline.com/susquehanna/dear-frosh-me/454988]Dear Freshman Me | Odyssey[/url]

As a highschool senior I wrote this article to my freshman self. Share this with your soon to be freshmen !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting