Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:14 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times

Advertisements

Why are you letting the party run you, instead of you running the party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 05:00 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ88 View Post
Fair enough, I knew this question would come.

You're exactly right, I think parents that throw home birthday parties are at ease anyway with having company at the house. I however prefer smaller groups of company, large groups and having to tend to a large group (although not a burden by any means) makes my head spin. That is just me, I am not a large group type of person, I like smaller intimate settings. To each their own. I'm a bit high strung, and fully can't relax with a house full of kids and parents that I am not close to.
I completely get this. We always did parties at "party places," never at home because it stressed me out too much to have a bunch of people in the house. As the kids got older, we celebrated with a few friends. You don't HAVE to have a big party for every birthday, you know. Do what you are comfortable with.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:01 AM

649 posts, read 815,839 times
Just put on the invitation what you want, and make the timing work for drop-off if you want drop off. Nobody will drop off for an hour party, make it two hours and put "drop off encouraged" on the invite. I have a small house and a son with a typically rainy birthday so I put "drop off encouraged." In my neck of the woods it totally depends on the location of the party and duration of the party whether parents stay or not. My village is tiny so no partygoers are more than five minutes away so you get mostly drop off for a house party. Laser tag parties are about half an hour away and we tend to stay for those. Having parents at a party is no big deal and you become more comfortable in your community, I know it feels weird at first, but you will come to enjoy it.

For DSs 6th one of the staying dads was THE life of the party and a tremendous help when it started to pour on the bouncehouse. We could not have done it without him.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
I would be happy if the parents would put in the invite drop your kid off at 10 and pick up at 12, for example. I hate sitting through children's parties. Most parents won't even talk to guests if they don't know them. This always happens to me for classmate parties where I don't know the parents. All of that could be avoided if the host would just state drop off your kids and go, you know?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:19 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Think your current plan works well and until kids get of the age where mommy and daddy arent tagging along I would have it away from home. If the parents dont know you well enough to let the child come alone then they shouldnt let the child attend. Can see where having them tag along would cost a fortune.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:08 AM

493 posts, read 511,621 times
Yea I might do a venue for my sons 6th birthday next month then most of my family wont come. I always tease my friends and say I wish I could have "white peoples party"like theirs. It might be a cultural thing but I will have 40 family members (most I did not invite) show up at my house and stay till God knows when. Plus last year my son invited a few friends from school(like 5), some from church, and karate. I had about 65 people. Imagine how much it cost to feed them and give out goodie bags. Never Again!!!

Old 11-15-2015, 11:15 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
The child's b day party typically last about 2 hours. Not that big a deal. Its unfortunate that many parents these days don't want to get along with each other, for the sake of their children. I, however, love to meet new people and talk to them. I do not expect free cake for myself. Or free food.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZ88 View Post
Does that sound bad? I don't want to host a home birthday party for my 6 yr old son because I don't feel like entertaining the parents. Last time I had to purchase an extra cake just so I could feed the parents. Then I was worrying about if the parents were comfortable, if they had a place to sit, if they needed something to drink, etc. I had to buy extra food in anticipation that several sets up parents would come and stay.

When I was a kid back in the early 80's I never remember parents attending birthday parties but the social group I am with it's the norm for most parents to stay the entire time. I'm that parent, if I don't know the family really well I stay, and the hosts don't seem to mind, but that's just not me. I want the party to be about my son and his friends, not the parents. If I wanted to hang out with the parents AND children I would have a neighborhood bbq where everybody could come. I want my son's party to be about him, not worrying if I'm going to be a good host and having to plan for 10 extra people(parents) that might show up and stay.

This year were are having his party at a venue, problem solved. Just wanted to see how others felt about home birthday parties for children.
Smart choice. It is too hard to entertain the parents...You miss your Son's whole party being host to adults.
RElax, let the staff do the hosting, you take pics, and enjoy your son's birthday And, I would make it mandatory that a parent remain at the party with their child who attends...N.o drop-offs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting