Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:42 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,545,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Why not just sit the little girl down and ask "Why are you so mean to your great grandmother? Why can't you appreciate what she is trying to do for you?"
It has been my experience (raised 5 kids) that 6 year olds are not as out of touch with themselves as some would like to think. Be prepared to get an earful if the kid decides to open up!
Sounds like a good idea to me. I am wondering if someone hasn't poisoned her mind against her Great-Grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:14 PM

15,832 posts, read 21,346,463 times
Quote:
Why not just sit the little girl down and ask "Why are you so mean to your great grandmother? Why can't you appreciate what she is trying to do for you?"
It has been my experience (raised 5 kids) that 6 year olds are not as out of touch with themselves as some would like to think. Be prepared to get an earful if the kid decides to open up!
Both of her parents are in jail. She had witnessed her parents being violent with one another. Were they violent with her? She self harms (bites herself) when in trouble - that is the sign of a DEEPLY disturbed little girl. A grown up in such circumstances would be "out of touch with themselves" (ever talk to a teenager or young adult who aged out of the foster care system?). A little girl with little stability and a whole lot of violence in her young life who is seemingly receiving little to no support to help her make sense of what has happened to and around her is not going to be capable of explaining her reaction to her great grandmother. And "appreciate what she is trying to do for you"? Really? This little girl didn't choose to be born into a dysfunctional family who seem unable to put a child's best interests first.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,800,535 times
Such a sad thing to read. I agree that the great grandma is too old to be trying to handle this situation. She is probably very well intentioned, but even a "normal" kid is a lot of work and the elderly just don't have what it takes to be a parent full time, particularly to a child with special needs.

I think you can ask her directly why she gets so angry at great grandma. She may say she doesn't know. She is probably just an angry girl due to life events and just lashes out at great grandma because she can. Counseling is probably her best bet though as her issues are deeper than typical kid angst.

When she is throwing her fits and hitting and biting herself, I hope someone will scoop her up and hold her, rock her and calmly tell her everything is okay. If she hits or bites the person they should just ignore it. She will learn it gets no reaction and stop doing it. I would hold her tight if I could! She probably hasn't had too much positive touch in her little life.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:47 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,920,095 times
Right. "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen..."
BULL PUCKY!
I saw my stepfather put my mother in the hospital not once, but several times, as a result of drunken rages. I don't know my biological father. It is said I met him once, but the "sperm donor" didn't acknowledge me as his son.
We raised 5 kids; one of hers, two of mine, and two of ours.
Yeah, we been there, did that, when it comes to kids.
IMO, that girl needs to be kept as far as possible from so-called "mental health professionals"!
We had to deal with them, once, too. Keep in mind that no matter what they do, they have NO responsibility for the results, good or bad! CPS can not be sued for anything they do or say! You can prove them absolutely, irrevocably WRONG, and they will simply say "Sorry about that!" (if they say anything at all), then turn and walk away. YOU WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE whatsoever!
Whoever reported to CPS is also immune.
Been there, did that, too!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:58 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,677,618 times
She needs professional help to get through the numerous issues in her life. She may not really know why GMA gets all her anger...it could be something she heard...a misunderstanding or just that she needs to release her anger and she's the best target.

Get her HELP!

PS: Tia914 - you have no clue...medications are not the first thing they put a child on before finding the problem....and so what if an issue is discovered that can be helped....certainly is better than a little girl that self harms and lashes out. Would you really prefer a child covered in bite marks to one that had trained adults to help her through her stressful life?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Quote:
BULL PUCKY!
I saw my stepfather put my mother in the hospital not once, but several times, as a result of drunken rages. I don't know my biological father. It is said I met him once, but the "sperm donor" didn't acknowledge me as his son.
IMO, that girl needs to be kept as far as possible from so-called "mental health professionals"!
We had to deal with them, once, too. Keep in mind that no matter what they do, they have NO responsibility for the results, good or bad! CPS can not be sued for anything they do or say! You can prove them absolutely, irrevocably WRONG, and they will simply say "Sorry about that!" (if they say anything at all), then turn and walk away. YOU WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE whatsoever!
It's too bad you had a bad experience and now are spreading misinformation that could also harm others.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:12 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,677,618 times
Quote:
BULL PUCKY!
Who said anything about CPS? They are not the source of all psychological support for children.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,219,439 times
What clown thought placing a traumatized 6 year old with an 80 year old, was a good idea?

And what of the grandma, the one with custody?

Why hasn't she got them a place to live?

What a horrible situation for GGma, honestly. Its wildly inappropriate she should have to spend her senior years trying to deal with other peoples messes!

Can welfare not step in!

I just had to come back and say OP all the advice in the world will not help!!! This is a MAJOR issue and poor old GGma simply being abused and used! She needs the support too, she cannot be expected to Solve this herself!

This situation is absolutely appalling, the child no doubt needs major help and support, the GGma is the LAST person able to give it!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 PM

590 posts, read 711,277 times
The fact that the childs parents are in jail is tell tale sign of the childs homelife. Children live what they learn....

Old 10-01-2015, 12:53 AM

7,985 posts, read 5,351,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post

The girl is very smart, and has been through a lot in her short life.
Sounds pretty easy to me. She is angry with the World, it has let her down and she has directed her anger at her great grandmother.

Jeez, six years old and she has to deal with her parents being in jail? Sad, no child should have to deal with those issues. Shame on the parents.

She needs major counseling. Basically play therapy. A six year old is not mature enough to even know why she is acting the way she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting