Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 PM

634 posts, read 708,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What you claim to have done hasn't been the norm in recent history. Are you 100 years old, or something?
Too funny...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 09:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
In our jurisdiction, the law says:

There is no law in Alberta that specifies at what age children can be left alone. When considering leaving a child unsupervised, age and maturity are important factors in assessing whether care and supervision is adequate. Many Albertans expect families to arrange care or supervision for children left alone under the age of 12.

If a child is in an unsafe situation, a child intervention worker has the ability to investigate and support the parents to take action to ensure the child is protected. If you believe a child is unsafe, refer the matter to your local Child and Family Services Authority or to the Child Abuse Hotline (1-800-387-5437).

You need to be 12 to babysit someone else's children.

Source

Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated68 View Post
Thank you, truthfully I don't think he is ready either, but trying to get an idea of when other people do this / handle it
So then why did you leave him alone last year?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When our son was 8, we left he and a 9 yr old buddy at home for 2 and a half hours. Upon return, the inside of the toilet bowl was covered with soot. They claimed to have no knowledge, which I failed to believe. After lengthy quizzing, my son finally confessed how they piled tissue as high as they could and set it afire, then flushed the toilet. They hadn't noticed the soot. At least it wasn't done in the middle of the floor, but clearly it was the wrong choice for us to leave them alone.
It's also illegal in many states to leave kids that young home alone. Why on Earth would you even consider leaving an 8 and 9 year old home alone?

Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's also illegal in many states to leave kids that young home alone. Why on Earth would you even consider leaving an 8 and 9 year old home alone?
I'd leave an 8 and 9 year old home alone if they were mature enough. Probably wouldn't leave any matches or lighters around though....

I leave the 7 year old I look after at home for half an hour while I pick up my kid from daycare, she's fine, just plays with the neighbour kids (and its ok with her parents) and I leave the door unlocked for her so she can get in and out (she generally plays out during this time) but I do have lots of neighbours who all look out for each other's kids, in another area it would be different.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:11 AM

86 posts, read 76,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So then why did you leave him alone last year?
If you read the whole thread, you would see that it was just an overnight, we left him at 8pm and were home by 10am. We were also 15 miles / 20 minutes away from him, IN TOWN.

I (read: me and my wife, his mother) would do this again.

What I was talking about here was an "all weekend" situation. We would leave after work on Friday, return late sunday, so it would be 2 whole days and 2 nights. AND be out of town.

I think that's worlds apart.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:12 AM

86 posts, read 76,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I agree with mighty mom. I have very serious concerns about you. Being negative about this stepson in the other thread and then leaving him alone overnight, that is way too young, 13 or 14 years old. Child Protective Services could come pay you a visit especially if the biological father finds out you are doing this. It's considered child neglect in some states.
Not in my state... Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-04-2015 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Calling another poster is not allowed and use the dm or report to notify a mod

Old 10-04-2015, 09:15 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
I never heard of anything like that here. I understand Finland is a bit more progressive in some things and kids maybe more mature overall than American kids.

Some states have school choice, but more so involves where the parent works vs where they live....i.e. if parents work in a bigger city and live outside of town they may want their kid in the schools where they work for ease of pick up and drop off, etc.
I graduated high school @ 17 and moved out on my own. I could have done the same thing at 16. Not much difference. I started babysitting at 12, and had summer jobs by the time I was 16. Permanent full time jobs by the time I was 17.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Thread has been moderated and is reopened, because there is much good and helpful information about the age children can be left alone overnight.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-05-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What you claim to have done hasn't been the norm in recent history. Are you 100 years old, or something?
Remember the good old days when a 10-year-old could drop out of school and work in a factory all day? They're so coddled nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting