Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,006 times

Advertisements

It seems like most people I have met who only had one child didn't do it by choice. My aunt was told that after she had her first that she wouldn't physically be able to have anymore or it could kill her. One of my friends is an only child. He seems quite bitter that his parents only had him and didnt have any other kids because it puts pressure on him to have grandchildren plus he is gay so he feels guilty about that. I told him that his parents may not have deliberately chose to only have him .....maybe his mom couldn't get pregnant again. It is not always easy to get pregnant. Did you deliberately choose just to have one child or were you just not physically able to have more and thats why you only had one? I have rarely met anyone who said they only want one child unless they are past their 40s once they had the first and only child. Plus it seems like it is really tough for someone to be an only child . I don't know too many only children who enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:19 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
My sister only has one and that's all she decided she wanted. When she was pregnant she was planning on her second and after having my nephew and all that comes with raising a child decided to stop. Her husband was ok with that.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
It seems like most people I have met who only had one child didn't do it by choice. My aunt was told that after she had her first that she wouldn't physically be able to have anymore or it could kill her. One of my friends is an only child. He seems quite bitter that his parents only had him and didnt have any other kids because it puts pressure on him to have grandchildren plus he is gay so he feels guilty about that. I told him that his parents may not have deliberately chose to only have him .....maybe his mom couldn't get pregnant again. It is not always easy to get pregnant. Did you deliberately choose just to have one child or were you just not physically able to have more and thats why you only had one? I have rarely met anyone who said they only want one child unless they are past their 40s once they had the first and only child. Plus it seems like it is really tough for someone to be an only child . I don't know too many only children who enjoy it.
I am an Only Child by choice. I'm 67. When you are very young, yes, we want a sibling to "play with". However, I would say once you reach your pre-teens you start to understand the benefits of being an Only. Yes, there are. You also tend to grow up and mature faster since you are constantly around adult family members. An Only has a far easier time of communicating with adults at much younger ages. It is not as frightening going out in the adult world since you have always been in an adult world.

Just because a child has siblings does not mean that they will be friends, whether in childhood or adulthood. My adult daughters could probably write a dissertation on that theme. Opposites do not always attract. lol

Old 10-06-2015, 09:53 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
My brother has just one child; she was born when he and his wife were in their mid/late-20s. They have decided one child is enough for them. They happen to be more career oriented than family oriented, imho. Some only children are happy; others feel cheated by being an only. Some are happy in big families with loads of siblings; others hated growing up with siblings and wish they were an only child.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:04 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
My brother has only one child, because once he and his (late) wife had him, they realized that he was the recipient of some previously unknown genetic issues. So they decided to stop after that.

As an adoptive parent (of two kids), I have a number of other adoptive families in my circle. Several of them chose to only "get" only one child, simply because the outrageous expense and mind-numbing difficulty of the adoption process precluded them from doing more than that.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:29 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I am an Only Child by choice. I'm 67. When you are very young, yes, we want a sibling to "play with". However, I would say once you reach your pre-teens you start to understand the benefits of being an Only. Yes, there are. You also tend to grow up and mature faster since you are constantly around adult family members. An Only has a far easier time of communicating with adults at much younger ages. It is not as frightening going out in the adult world since you have always been in an adult world.

Just because a child has siblings does not mean that they will be friends, whether in childhood or adulthood. My adult daughters could probably write a dissertation on that theme. Opposites do not always attract. lol
This is good to know, since I have one child. You are right about siblings too, as I have a brother and I hardly see him since he married his very controlling wife.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 AM

526 posts, read 898,830 times
my friend since grade school always wanted a child (one child) ---- she had her girl & made sure she had no more. She made that plan when she was a child herself, kept to it, and has no regrets (note: she had 2 siblings)

Old 10-06-2015, 10:37 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
I only have one child and yes by choice. In different circumstances I probably would have had another.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 AM

49 posts, read 68,679 times
Word of advice to all those planning to have children...just have one. Save on money, time and energy.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
My son and DIL have one, and say they will not have another. She suffered from hyperemesis gravidarum all during the pregnancy,and the memory is still fresh three years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting