Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:05 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post

We all know the reason for that is because they want to sell your info so people under 13 are not valuable to them and that is such a self-serving reason for that rule.
Ummm... no.
Most of us parents know it is because of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

So... the previous poster was right... you are a teen and not a parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 AM

123 posts, read 82,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm... no.
Most of us parents know it is because of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

So... the previous poster was right... you are a teen and not a parent?

You didn't read my following post:

They could let you make an account by entering a screename and password and collect ZERO data on the child.

But they don't make money by doing that. They make money by selling the info you do give them, so if they can't get data on 12-year olds, they're not interested in letting you sign up.

And that is an incredibly selfish thing to do for a company that makes 8 figure profits, so I'm not exactly too interested on whether or not the child enters fake info.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Actually I read it....
the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act is still the reason, no matter what your opinion.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:

And that is an incredibly selfish thing to do for a company that makes 8 figure profits, so I'm not exactly too interested on whether or not the child enters fake info.
LOL

Companies exist to make a profit. They don't care that you think it's selfish.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
IMHO, when a parent lies and allows their child who is underage to use something that has an age requirement it "tells the child" that not only is it OK to lie but also OK to ignore "rules" that they dislike.

As a teacher I have seen a number of situations where the child, whose parents frequently break rules & ignore age requirements & do similar things, then decide that they don't have to follow rules that they dislike at school.

Many online things have age restrictions, in part, because the thinking and reasoning skills of younger teens is not as sophisticated as older teens and adults.

I remember once when our younger child, probably about 13, was using the computer (in our living room). I overheard her telling her 17 year old brother something like "I'm chatting with a really nice boy and he wants to meet me". Her brother went over and was reading the computer screen over her shoulder. He looked quite startled and then told her to sign off and to not chat/email/whatever with him again as he probably "wasn't a nice boy".

Later, my son told me that it was immediately clear to him that "something was off" with the "boy" and possibly he was even an adult posing as a boy in middle school (ie. the same age as our daughter). Our daughter was a bright, knowledgeable 13 year old and she, obviously, did not see any warning signs. I would imagine if she would have been actually 11 or 12, and lying about being 13 it would have been much harder to evaluate on-line situations.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-09-2015 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
LOL

Companies exist to make a profit. They don't care that you think it's selfish.

OK and that's why I don't think the mom should care if the kid puts in a fake birthday.

If they are going to be selfish, why should I care if the child is being selfish?

Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Actually I read it....
the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act is still the reason, no matter what your opinion.

Any company that says that is the reason is taking for granted that you know they would step over you in the street if you were having a heart attack if it meant they would make more money.

And that attitude does not lead me to consider their point of view over my child's.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
My advise is be their parent not their friend.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, when a parent lies and allows their child who is underage to use something that has an age requirement it "tells the child" that not only is it OK to lie but also OK to ignore "rules" that they dislike.

As a teacher I have seen a number of situations where the child, whose parents frequently break rules & ignore age requirements & do similar things, then decide that they don't have to follow rules that they dislike at school.

Many online things have age restrictions, in part, because the thinking and reasoning skills of younger teens is not as sophisticated as older teens and adults.

I remember once when our younger child, probably about 13, was using the computer (in our living room). I overheard her telling her 17 year old brother something like "I'm chatting with a really nice boy and he wants to meet me". He went over and was reading the computer screen over her shoulder. He looked quite startled and then told her to sign off and to not chat/email/whatever with him again as he probably "wasn't a nice boy".

Later, my son told me that it was immediately clear to him that "something was off" with the "boy" and possibly he was even an adult posing as a boy in middle school. Our daughter was a bright, knowledgeable 13 year old and she, obviously, did not see any warning signs. I would imagine if she would have been actually 11 or 12, and lying about being 13 it would have been much harder to evaluate on-line situations.
I would be more open to that point of view if adults were truthful in all other situations.

But then when a girl asks a boy if her dress looks nice and it looks terrible, adults say the boy should lie to not hurt the girl's feelings.

But we shouldn't lie because we can't let the child use the service because the company can't make money off them? No, we're not going to do that.

And it is OK to ignore rules you dislike if you pay the consequences. So in this case, if they caught the kid being only 12, he might get his account banned. If he's willing to take that chance, that should be his choice.

And if you claim he shouldn't use the service because he is 13, do you ban your children from watching PG-13 movies until they're 13?

And just because something bad could happen doesn't mean no one should use it.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
I would be more open to that point of view if adults were truthful in all other situations.

But then when a girl asks a boy if her dress looks nice and it looks terrible, adults say the boy should lie to not hurt the girl's feelings.

But we shouldn't lie because we can't let the child use the service because the company can't make money off them? No, we're not going to do that.

And it is OK to ignore rules you dislike if you pay the consequences. So in this case, if they caught the kid being only 12, he might get his account banned. If he's willing to take that chance, that should be his choice.

And if you claim he shouldn't use the service because he is 13, do you ban your children from watching PG-13 movies until they're 13?

And just because something bad could happen doesn't mean no one should use it.
You do understand that movie ratings are not TOS right?

Ratings are provided to provide information to the viewer (or in this case the viewer's parents).

Terms of Service are rules set by the provider which a user agrees to as a condition of using a particular service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting