Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 01:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Back to the OP's question, my kids are now young adults and seem to be fine people--not self-centered, etc. It would have been very easy for us to give them everything they wanted and raise a couple of spoiled entitled people.

We didn't want that of course. We consistently tried to make a connection between their actions and rewards. Getting to pick out a piece of candy at the grocery was because they behaved in the store. A parent paid trip to Europe was because they each had done outstanding work in college and high school. Little things and big things were connected to behavior and actions.

During the age where they rarely thought about others, I tried to turn it around on them and talk about feelings. If they were mean to each other, I asked how they thought it made the other feel. Developmentally they were not necessarily ready to do so, but it did make them think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
I agree with most of the others, that 7 is young to be overly concerned. Sports, and some other group activities, can be great eye-opening experiences for kids who haven't felt the sting of realization that they aren't better than their peers.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM

123 posts, read 82,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
No....just no. I agree the OP is a bit much.....but this is pretty terrible advice. The oldest doesn't always get to choose what her siblings watch....having homework done first is what works for many families. You'd be surprised at lower elementary homework these days.....and many kids are natural dawdle-ers....especially if they don't feel they have much control over other things.

In pretty much every family that could only afford 1 TV growing up, the oldest sibling decided.

The order in which you do things doesn't affect the ability to complete both tasks, so you can easily watch the movie first.

We're talking about a 7-year old, who can't be higher than 2nd grade. I'm sure the most she gets a night is 2 hours.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Why are you smacking yourself?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
This may seem old fashioned and maybe not something you care to do.

We took our kids to religious services every week and they were involved with scouts. They learned to respect others, work on projects to help others, be responsible, make good decisions, look at the big picture, be patient, recognize right and wrong, and learned useful skills.

I had a friend who was one of the top money people in San Francisco who used the Thanksgiving holiday to insist her kids go to a shelter to help feed the homeless.

That's so stupid. Homeless people create their own problems that make them that way.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energy2 View Post
In pretty much every family that could only afford 1 TV growing up, the oldest sibling decided.

The order in which you do things doesn't affect the ability to complete both tasks, so you can easily watch the movie first.

We're talking about a 7-year old, who can't be higher than 2nd grade. I'm sure the most she gets a night is 2 hours.
Gee, really? I was one of 7 kids. The oldest didn't make the rules, our parents did. Those rules included homework before tv, because I don't know too many rational families that allow children to dictate what and when they were going to do what had to be done. And, we all got turns at picking the tv program.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Now you are just trolling.

If you disagree, you could at least explain why instead of resorting to name-calling.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Gee, really? I was one of 7 kids. The oldest didn't make the rules, our parents did. Those rules included homework before tv, because I don't know too many rational families that allow children to dictate what and when they were going to do what had to be done. And, we all got turns at picking the tv program.

In the original post, the kids were arguing on who got to pick the movie. The parents are not in that example.

The oldest kid is the oldest of the people involved.

When you're older, you can't do homework before tv because you have too many hours, but 2nd graders homework is just finish a page of math problems.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tujuleez1 View Post
Pay close attention to how you react to their protests, whining, tantrums, etc. If you find their displeasure with certain things causes a reaction in you that wants to do something to make things better for them, and you do so, you are contributing to making them feel entitled and that their happiness comes before everything else.

It's hard. As parents we want to make our children happy. But we have to be careful what message that sends. When you give a child something, the next time you have to outdo the last gift if you want to see joy from your child. Don't get caught in that trap. The more you make them earn what they get, the more they will work to get something better.

A child's happiness DOES come before everything.

The bolded part is only true for birthday parties.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
His whole posting history is a tribute to Edgar.

What are you talking about?

That makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting