Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Because the male case worker was the biggest problem she has.....said no one ever.
That is why the mom uploaded the video in the first place. She was so angry that DSS sent a male case worker to take pics of her daughter. She even went on local TV about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:11 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
50 years ago, you could beat the snot out of your kids no said a thing about it. It was not unusual for kids to show up to school with bruises, black eyes, whip marks, and broken arms and wrists. One classmate's father knocked her front teeth out and no one said a thing about it.

I for one am glad that Children Services stands up for kids. I wish they had been around when I was growing up.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
50 years ago, you could beat the snot out of your kids no said a thing about it. It was not unusual for kids to show up to school with bruises, black eyes, whip marks, and broken arms and wrists. One classmate's father knocked her front teeth out and no one said a thing about it.

I for one am glad that Children Services stands up for kids. I wish they had been around when I was growing up.
And if stuff like that happened then yes they would be needed. However there are plenty of times im sure where they overstep their bounds and interfere where theyre both not wanted nor needed.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:39 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
You are joking, no one beats their kid with good intentions. It would be illegal to do so in the UK.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:13 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
none of us know the situation maybe the mother thought she was out of options ..yeah it is always better to put the kid in foster care huh ? give me a break this mother was doing what she thought best on how to discipline her daughter , no one s business but hers .

Oh, allow me:

You say "put the kid in foster care, huh?" as if that's a bad option. Newsflash: IMO, they should pull kids out of homes where they're beaten, where mom is "pulling a check" for kids supposedly going to school hungry, where the mom and "uncles" are crackheads--you name it. And they should bring back orphanages, too.

As far as this mother's beating the krap out of a child being no one's business but her own, you've gotta be kidding me.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:20 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Fortunately, it is against the law to beat a child. I don't care what the mother felt her options were, she was wrong. And it is our business, because the child is 10 yrs old. Somebody failed her, quite possibly several people. There is no good reason to perpetuate the abuse.
I think it depends on the state.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:35 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times

Actually, since most black Americans are from the south, originally, Southerners are in favor of spanking as a region.

Southerners Spank Their Kids More Parents Families.com

Old 10-18-2015, 10:31 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Actually, since most black Americans are from the south, originally, Southerners are in favor of spanking as a region.

Southerners Spank Their Kids More Parents Families.com

You reference a website subtitled "frugal living for the whole family." Not quite in same category as BBC or CNN, but close.

It mentions a study but doesn't name it or provide a link to it, then goes on to say, "Sixty-two percent of folks, who live below the Mason-Dixon Line, admit to slapping their kids on their backsides when they don’t mind their manners."

Check the stats on the BBC and CNN articles. As I recall in was way above 80%.

If spanking your kids worked so well, why all the problems with black children misbehaving in school, in the community?

You can carry on about racism and prejudice and no doubt that is involved. But at the end of the day, it is impossible to look at the stats and conclude that spankings result in well behaved kids because it just doesn't.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:00 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
You reference a website subtitled "frugal living for the whole family." Not quite in same category as BBC or CNN, but close.

It mentions a study but doesn't name it or provide a link to it, then goes on to say, "Sixty-two percent of folks, who live below the Mason-Dixon Line, admit to slapping their kids on their backsides when they don’t mind their manners."

If spanking your kids worked so well, why all the problems with black children misbehaving in school, in the community?
How do you translate 62% of people below the Mason-Dixon line into blacks? You DO realize that blacks are not the only ones living there, right? In fact, they are the minority.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:12 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Quote:

You can carry on about racism and prejudice and no doubt that is involved. But at the end of the day, it is impossible to look at the stats and conclude that spankings result in well behaved kids because it just doesn't.

Like this one better? I grabbed the first one I could. There were so many. Didn't know where to start.
Regional diffs in attitudes toward spanking | Clif Flynn - Academia.edu

What Southerners can spanking, usually involves a belt or switch. And my observation is that it's not three smacks with an open and over a pair of jeans.

I would not blame blacks. Blame who owned them because that's where they learned it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting