Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

BTW, we never allowed our children to have locks on their bedroom doors. We respected their privacy and always knocked and asked permission before we went inside, but we the parents own the house (or pay the rent) so every room in the house belongs to us.

A locked door can make it very tempting for a child to use drugs or drink or cut or do other things that need a large amount of privacy.

What privacy did a 7 year old child need that you allowed her to lock herself in her room for hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
I agree with others here, BOTH parent and child need professional help.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyoneisinnocent View Post
I'm the mother of a 13 year old daughter she always locks herself in her room she's always done this since she was 7 she doesn't go out, she goes to school gets all A's then goes straight to her room, and when she does come out she's distant and detached when I ask her about it she says she's fine, but before when she was about 11 she went up to me and said she couldn't do it anymore and broke down crying I just thought she was just having a bad day but still I said don't be so dramatic. She just got up and went to her room, she pretended it didn't happen but doesn't come out as much. Her older sister is really into drugs and a few weeks ago when she was at school she stole her xbox when no one was home and when she found out her sister who's 24 came in my 13 year old lost it she didn't say anything but lept on her and tried to strangle her, she just kept screaming I hate you, she was shaking violently but suddenly got up and went up to her room and refused to talk since she rarely eats or leaves her room, I don't know what to do anymore I take her to a therapist but it doesn't help, what should I do?
Why is there a drug addict in your home?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
BTW, we never allowed our children to have locks on their bedroom doors. We respected their privacy and always knocked and asked permission before we went inside, but we the parents own the house (or pay the rent) so every room in the house belongs to us.

A locked door can make it very tempting for a child to use drugs or drink or cut or do other things that need a large amount of privacy.

What privacy did a 7 year old child need that you allowed her to lock herself in her room for hours?
It may mean that the poster didn't mean there was a physical lock on the door....just that the child hides in her room all the time. Or if there is a lock....it could be keept her stuff safe from thieving older siblings.

Now that I think about it...our doors have had locks....but no one has ever used them.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:36 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
You allow a 24 year old with a drug problem into your house?? That's crazy...

Old 10-18-2015, 12:20 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
OP, if you're still around, follow the advice here regarding a therapist. I think your post gives us a clue as to why the older child turned to drugs.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Change your entry locks on your house. Meet the druggie off your property if you still want to maintain contact. YOU are enabling the druggie.

Take the bedroom door off your 13 year old's room if she locks it again.

YOU establish the rules in your home. There has never been any tough love in your home, but it may not be too late.

The 13 year old could be the most sane person in the household.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
There may or may not be something wrong with your child, but there is definitely something wrong with a parent that allows a child to isolate herself for years, allows a drug addicted child into the house, and is more concerned that something is wrong with the kids, rather than the parent.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Change your entry locks on your house. Meet the druggie off your property if you still want to maintain contact. YOU are enabling the druggie.

Take the bedroom door off your 13 year old's room if she locks it again.

YOU establish the rules in your home. There has never been any tough love in your home, but it may not be too late.

The 13 year old could be the most sane person in the household.
You don't have to take the bedroom door off to prevent her from locking it. You can turn the doorknob around so it can't be locked from the inside or just take the doorknob off completely. That way she can still close her door and have privacy, but she cannot lock you out.

Of course, we have also dealt with the locking doors with an autistic child and we can unlock the door with a small screwdriver as well.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
Autistic or super depressed, or both. And if it does turn out that she is Autistic,[ or have questions about it] please do not be afraid. Daryl Hannah, Dan Akroyd, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates [ well, he keeps starting to open the closet but then slams it shut] Probably both Einstein and Tesla, Mother teresa and probably a few of our best artists, authors and presidents are/were Autistiic. Check out the Entire World theory and the new book out on neurodivergence. Please feel free to send a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting