Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

Everyone is going to be uncomfortable at 104 temp though. And there are many other times a kid needs Tylenol/ibuprofen . I like the old school idea. Smash a Tylenol or ibuprofen and mix it with a bite of apple sauce it yogurt. My brother had to take a daily medicine and he got a spoon full of icecream every single day. I was so jealous lol.

You can easily Google the dosage for kids, or call your pediatrician's nurse. Make sure not to get extended relief type pills. And never ever ever aspirin (I'm sure you know that but just throwing it in).

Tylenol or ibuprofen only bring down a fever 1-2 degrees. Kids can ride out higher fevers then adults. I remember one time my baby had a 105.6 temp (tympanic) and the doctor wasn't even worried. I expected to have him taken to the hospital, I was terrified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:04 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I could not swallow pills until I was almost 30 years old. To this day, it often takes me a couple of attempts. DH laughs at me and says I look like a pelican trying to swallow a fish.

I remember being a college freshman and my Mother and I were at the pharmacy getting a prescription and the pharmacist asked her "How old is your little girl?" and my Mom pointed at me and said in a loud voice "She's 19, that's her over there". I was mortified (which is what my Mom was going for, I'm sure).

It's good that the clear fever reducers are now an option. Not only because of the dyes, but as a PP said, if the kid is sick and there is vomiting involved, it just adds insult to injury. I also agree with other PP's who say we don't need to focus so much on making medicines taste good. If anything, I would think that medicines with a less than desirable taste would be an added layer of patient safety to deter young children from consuming them.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Everyone is going to be uncomfortable at 104 temp though. And there are many other times a kid needs Tylenol/ibuprofen .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I know, when my kids were little we were supposed to treat the fever. Now they say the fever is the body's natural way of fighting off the cold or virus and we should let it be, if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
You really shouldn't treat a fever unless your child is uncomfortable. There is no need to wake a child to treat their fever either. If they are sleeping, they feel okay and you should just let them sleep.
For the most part, I let the fevers fight the virus. I never give anything until at least 101, and sometimes wait until 102. Once it gets that high, I treat because we are a "subnormal" family and usually hang out in the low to mid 97's. Because of that, 101 and 102 to us is like someone else up at 102.5-103.5.

Each night I checked him, I felt the need to give him something because of the 103.7 and the 104 the next night. That's high! And yes, he's sleeping, but I also want to ensure he wakes up. I don't want the fever to get too high where he might not wake up from heating his brain too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting