Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times

Advertisements

Meh. Who cares? The pre-teen will soon want privacy and will move into another room. This is such a non-issue. There are other places in the home for "intimate time." We coslept until our kids were... I don't even know. My daughter moved out of our room before my son did... maybe she was 3ish and he was 7 or 8? Families all over the world cosleep in different configurations. Mammals generally do not sleep alone. God forbid these kids feel loved and snuggled at night. How terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:35 PM

162 posts, read 203,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Meh. Who cares? The pre-teen will soon want privacy and will move into another room. This is such a non-issue. There are other places in the home for "intimate time." We coslept until our kids were... I don't even know. My daughter moved out of our room before my son did... maybe she was 3ish and he was 7 or 8? Families all over the world cosleep in different configurations. Mammals generally do not sleep alone. God forbid these kids feel loved and snuggled at night. How terrible.
They co-sleep in other countries because they have no other option. Living in a 100 sqft one room shack doesn't afford you the option of multiple separate bedrooms.

This is the exact reason why 20 and 30 year old adults these days never grow up and leave their parent's house.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:52 PM

No, they cosleep in other countries because it's part of the culture. Many, many people, even here in the USA, have done the "family bed." The "everyone in separate rooms" thing is a recent invention. Humans have survived, thrived and procreated for many, many years, despite not everyone having separate sleeping quarters.

I don't know that I've ever heard a story about someone in their 20s or 30s cosleeping with their parents. By then, they're usually cosleeping with a romantic partner.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:20 PM

162 posts, read 203,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
No, they cosleep in other countries because it's part of the culture. Many, many people, even here in the USA, have done the "family bed." The "everyone in separate rooms" thing is a recent invention. Humans have survived, thrived and procreated for many, many years, despite not everyone having separate sleeping quarters.

I don't know that I've ever heard a story about someone in their 20s or 30s cosleeping with their parents. By then, they're usually cosleeping with a romantic partner.
Yes, co-sleeping up to a certain "appropriate" age within societal norms.

There is a limit in other cultures were it is not normal for children in there teens to be bed sharing with their parents. Even in Indian culture were this is standard practice they limit it from 3-10 years old.

As far as the 20 or 30 year old example this is referring to them never detaching themselves from their parents and being independent on their own free will. This is attributed to the fact that this co-sleeping situation well into the childhood and teens fosters an environment in which they develop a dependence mentality well into adulthood.

You cut the umbilical cord at birth... Your job as a parent is to make your child less and less dependent on you through the years. Anything different is just selfishness on the parents part.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:21 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
It seems to me that the father of the household has absolutely no balls.
Well, gee whiz, howdaya think he conceived all them kids then???

Old 10-20-2015, 10:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susman View Post
There is a limit in other cultures were it is not normal for children in there teens to be bed sharing with their parents. Even in Indian culture were this is standard practice they limit it from 3-10 years old.
The 7 and 9 year old are in different beds. The toddler has his own mattress and the 11 year old also has his own mattress in a curtained off area. Its really only the baby that is actually sharing a bed with the parents.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
It's not something I would choose, but I don't see much wrong with it if nothing is otherwise impaired (kids are too clingy, parents never get alone time, etc.). It's not for us because one kid snores and another kicks off the covers. He also used to grind his teeth and I HATE that. Absolutely cannot stand it. Thank goodness he doesn't do that anymore. I had to work till very late at night last week, and he had fallen asleep in my bed with his dad, watching TV. I was too beat to drag him to his room, so I climbed in with them and we slept fine. (Minimal kicking off of covers.) He's 11.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:53 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
This family has some serious issues. None of the children could sleep on their own before this? Including the 11 year old? They are a therapist's dream come true....or nightmare.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:06 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
So, they had issues with their kids coming to their bed and wandering the house. I think I would address that in other ways. Also, it sounds like she was having problems since she was nursing a baby while having to take care of a child with disabilities. "The Old Woman In The Shoe" comes to mind.

She basically put her life out there on the internet and then is surprised that people looked at it and I am sure it passed around like a hot potato. Hopefully, other parents and children will understand the "situation" since kids can be really cruel as can parents when it comes to "different". Would you want your child to spend the night there? Of course, no child would ever make fun of a child that is 7 years old sleeping in the same room with their parents and siblings.

If it wasn't a big deal, it wouldn't have gotten so many hits. I think this "approach" rather than solving the real issues of the children coming to their bed, wandering the house and having more children than they could really handle will come back to bite them in the butt.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM

It's not a big deal; it's just part of the mommy wars. People have nothing better to do than worry where children they don't even know are sleeping in home where they're loved and cared for. I'd be much more concerned about babies/toddlers being left to scream and cry in the dark all alone, but somehow, that's more acceptable than parents sleeping with their children the way all mammals do. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting