Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
It's part of growing up, if a kid is scared to get their drivers license, this is obviously the result of helicopter parenting
I have to disagree. Some kids realize that it is a big responsibility and don't want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 05:56 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
It's another term for over protectiveness.
OK. Guilty of that.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 AM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I have to disagree. Some kids realize that it is a big responsibility and don't want it.
If they can't handle driving, they are ill prepared to handle any other adult responsibility...

I'm betting all these kids who don't want to drive were breast fed until age 5 and have uber protective mothers, are socially maladjusted, etc

Old 10-29-2015, 08:33 AM

273 posts, read 201,290 times
Meh. It's OK for your son to wait until he's 18. In my state, you have to take special courses/preparations if you want to get your licence as a minor.

Another thing I've noticed: girls tend to want the license more than guys do at age 16. Probably because girls go out and do stuff more than guys do, so it's not surprising. My brother didn't get his until the summer after he graduated high school just for the fact that it was easier to obtain as a legal adult.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:47 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
It's also a big responsibility getting good grades, going to college, moving out on your own, etc....most of these things mean even better things in the future...unless you live (and will ALWAYS live) in a highly urban area, a driver's license is a marketable skill and encourages further maturity - kinda like being on a team sport. Sure, you may not ever be a "professional" driver, but it helps with other things.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
If they can't handle driving, they are ill prepared to handle any other adult responsibility...

I'm betting all these kids who don't want to drive were breast fed until age 5 and have uber protective mothers, are socially maladjusted, etc
I was more worried about my grades and being young. I didn't want to drive because I knew I would have to pay for my own gas, my own insurance etc. I was more into saving my money and doing thing with my friends.

While I understand the responsibility that driving is and how it goes into daily life, there is nothing wrong with waiting.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
OK. Guilty of that.
I hope not if you are a parent of teens.

Some examples of real helicopter parenting:

Quote:
One IEP meeting for a high school student, the mother mentioned her other kid was enrolled at a local university, and that she (the mother) was also enrolling in the same classes to ensure her daughter did her work.â€

“I had a girl come in for a job interview with her mom… I had my supervisor do the full interview with the girl while I talked to the mother. I told the mom straight ‘you are ruining your daughters chances at getting hired at any job,’ she got offended and I clarified ‘if your daughter can’t show up to work without her parent making her, it doesn’t make her look like a reliable employee.’â€
More examples:
Do 'Helicopter Moms' Do More Harm Than Good? - ABC News

3 Mistakes 'Helicopter Parents' Make That Prevent Their Children From Growing Up*|*Michael S. Broder, Ph.D.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
He will be 17 come Jan.
He doesn't seem at all interested in getting his license. All his friends and even girlfriend have their license now. I have talked to him about it and he just says,"I am not ready."
We have taken him out to practice driving a few times, and he seems to do fine, but is this normal for a teenager? Everyone will ask me "does he have his license yet?

If I force him to do it, what if he got into an accident? I would feel horrible!
We talked yesterday about this, and he said he will study the pretest online so he can take his permit, but he will have to wait 6 months after the permit to get his license.
He does not want to take drivers ED in school. Also, he has studied for his pretest online before, but that's as far as it gets. Advice? Words of wisdom?

The kid doesn't want to drive. Why push it? Sounds like he has a decent sense of self-awareness and if someone doesn't feel like they are ready, they usually aren't. Forget it being a "rite of passage" and a "sign of impending adulthood". If he's doing fine in school, seems socially adept and is otherwise cruisin' along -- then stop pushing it. Apparently he doesn't feel the need to prove anything -- and god knows, he's probably a bit safer (although riding with his friends is probably a bit dicey.) When he's ready, he'll get it. And stop making excuses to your friends about it. It's none of their business. Just smile and say, "He'll get it when he's ready."

My nephew took a long time to get his license, and said, flat out, that one of the reasons was because he was afraid he would get sucked into being a taxi for his younger siblings and lose his free time.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:

Uh...

I managed to graduate from undergrad and grad school, work full-time, move out, buy an apartment and get married all before I learned how to drive. Go to NYC and see how many people never learn to drive---it has nothing to do with what you are saying.

I thought you were joking at first because I do not have helicopter parents AT ALL. They couldn't care less what I did with my life as long as I got out on my own and did my own thing. Considering my dad used to bring me to the bar when I was a kid so he could drink, I wouldn't exactly call them overprotective.

My reason for not learning how to drive was because I have a lot of anxiety and had almost no interest at the time. Because I didn't need to drive (I walked or took public transit everywhere) there was no reason for me to learn. I walked everywhere and took the train everywhere on my own---you don't need to depend on others to do that. I got my license at twenty-seven and now I drive almost everyday.

But you're right I wasn't able to handle any other adult responsibilities before I got my license. How ever did I figure out how to pay my bills...

Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 AM

769 posts, read 829,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Uh...

I managed to graduate from undergrad and grad school, work full-time, move out, buy an apartment and get married all before I learned how to drive. Go to NYC and see how many people never learn to drive---it has nothing to do with what you are saying.
So for the 99% of the rest of the country that DOESNT live in New York City, and actually NEEDS a car and drivers license to function, your little rant is meaningless and not valid...

Quote:
I thought you were joking at first because I do not have helicopter parents AT ALL. They couldn't care less what I did with my life as long as I got out on my own and did my own thing. Considering my dad used to bring me to the bar when I was a kid so he could drink, I wouldn't exactly call them overprotective.

Surprising, if true

Quote:
My reason for not learning how to drive was because I have a lot of anxiety and had almost no interest at the time. Because I didn't need to drive (I walked or took public transit everywhere) there was no reason for me to learn. I walked everywhere and took the train everywhere on my own---you don't need to depend on others to do that. I got my license at twenty-seven and now I drive almost everyday.

But you're right I wasn't able to handle any other adult responsibilities before I got my license. How ever did I figure out how to pay my bills...
Again, you live somewhere that this is possible. Move out of your little "NYC microchosm" and you will quickly find yourself completely unable to function...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting