Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
From strictly a logistics point of view, I seriously doubt that both her boobs werer out. Why? Because any nursing would be very uncomfortable running around without a nursing bra on, and those have clips so you only open one side at a time. You mean to tell me that this woman undid her entire bra just to create drama? I seriously doubt that.
She was not wearing a bra. Doubt it all you like -- there were a lot of times when I was nursing that I didn't wear one either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Well, the nursing bras I've just bought have separate clips so you CAN unclip both sides at the same time.

Also, I was on a flight one time when a 4 yr old, conversing with me, told me she was going to have a snack. She turned away, lifted her mother's shirt & started to suckle. Mom was bra-less so I guess you don't necessarily have to wear a nursing bra. I just about died because the little girl would stop every little bit to talk to me. Mom just kept reading her book. It was rather bizarre.

I have no problem with discreet public nursing but I AM uncomfortable when a mom will just whip out her boob, with prolonged exposure to everyone but baby's mouth. One of our friends does that ALL the time and it's just uncomfortable for the rest of us. Her DH hates that she does this and she gets super defensive about the rest of society being squeamish. I mean - I get feeding your baby, really, I do! But why sit there with your breast hanging out for everyone to see when you're not quite ready to start nursing?

Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I'm a mother of two. I don't mind when it's done discreetly, as I have seen done. But I have also seen it done when they don't cover up, and think that the baby's little mouth is all that is needed. Hello, as I said, I am a mother of two. i don't need my 7 year old and 12 year old to watch that and actually view a boob without a nipple (in the mouth). No thank you.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I have seen a few woman who purposely flop a breast out in plain view by "'accident" while breast feeding. They have problems and are looking for attention any way they can get it. At least that is the problem of the one lady that I know personally whom I have seen do this. She looks around to make sure some people will notice and then . . "ooops!" I ahve seen it once or twice from others that I do not know, but I assume that it is the same reason. as others pointed out, I do not see how that can happen by mistake.

However, aside from a few people with mental illness to some degree, I doubt that it happens often. Most women are pretty discrete about breast feeding. I do see 12 year old boys watching carefully hoping for a show at times, but that is a 12 year old boy.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:34 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post

I have no problem with discreet public nursing but I AM uncomfortable when a mom will just whip out her boob, with prolonged exposure to everyone but baby's mouth. One of our friends does that ALL the time and it's just uncomfortable for the rest of us. Her DH hates that she does this and she gets super defensive about the rest of society being squeamish. I mean - I get feeding your baby, really, I do! But why sit there with your breast hanging out for everyone to see when you're not quite ready to start nursing?
I don't get people like that. My in-laws were very comfortable around me nursing as my MIL and SIL nursed, but I am the only one in my family who ever nursed. I may be comfortable with it, but I couldn't imagine forcing the proof that I've actually developed boobs on my poor father. LOL. I've never seen that man move as fast as he did when he left my hospital room when I had to feed my daughter. LOL.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
our nation is too boob sensitive..

Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
our nation is too boob sensitive..
I agree, but as long as we're going to sexualize them, that's what's gonna happen.

I also think 4 years old is a little too old to be nursing (referring to the post above). IMHO, if they can ask for a cup, then we're done. Sometimes I think BFing after a certain age is only for the mom's mental benefit, not the child's health...but I realize it's a touchy subject...

Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I agree, but as long as we're going to sexualize them, that's what's gonna happen.

I also think 4 years old is a little too old to be nursing (referring to the post above). IMHO, if they can ask for a cup, then we're done. Sometimes I think BFing after a certain age is only for the mom's mental benefit, not the child's health...but I realize it's a touchy subject...
Have you ever tried to FORCE a 4 y/o to do anything, especially sit/lie there and nurse if he/she did not want to? Please explain to me how BFing until self-weaning is for the mom's mental benefit? The only benefit is knowing that your child has an enhanced immune system and is still receiving miraculous antibodies because he or she is continuing to nurse and that mom and the child have an AMAZING bond that just cannot be duplicated. Trust me, many moms who nurse for an extended period of time are eager to be done but allow their children to continue until they are ready to wean in their own time. It is a sacrifice for many moms - it certainly is for me but I do what is best for my children no matter what.

The vast majority of older nursers are nursing only a few times a day and not in public, so this is normally a private matter between mother and child. The only thing I dread about my current toddler weaning is the sicknesses she will be getting more of once she stops - it is amazing how much the BFing helps that.

Here is a piece on the natural age of weaning:
A Natural Age of Weaning

Old 02-02-2008, 10:52 AM

440 posts, read 329,209 times
Wow, I'm still reeling at the idea that a huge 4 y/o with a mouth full of teeth would still be breast feeding. I mean this is a person who speaks in full sentences, walks, can probably dress themselves, write their name and say all of their alphabet and may even be in school half a day. My son was potty trained, out of diapers and off the bottle at 11 months. He was also in daycare a full day, reading, adding and subtracting at the age of 4.

While my opinion may not be popular, I would think once a child had teeth, the breastfeeding should end. IMHO after that the mother is the one who has issues.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,968,861 times
I nursed all my babies and never had a problem with it in public. I did get a few looks, but it didn't really bother me. I started out nursing in the bathrooms, but most of them were dirty and smelly, so it didn't take long for me to become proficient at nursing wherever I was. That being said, I was always discrete whether I had a blanket or not.
I currently live near Lexington,Ky where an Applebee's recently banned a woman for breastfeeding. There was then a big protest that I was at for a short period of time. It went very smoothly, no one walked around exposed.And it drew some attention to the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting