Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,595,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
A tablespoon of colorful M&Ms in a little cup. Don't listen to the published "experts." Bribery is good.
LMAO!! So true! Later, if you throw one in the potty boys will try and hit it. I used this to improve aim with my boy. Worked great! Before that I'd get a "wet seat" surprise every other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,757,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
This is what happens when you potty train a kid who is not 100% ready. IF they are really ready, it shouldn't be hard. It takes about three consistent days of reminders and work, but it should not be a fight and it shouldn't take months or even weeks.
Oh right I completely forgot that all kids are exactly alike, and what works for one kid will work for all other kids, 100%. There's no such thing as a kid who needs to take things a little slower than most. Oh, and the most important thing of all - if what worked for most kids isn't working for your kid, it's obviously only because the parent is doing it completely wrong.

OP, don't listen to this silliness please.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM

50,325 posts, read 63,881,443 times
So, for what it is worth, on Saturday we had breakfast with a young family with a 20 month old baby girl (first born, only child). The baby is toilet trained. Seriously, she asked to go potty twice during breakfast.
She is a very smart, verbal baby (100+ words), and her mother is all over her like white on rice, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Her mother says that she was just ready, and if she wasn't, the mother wouldn't have pushed it. I don't really know many more details than that, but I believe this is the youngest I've heard of a baby being potty trained.
It makes me think I way underestimated my kids.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:13 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,369,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two is very young for a boy to "get it". Just keep at it. Some boys do not get trained until they're 4.
Yep..I swore my eldest was going to be going to school still wearing diapers...LOL ..Amazing #2 son caught on much quicker..So but still 2 is too young..unless and of course YOU are trained to take said toddler to potty ever 30 minutes..which isn't feasible..

Another thing I learned back in the day..is never SHAME..but encourage..and ask simple questions..but until these kids Recognize the signs of queue's by one's body//NOTHING will ever force the issue...Patience is the name of the game!!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, for what it is worth, on Saturday we had breakfast with a young family with a 20 month old baby girl (first born, only child). The baby is toilet trained. Seriously, she asked to go potty twice during breakfast.
She is a very smart, verbal baby (100+ words), and her mother is all over her like white on rice, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Her mother says that she was just ready, and if she wasn't, the mother wouldn't have pushed it. I don't really know many more details than that, but I believe this is the youngest I've heard of a baby being potty trained.
It makes me think I way underestimated my kids.
Like I said earlier in the thread, I trained my youngest son starting at 18 months. It just takes observation and confidence. That's why those "signs of readiness" are important. I clued in when I noticed he was going behind the same chair at the same time (after breakfast) every morning to poop in his diaper "in privacy." Once I saw that he was capable of making that distinction (about removing himself from the situation to relieve himself), I figured we'd try using the potty.

He had two older brothers who modeled the behavior as well. Training under 2 is entirely possible.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:41 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Oh right I completely forgot that all kids are exactly alike, and what works for one kid will work for all other kids, 100%. There's no such thing as a kid who needs to take things a little slower than most. Oh, and the most important thing of all - if what worked for most kids isn't working for your kid, it's obviously only because the parent is doing it completely wrong.

OP, don't listen to this silliness please.
never said that did I? But if the child is TRULY ready, it won't be a fight, there won't be any resistance. It'll happen fairly easily weather it takes a couple days or a couple weeks. A kid resisting, arguing, crying and holding it until they are infected is NOT ready and dragging the process out over months and months just to appease the parents isn't productive. You'd meet the same potty-trained timeline with a lot less headache if you just hold off altogether for 4-6 months and start when the child WANTS to and not when YOU want to.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:00 PM

50,325 posts, read 63,881,443 times
I just remembered another situation of a 3 year old boy who his mother despaired would ever be potty trained. His father travelled a lot and one weekend when he was home, he told his son, "We don't wear diapers anymore, Buddy", and that was it. Sometimes a kid will do the diaper thing until a parent lays down the law.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 AM

314 posts, read 236,931 times
My mom is/ was a nanny for a few toddlers and when potty training came, they were good with her from middle of the week to end and then restart on Monday. Parents used pul ups and didn't ask after a meal etc if they needed to go, so the kids just went in the diapers, some until 4 or 5. My mom always says shes amazed that in this day and age kids cant comprehend potty training, yet when I was a baby I was potty trained by 1 I believe? All we had was cloth diapers and my she had enough of washing. I have pics of being just over 1 and no cloth diapers or anything, go figure these days.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:34 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,309,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
LMAO!! So true! Later, if you throw one in the potty boys will try and hit it. I used this to improve aim with my boy. Worked great! Before that I'd get a "wet seat" surprise every other day.
I forgot about this, we actually used Cheerios for my sons.

Good luck op & as geantlearts has already said, it seems to me in some instances boys can take a bit longer. I had 3 much younger brothers as well, and yes...it was my job to potty train; among other duties.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:03 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,572,699 times
For us, pull ups never worked. What I basically did was get a toddler potty for her and left it in the family room where she can see it. I would point out to it now and then and tell her that it's to go pee-pee and poo-poo.
She decorated it with stickers (outside). About a week later. I took her diapers off and left her diaper free (I also took a few days off from work). After several accidents, one day she went pee on it all by herself. We made a big celebration out of it. I let her blow out a candle every time she went pee in it for a while.
There was no turning back from then.

Poo was a whole different issue as she suffers from constipation a lot; my situation and my method won't work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting