Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 PM

28 posts, read 40,608 times

Advertisements

The short answer is NO!! I tried to "sway" with my last child since I already had 2 boys and wanted a girl... I did a "perfect sway" and guess what??? I have another little boy. Not that I would trade him for the world!

I would think gender swaying works 50% of the time!! LOL Have fun trying!

That being said you can do IVF for gender selection but it's crazy expensive and obviously not 100% guaranteed that you will conceive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:39 PM

483 posts, read 655,217 times
I don't think its fair to jump on people who have a strong preference for one gender over the other.

Take me for instance. My great grandmother had an awful relation with my grandmother, who had an awful relationship with my own mother and *shocking* me and my mom barley get along. I do *not* want to continue that cycle. Not only that, but I'm a way better "boy mom" then girl mom, at least with the kids I teach.

If I could choose to spare myself and child that heartache, I would 100% choose to have a boy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love a daughter if that's what I was given of course, but I do have a strong preference.

Won't matter though, since me and DH plan to adopt a min-mild SN child in the coming years(we only want one kid and want to make a difference for a child)

Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMY624 View Post
The short answer is NO!! I tried to "sway" with my last child since I already had 2 boys and wanted a girl... I did a "perfect sway" and guess what??? I have another little boy. Not that I would trade him for the world!

That being said you can do IVF for gender selection but it's crazy expensive and obviously not 100% guaranteed that you will conceive.
I've heard that if you have two of the same gender in a row, you have a 67% of getting it the third time and after three it goes back to 50/50, so the odds were against you lol!!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:24 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
On a more sexual note, they say that a woman having an orgasm would mean the child she'll bear is more likely to be male. So don't let her climax, I guess.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:36 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times
I wanted a girl, and got two boys. I wanted a grandson, and got two grand daughters. I wouldn't change a thing, except I wish I could have had more grands.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Spend some time near really high frequency radios? [shrug] I hear military folks who do so often end up having more so girls than boys. However, there may be other issues to one's health that my NOT make this worth it, and I don't know if you can have easy access to these. These are many, many times more powerful then your typical radio.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:51 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Affirmations and intention. You DO have a choice. You just have to make it be known. Start saying what you're believing for. Write it down somewhere.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:23 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
I don't think its fair to jump on people who have a strong preference for one gender over the other.
I think it will effect the child if they get the opposite of what they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Affirmations and intention. You DO have a choice. You just have to make it be known. Start saying what you're believing for. Write it down somewhere.
I think one is better off just setting their mind to be happy with whatever they get.

I was the second girl, my father wanted a son. He spent a lot of years being disappointed that I was a girl.

So I decided early on that I would be happy with what ever I got.

I am happy with my three sons that are now grown. I still get that awful comment from people sometimes that say "don't you wish you had a girl". I graciously say no and say I am happy with my three sons and secretly have my thoughts boil that they would even say that. People would say that in front of my sons when they were growing up I don't know what is wrong with some people.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:48 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMY624 View Post

If you have two children of the same sex, I heard there's an 85% chance that the third will be the same sex.

Besides, if the OP really wants a girl, he'll have wished it the other way around after she hits adolescence.

J/K

Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
There is a theory that X sperm swim slower, but live longer and Y sperm swim faster, but die faster. So, if you want a girl, you have sex 4-5 days before ovulation so the Y's die off before the egg is released, if you want a boy, you have sex during or right after ovulation so the egg is fertilized before the X's can reach it. This is just a theory and it would take months or possibly a year of your wife tracking her cycles so she knows exactly when her fertile period begins and when she actually ovulates. If her cycles are even slightly irregular, this can be very difficult. (Honestly, I think your parents just got lucky.)

All that said, I promise if you have a boy you'll be just as happy. I always wanted three boys (not sure why), when my first arrived and I saw she was a girl, I didn't care at all, I just loved and wanted her so much. When my second came and he was a boy, I was a bit surprised and I thought "what do I do with a BOY!" We had been saying "she" and "her" for long it actually felt strange to say "he" and "him." When I was pregnant with my third people kept asking me if I wanted another girl or another boy and honestly, I didn't care either way. They are my children and I love everything about them (even the bad stuff!).
I have bred horses for over 40 years. I started out with Arabians. In that breed, fillies (girls) are always more valuable, so people would breed as far from ovulation as we could, to try and produce fillies. It was amazing how well it worked, some people had 100% success with this.

Now I breed Thoroughbreds, and really dont care one way or the other if I get a boy or girl. I checked my records last couple of years. Interestingly enough, I have bred my mares right on ovulation, due to nothing more than availability of the stallion, and I have had 80% boys. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting