Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times

Advertisements

Growing up I always preferred babysitting for boys, to the point where I figured I only wanted to be a parent to sons. I also had a volatile relationship with my mother, which swayed me against having girls.

However, our first child was a girl and I absolutely adore her and who she is becoming (she's 12 now). We are very, very close and our relationship is the complete opposite of the one I shared with my mother growing up.

I don't know your reasons for wanting a boy, but I agree with another poster who said that you'll be surprised at just how unconditional your love can be with ANY child you have - regardless of gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
My father had four healthy daughters. Being an Indian man, he was hoping for a son also. But after the fourth, he gave up, not because he didn't want another child, but because age was catching up with him. He was 50 when his youngest was born. However, I think he was happy with us. Although he wanted a son, he never indicated that he was unhappy with us girls.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I've heard that if you have two of the same gender in a row, you have a 67% of getting it the third time and after three it goes back to 50/50, so the odds were against you lol!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
If you have two children of the same sex, I heard there's an 85% chance that the third will be the same sex.
Just for the record, neither of these is true. Assuming all other factors (medical, etc.) to be the same, the chance of having a male child is just over 50% and a female child is just under 50%, with every birth. It makes no difference how many children of which gender a couple previously had.

How could it?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:26 PM

914 posts, read 1,136,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Just for the record, neither of these is true. Assuming all other factors (medical, etc.) to be the same, the chance of having a male child is just over 50% and a female child is just under 50%, with every birth. It makes no difference how many children of which gender a couple previously had.

How could it?
Tell that to the Osmond Family.

I think some men have more "male" sperm than other, but I could be wrong.

I'm just speculating, but in the end, the stupidest thing to worry about with an uborn child is gender. Unless you're Henry VIII, having a healthy baby is the most important thing.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My wife and I have been married for only a year and a half, so we're still a few years away from starting a family.

Honestly, I really want to have a girl. I'll love the baby no matter what the gender is, but my preference is for a girl.

My parents have told me that they took steps to increase the chances of my being male (which I am), including having sex when/when not ovulating, going on a certain diet (acidic/alkaline), etc.

Have any of you taken such steps and succeeded at getting your gender of choice?
Having sex when not ovulating will not increase the likelihood of getting one sex (gender is not the same thing btw) over the other.

If it is really that important to you a doctor can take a sperm sample, cetrifuge out the guys, and you can go for pregnancy that way.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelti12 View Post
I don't think its fair to jump on people who have a strong preference for one gender over the other.

Take me for instance. My great grandmother had an awful relation with my grandmother, who had an awful relationship with my own mother and *shocking* me and my mom barley get along. I do *not* want to continue that cycle. Not only that, but I'm a way better "boy mom" then girl mom, at least with the kids I teach.

If I could choose to spare myself and child that heartache, I would 100% choose to have a boy. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love a daughter if that's what I was given of course, but I do have a strong preference.

Won't matter though, since me and DH plan to adopt a min-mild SN child in the coming years(we only want one kid and want to make a difference for a child)
Re continuing cycles -

a lot of it isn't your choice

a lot of stuff, such as my fambly, craziness is in our DNA. Being a raving narcissist is in the male DNA, a raving self hater in the Female.

It is absolutely inherited and all the Best Intentions in the world cant change that.

My niece displays MY symptoms. That is, the symptoms I should've developed, developed in her instead. (self harm).

Bizarre - but she's always taken after me, strongly. We even get mistaken for each other in the street, 25 years difference in age seemingly makes no difference because we are just so much alike.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
If you have two children of the same sex, I heard there's an 85% chance that the third will be the same sex.

Besides, if the OP really wants a girl, he'll have wished it the other way around after she hits adolescence.

J/K
And if you flip a coin twice and get heads, there is a 85% chance the next one will be a heads....

Old 10-30-2015, 01:57 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My wife and I have been married for only a year and a half, so we're still a few years away from starting a family.

Honestly, I really want to have a girl. I'll love the baby no matter what the gender is, but my preference is for a girl.

My parents have told me that they took steps to increase the chances of my being male (which I am), including having sex when/when not ovulating, going on a certain diet (acidic/alkaline), etc.

Have any of you taken such steps and succeeded at getting your gender of choice?
Do not have a child until you are completely over the 'I want a girl" mindset. It is not fair to any yet to be conceived child to have the potential to be a disappointment from the moment of conception.

If you want a guaranteed way to choose the gender of your child, adopt.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:15 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
This isn't actually all voodoo science. I'm no expert but it's my understanding that the ph balance of the woman's vagina plays a part in determining which sperm survive in order to make it to the egg so perhaps it is possible to change the ph balance by eating certain types of food. For example, female sperm react better in an acidic environment and male sperm in a more alkaline environment so theoretically if a women wanted a female child she would eat a diet that would help create an acidic environment. In essence the male sperm (XY) would be weeded out giving the female sperm (XX) a better change to make it to the egg. It has nothing to do with changing the chromosomal make up of the sperm but more to do creating an environment that would benefit a particular sex.

erlovescookies is right. The late Landrum Shettles was a research physician, affiliated with Columbia University.

His theory works.

Babies conceived closer to the day of conception are more likely to be male. The sperm that carries the Y chromosome is fast, but short lived.

Babies conceived after and before ovulation - by several days - are more likely to be boys.

There are other things that can tip your odds - using the missionary position, favors the conception of a female.

Using a position where the male enters from the rear - a boy.

Totally anecdotal information but - babies born to mother's who have experienced infertility, are likely to be boys. Why? Parents who are trying to conceive, usually have sex on the day of ovulation to maximize their chances of conception. The children of fertility patients are planned.

Almost everyone I know (and I know many) who has had difficulty becoming pregnant has a son. Or a preponderance of sons. Adoption agencies are inundated with requests for baby girls from parents who already have one child. Why? That first child is usually a boy.

Babies born to couples who are not planning a child - unexpected pregnancies - are likely girls.

I was a member of a secondary infertility support group for several months. Out of 20 women who had difficulty conceiving their first baby - all of us had sons.
Those who continued to "try" to get pregnant and were successful, had second sons, and third.

Those of us who decided to adopt - adopted daughters.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Those of us who decided to adopt - adopted daughters.
one of the biggest problem with adoption rules. You and 80% of adoptive families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting