Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:27 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What parent, in their right mind, would want to act as a breeder for a government program?
Not exactly a government program, but certain Muslims and Ultra Orthodox Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:38 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
From a parent's point of view, what would be the point of having kids if you're just going to ship them off to an orphanage for someone else to raise? Most people have children because they want to have children, not because they want to prop up the government's social-welfare programs. The OP's plan would reduce parents to mere breeders and nothing else. Hardly an attractive prospect for most would-be parents.

Of course, there's a middle-ground approach, wherein kids are gathered together in group settings during the day, but then redistributed back to their parents at night and on the weekends. It's called "school."

Old 10-30-2015, 01:42 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous, naive, and uninformed posts I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of ridiculous posts.
I wouldn't go that far. The OP does not have children, and who knows, for all we know maybe his childhood was such that he would have preferred to have grown up in a group home. And certainly, his premise has appeared in enough works of fiction that it seems reasonable for someone to wonder what would happen if it were tried in real life.

I think we all agree that his idea would not work, or at least would be worse than how things are now. But I see no need to insult the OP. Just answer his question.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I wouldn't go that far. The OP does not have children, and who knows, for all we know maybe his childhood was such that he would have preferred to have grown up in a group home. And certainly, his premise has appeared in enough works of fiction that it seems reasonable for someone to wonder what would happen if it were tried in real life.

I think we all agree that his idea would not work, or at least would be worse than how things are now. But I see no need to insult the OP. Just answer his question.
Thank you.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:20 PM

188 posts, read 192,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Haha thanks for sticking up for me man.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Bad life experiences are often the birth of some really incredible new beginnings. This frankly bizarre post you've created, however, will not fix whatever happened to you. I'd suggest some therapy and church; worked for me.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
You mean a place like boarding schools? There are pluses and minuses to that system. The English middle and upper class probably have the longest experience as a culture with boarding schools.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-2274066.html

In the UK in 2010, 72,000 kids were boarded.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:14 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
So your idea is that it's okay to take kids away from people that do a great job at parenting to put them with some unknown strangers because some people are not good parents?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting