Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

My son (age 10, 4th grade) goes to a small private school where the grades are often mixed for many classes. We are new to the school and the state. Down the street is a 6th grader who has always seemed nice at school (I've seen him several times interacting with, and being friendly to my son). On our street there are only 3 boys in grade school, all 5th and 6th grade. And a bunch of toddlers.

My son has played with him several times in our neighborhood.

Tonight (Halloween) we run into him out with a group of kids, likely his age but not from the same school. My son runs up to him and says hi and asks him what he is. The boy walks away without even looking at him. He turns to his friends and says "awkward" and a few steps later "what a loser".

I know my son heard it because his shoulders slumped and he didn't want to trick or treat any more, but wouldn't say why. Although, once home, he was thrilled to give out candy to this boy and his group of friends.

I did email his teacher to let her know. I am friendly with her and she would never, ever let that dynamic occur in her class. I'm sure she would want to know to look out for it. No doubt in my mind. I gave her the heads up, and let her know I didn't expect any action on her part. And I don't.

But from here on. Do I let my son go play with this kid? Do I ignore what I heard? Do I discourage him from playing over ther (note: my son always goes over, he doesn't come here)?

Talking to the parents is out. After 5 months of living down the street, tonight is the first time I saw them, from a distance. They have an au pair more then full time.

Would go telling the kid off be an over reaction (ok, I know it would, but I want to).

What, if anything, do I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 10:09 PM

I'm also comfortable that the only thing my son really did wrong was be younger then these kids. He isn't perfect, but he is a great friend.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Let it go. I know it's hard. Kids fall in and out of friendships all the time, and by making any kind of an issue over it, you'll probably kill any chance of them being friends in the future.

I'd chalk it up to the boy playing "tough" in front of his other buddies. Just keep an eye open to see if there are any issues going forward.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Let it go. I know it's hard. Kids fall in and out of friendships all the time, and by making any kind of an issue over it, you'll probably kill any chance of them being friends in the future.

I'd chalk it up to the boy playing "tough" in front of his other buddies. Just keep an eye open to see if there are any issues going forward.
I agree, it's an older boy being a tough boy with his boy buddies. Does it make me a bad person that I wanted to punch him in the face, confront his parents and put a poop fire bag on his door step! None of which I would do...but I wanted to.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I agree, it's an older boy being a tough boy with his boy buddies. Does it make me a bad person that I wanted to punch him in the face, confront his parents and put a poop fire bag on his door step! None of which I would do...but I wanted to.
Nah, it ups your Mom cred!

Old 11-01-2015, 12:25 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I agree with Mattie, let it go. It often happens around that age, can't be seen dead talking to a younger kid, how embarrassing. I bet this kid will be just as friendly as ever and pretend the whole didn't happen when he sees your son next. I'd explain to your son that it wasn't anything personal, that it was the boy's issue.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:16 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know the feeling. But I agree with letting it go. Even though it was a hurtful moment to your son, he'll move on from it...but not if you blow it up into a big ordeal. It's surprising how kids can not like each other one day and be best buddies the next. They do a really good job of working out their own little problems, as long as adults stay out if it. The time to step in would be if it became persistent or bullying and really began affecting your son's life. One little slight is not going to break him.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:39 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Yes it hurts mom when other kids pick on their kids.

My experience is that kids will forgive and forget quicker than mom, and you will wonder why they are playing together the next day

Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 AM

You are all right. Kids do this, esp with an age difference. And 6th graders are all about looking cool. I likely would have acted the same way at that age. Still, momma bear wants to come out...but I have been emotional lately then normal. I just need to keep an eye on the situation to make sure actual bullying isn't going on.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I agree with everyone else - let it go, keep an eye on it. Also - talk to him about it - he may find himself in the same position as the other boy one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting