Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

My 3 kids were born in the 70s and were well behaved in restaurants, people even commented on how
well behaved they were....if someone had handed me, or them, a card with rules I would not have been
offended, in fact I would have been happy that, just maybe, others would make sure patrons could enjoy
a meal without rowdy kids too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 08:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
I support it. Regardless, a private business is allowed to do whatever it wants shy of discrimination or other illegal acts. This is not illegal. If people don't like it, they won't go. Those who live in the area will decide whether or not this was a good little policy to adopt.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:46 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No one is saying that. The complaint is when these behaviors happen ALL THE TIME and are never corrected by parents even when their children are obviously disruptive to other paying customers. I've had children leave their table and come over to my table and start banging on it or talking to me. Did I invite them? NO. I've been in restaurants where kids threw themselves on the floor in a tantrum and their parents ignored them. That's a far cry from forgetting to use their "inside voice."
I have to admit, I have the kid that always wants to talk to everyone she sees. I tell her to leave the people alone and let them enjoy their meal but they always say "oh no its fine" and have a conversation with her until I drag her away. If a random kid comes up to me at a restaurant to talk to me, I say hi, talk for a moment or so and then tell them gently to go back to their table. Works fine for me. I think for things like that a little give and take is the way to go, rather than just getting annoyed by someone who is still learning social skills.

Banging on the table? That's annoying, I'll give you that. Just gently tell them no (kids often listen to 'no' a lot better when it comes from a stranger) and if that doesn't work then complain to staff, or to the parents.

I have never seen kids throwing themselves on the floor in a tantrum with their parents ignoring them in a restaurant though. Clearly I go to the wrong kind of restaurants...

Old 11-16-2015, 04:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I haven't seen her insult families...since she likely has one herself even if it doesn't include children.

Do you think only a man/woman/child(ren) equals family ?
We are in the Parenting subforum. Use your imagination.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Restaurant owners property...Restaurant owner has the right to talk to ALL patrons and lay out the rules. Simple as that.
They need to talk to me, not my child.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:04 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
It's a sad reflection on society that a restaurant has to resort to this!
Exactly. Everyone will focus on the restaurant when, in reality, this is a manifestation of the lousy parenting that permeates society now. It's not "cute" when your child misbehaves and you will be judged for it.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Exactly. Everyone will focus on the restaurant when, in reality, this is a manifestation of the lousy parenting that permeates society now. It's not "cute" when your child misbehaves and you will be judged for it.

Yes.

DH and I taught our children how to behave in public. That's a good thing.

When we go out for an enjoyable dinner, we don't care to hear bratty kids pounding on the table, screaming, and whining. And when we're at a diner, I don't want to say "hello" to your kid 25 times as s/he peers at us over the back of the booth.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended. My kids love to write up and post lists of rules around the house, in the car, etc, so I could totally see them using the card to keep each other in check (which in turn keeps them occupied).

Old 11-16-2015, 07:41 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They need to talk to me, not my child.
They ARE talking to you when they hand YOU the card. Seriously, you don't get that ?!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
They ARE talking to you when they hand YOU the card. Seriously, you don't get that ?!
The card is addressed and written to the child in order to get to me through them. No, that's not ok. Hand me a adult, non-condescending version and I am fine with it. I am not ok with the way they went about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting