Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

CONCORD, N.H.—Girls would be required to talk with a guidance counselor or health professional before having an abortion under a bill proposed by a Tilton lawmaker.

more stories like thisThe bill sponsored by Democratic Sen. Kathy Sgambati requires minors to get information about carrying a pregnancy to full term and adoption. Counselors also would be required to discuss the possibility of involving a girl's parents.

Lawmakers onsiders mandatory counseling for teens before abortion - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/01/27/lawmakers_onsiders_mandatory_counseling_for_teens_ before_abortion/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
CONCORD, N.H.—Girls would be required to talk with a guidance counselor or health professional before having an abortion under a bill proposed by a Tilton lawmaker.

more stories like thisThe bill sponsored by Democratic Sen. Kathy Sgambati requires minors to get information about carrying a pregnancy to full term and adoption. Counselors also would be required to discuss the possibility of involving a girl's parents.

Lawmakers onsiders mandatory counseling for teens before abortion - Boston.com (http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2008/01/27/lawmakers_onsiders_mandatory_counseling_for_teens_ before_abortion/ - broken link)
I am 100% in favour of LEGAL and SAFE abortion on demand. Abortion is a fundamental right. That said, I do not see any harm in this. Teens need to know what it is they are doing and that there are consequences to everything as well as alternatives they might wish to consider.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
They should require counseling so that the child knows what she is getting into. The counseling should be something more than "abortion is a good thing." Any woman considering abortion should be warned about the possibility of feeling overwhelming guilt later, especially if they eventually have a baby. Some women do not suffer such guilt, some do. They should be shown pictures of what the fetus looks like and the various stages of development of the baby. They should also be told exactly how the procedure is accomplished what is done to the baby as well as what is done to the mother. Some women actually kill themselves over the guilt later in life.
No idea how often that happens, but I know it happens (at least once anyway).

Old 02-05-2008, 12:00 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
How about counseling teens before sex? Now there's an idea that makes a lick of sense.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Do it every day. Counseling goes like this. "Do not have sex or you will get a disease and die." "Well you are not dead Dad"

"How do you know? Prove it"

It seems to work. They are still wearing their promise rings. Of course I doubt that they would take them off, I would have to execute all the boys on the island.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
Despite the fact that they are pregnant, they are children. I think the counseling is a good idea. I think the counseling should include birth control counseling, counseling on what exactly is involved etc. with the abortion as well as other options other than abortion as mentioned, keeping the baby or adoption.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I think the counseling is a good idea and I don't think children under the age of consent should even have access on demand for an abortion.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
How about counseling teens before sex? Now there's an idea that makes a lick of sense.
Oh no no no!!! This will make them go out and have sex!!!

This snarky response brought to you by DG,

I am DG and I approve of this message.

I don't see any problem with giving a child information about their options. I am pro-choice, I believe that all the choices that are available under the law should be given prior to making the decision. I wonder if part of the information giving is the whole "fetus feels pain" statement.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think it is a good idea, and it certainly does not stand in the way of a teenager terminating her pregnancy. But it's really critical that the woman understand the importance of the decision being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting