Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 7,482 times

Advertisements

Hi, not sure if this is the best section to post this but it seemed like a good place.

I am 24 and DESPERATELY want to get my tubes tied. Many may say that I'm young and will change my mind but I promise you, I would NOT be a good mother by ANY means! For one I have ZERO empathy. As in while I may not go out and hurt someone at the same time I never feel any real emotion when people get hurt or I see people suffering, nor do I have any "maternal" instincts. Heck when I was 15 I was forced to hold my 6 month old niece even after I said I didn't want to and as soon as it started crying I threw it on the ground! I know that was awful but I never felt the least bit bad about it, and I know any child I would have would NOT be taken care of.

Things like BC/IUDs etc, mess with my hormones and make me sick. I just want to do me and the whole world a favor by being sterilized.

You think if I went to an OB and started spouting off tons of anti-kid stuff and say stuff like I'd kill any child I had an OB would allow me to get my tubes tied? I just KNOW I would be a horrible mother and want to make sure no child has to experience being raised or abandoned by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I think you would have better luck finding a doctor willing to do the procedure if you approach it in a saner fashion. You don't have to spout off anything, just be calm, assure the doctor you realize it is permanent, and you want it done. Are you sure your insurance will pay for it, since it's optional surgery?

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Um okay... There are non hormonal IUDs that work really well. If you have accident, just abort. No need to make a child suffer, because of your mishaps.

The only person I know who had her tubes tied in her 20s had three kids by age 21, so yeah, kind of pertinent. I believe if you pay for it out of pocket you can do whatever you want. Just call around to a bunch of OBGYN offices and see what they say. SOMEONE will do it. No need to embellish or paint a horrid picture of yourself; just ask.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Your best bet would be to find a therapist....fir your own benifit.. and because they can help you with a recommendation that this would be in your best interest.

Going to an OB and threatening children is only likely to have you an involentary mental health hold.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 PM

I have talked to a few and they have always denied it. I also don't want to go through the trauma of getting an abortion. Seems absurd I have to see a therapist just to do what I want with my own body. And I do have a good job and save so I don't care if I have to pay 110% of it, I just want it done.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 PM

And doctors have been sued after the fact when women changed their minds...and there is a bit of sordid American history with the eugenics movement.

If you are willing to pay...a few sessions with a therapist shouldn't be a problem...consider it that extra 10%

Old 11-15-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
And doctors have been sued after the fact when women changed their minds...and there is a bit of sordid American history with the eugenics movement.

If you are willing to pay...a few sessions with a therapist shouldn't be a problem...consider it that extra 10%
So do I just call up any therapist and say "Yeah I don't want kids and I need to tell you why I would be the worst mother in the world so that I can get my tubes tied"?

So what if they've been sued? Can't they ask you to sign a waiver or something before the procedure that basically says if you regret it ever you're sol?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I wonder if a man would need a therapist to verify his mental state before getting a vasectomy. Somehow, I doubt it.

You do sign a consent waiver OP, at least, I did.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAnynomous View Post
So do I just call up any therapist and say "Yeah I don't want kids and I need to tell you why I would be the worst mother in the world so that I can get my tubes tied"?

So what if they've been sued? Can't they ask you to sign a waiver or something before the procedure that basically says if you regret it ever you're sol?
Pretty much...before they do something permanent they want to make sure you understand the ramifications. Why not just call one? They aren't going to try to talk ypu into having kids...just make sure you have the full picture

What are you using for birth control now? A non hormonal iud is problem your best stop gap method used with condoms.

And there are always ways to sue...OBs have the highest malpractice insurance rates as it is...they aren't going to risk much for an elective procedure.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I wonder if a man would need a therapist to verify his mental state before getting a vasectomy. Somehow, I doubt it.

You do sign a consent waiver OP, at least, I did.
Married men do often need to get their wife's permission...or at least that she knows.

Many doctors won't do it for a man in his 20s either. I have no doubt it's probably easier for guys....but there are hoops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting